The Student Room Group

Moving away to uni. Friend is following me?

Hi all.

The title is pretty self explanatory... I'm moving to university next year because I've fallen out with so many people from my hometown. I hate this place, it's full of bad memories and i'm craving a fresh start. Moving to uni was meant to be this break until recently I found out that one of my close and only friends has a job interview in the same city.

i know what you're thinking... I should be happy that she's potentially moving... but I'm just not. I wanted to start a fresh, where no one knows me. She is a very unhappy and depressive person, and apart from her boyfriend and parents, I am the only other person she speaks too. Her boyfriend is always falling out with her and they never seem to stay together, she's always complaining to me that he's an idiot but then goes back to him and repeats the cycle! I'm so fed up of it!

She is a very demanding person and needs a lot of attention, and usually in our friendship, whatever she wants goes. I don't want to lose her as a friend because after everything I've been through she has been the only loyal person I can trust. I just wanted a fresh start and I feel like she's holding me back.

The only thing i'm holding onto (however bad this sounds) is that hopefully she won't get the job.. (it's a cabin crew job for an airline company). She hasn't got any decent work experience and no relevant qualifications, not to mention the job will probably be highly applied too because of it's nature.

If she does get the job it will be full time. The uni is about 40-50 minutes away from where she will be working, and her boyfriend is apparently going to be moving with her.. (if they don't break up for real this time).

I don't want to go to uni and have the same person texting and phoning me every 5 minutes because she wants to meet because her boyfriend has fallen out with her again or she's lonely. She knows no one in the city and this only makes me think she'll be trying to hang around with me all the time, she's not an easy person to make friends with so I doubt she'll make many friends there either.

I'm just so disheartened. I really wanted my fresh start and to begin my life to meet new people but I feel like she's following me and ruining my plans. What should I do?
Reply 1
you cant feel angry at her for working in the same town as you. its her choice and you cant control her. Is she moving there or just working. you should also see this from her point of view. you are her only friend and she values you enough to keep the friendship. she also may be applying for the job not because of you.
Reply 2
I'm not angry at her at all. I want her to be happy. But she's made a clear focus on how she's really sad that I'll be leaving and this job has cam out of nowhere! Only after I told her i was applying to this city for the university she all of a sudden decided this job was her calling in life... Bit of a coincidence, right?

I just want a fresh start, but all I'm saying is that I don't feel that I can do this with her following me.
Uni is honestly so big and immersive, I'd be surprised if you ever see her, especially if she's not attending uni. You need to start your life anew and cut her out of your life, for your own benefit. Uni, both the academic and social side of things, will totally take over your life-you simply won't have time for her.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not angry at her at all. I want her to be happy. But she's made a clear focus on how she's really sad that I'll be leaving and this job has cam out of nowhere! Only after I told her i was applying to this city for the university she all of a sudden decided this job was her calling in life... Bit of a coincidence, right?

I just want a fresh start, but all I'm saying is that I don't feel that I can do this with her following me.

If it's a cabin crew she won't be around all of the time any way particularly if it's long haul not to mention the training isn't at al forgiving you get like 3 strike and your out that is if your late thats one your uniform isn't perfect that's two you choke on the smoke test and thats it your gone.

Quick Reply

Latest