The Student Room Group

Were you once a weak student?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Student7390
I did bad in my GCSEs, but ended year 13 with 4 A*s.

What did you get for your GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trevish
What did you get for your GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

6 A*, 3 A and 3 B.
Reply 22
Original post by Student7390
6 A*, 3 A and 3 B.

That's not bad?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trevish
I'm getting holidays soon and planning to excel in my subjects!

I really really really want to get my 3A* and 2As by next year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why so specific?

What A-levels? Do not mention General Studies and Critical thinking.

Lol read my post I got a U 😂😂
Reply 24
3A*s for my A level subjects which are Economics, Accounting & Maths

2As for my AS subjects which are General Paper & French

In AS max is A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trevish
That's not bad?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Compared to most of the students in my school, it's bad.
Reply 26
Weak when it comes to STEM, strong at humanities.

Or maybe my revision was really bad when I did STEM... who knows?
I was once a 'weak' student. I had a lot of time off school (I missed 4.25 years because of medical issues) and during Primary, they never thought I was anything special. I was just a very energetic child.

I came out with average GCSE results for someone who only attended a few months of Secondary School (A*A*A*BBBCCDE) and had to teach themselves every subject because the secondary school didn't care to teach me or catch me up when I returned. (It was a bog-standard state school, the average grade is C+ apparently). I messed up my AS levels because one of my medical conditions worsened for a brief period and I came out with AAB. I got 100% in Paper 1 History, medical issues occurred during Paper 2, and got over 90% in every other exam.

I'm now in the top 5% of students. I'm in all of the high-achiever schemes and have been identified as a high achiever who has achieved highly against the odds, and predicted the highest results in a sixth form college of 2.5K (Predictions - A*A*A*A*). I'm also applying to the University of Cambridge this year, and whilst I'm unlikely to get an offer because my academic record is poor in comparison to other Oxbridge applicants, it's a nice position to be in considering the issues that I have faced.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I was once a 'weak' student. I had a lot of time off school (I missed 4.25 years because of medical issues) and during Primary, they never thought I was anything special. I was just a very energetic child.

I came out with average GCSE results for someone who only attended a few months of Secondary School (A*A*A*BBBCCDE) and had to teach themselves every subject because the secondary school didn't care (bog-standard state school, the average grade is C+ apparently). I messed up my AS levels because one of my medical conditions worsened for a brief period and I came out with AAB but 100% in all exams apart from one.

I'm now in the top 5% of students, I'm in all of the high-achiever schemes and have been identified as a high achiever who has achieved highly against the odds, and predicted the highest results in a sixth form college of 2.5K (Predictions - A*A*A*A*). I'm also applying to the University of Cambridge this year, and whilst I'm unlikely to get an offer because my academic record is poor in comparison to other Oxbridge applicants, it's a nice position to be in considering the issues that I have faced.

Even here teachers don't really work at school taking into consideration that school is free. They prefer keeping their energy for paid tuitiom after school!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maths is Life
I got no A*s -at GCSE

I failed my first year of A-levels, AS
Maths B, Physics U,Chemistry U

Resat and got my first A* in maths.(double)

Currently doing just Further Maths (double) and Physics. Along with the random AEA but not STEP. Nah m8

Hence doing this many A-levels makes me look lazy but I don't care because I WILL get 3A*s...

Just effort I'd say. And interest.

Even in my 3rd year I still regret my A-level choices. Should've took Computer Science or self taught Statistics.
This is because I concluded at the end of my first year I was only good at Maths... Although I'm too lazy to STEP

One more thing. This statement I am about to make will ruin anything I have on TSR. Pls do your best to not judge.

I got a U in GENERAL STUDIES.

I mean **** I am stupid

You're doing the same as me. Expect you're a year ahead.
Oh and I got an D in GS :u:
Original post by FailedMyMocks
You're doing the same as me. Expect you're a year ahead.
Oh and I got an D in GS :u:

Are you doing double or alongside?
I'm a year ahead because I'm resitting or you took GS early?

I came out with average GCSE results for someone who only attended a few months of Secondary School (A*A*A*BBBCCDE) and had to teach themselves every subject because the secondary school didn't care to teach me or catch me up when I returned. (It was a bog-standard state school, the average grade is C+ apparently). I messed up my AS levels because one of my medical conditions worsened for a brief period and I came out with AAB. I got 100% in Paper 1 History, medical issues occurred during Paper 2, and got over 90% in every other exam.

I'm now in the top 5% of students. I'm in all of the high-achiever schemes and have been identified as a high achiever who has achieved highly against the odds, and predicted the highest results in a sixth form college of 2.5K (Predictions - A*A*A*A*). I'm also applying to the University of Cambridge this year, and whilst I'm unlikely to get an offer because my academic record is poor in comparison to other Oxbridge applicants, it's a nice position to be in considering the issues that I have faced.

Which 3 A-levels +EPQ?
Cambridge shouldn't look too much at your GCSEs if your'e apparently a 'high' achiever=good reference.

Dem predictions doe....
Original post by Trevish
3A*s for my A level subjects which are Economics, Accounting & Maths

2As for my AS subjects which are General Paper & French

In AS max is A

Posted from TSR Mobile

You resitting some AS exams?
General Paper?

Apparently Accounting is consider 'soft'
Which 3 A-levels +EPQ?
Cambridge shouldn't look too much at your GCSEs if your'e apparently a 'high' achiever=good reference.

Dem predictions doe....

English Lit, English Language, History and EPQ :tongue:

Yeah, I hope they don't, I've more than enough medical evidence to prove that the results aren't indicative of my ability for reasons outside of my control (we've sent them two medical letters from doctors, one is dated from early 2014 when I was in Year 10 and mentions that I am "bright"). :wink:

It's that B grade at AS which I think stands in my way. (Reference is very strong, Personal Statement is exceptional apparently, Predictions are top in the year, written work is high quality... just actual achieved grades not so)
(edited 7 years ago)
English Lit, English Language, History and EPQ :tongue:

Yeah, I hope they don't, I've more than enough medical evidence to prove that the results aren't indicative of my ability for reasons outside of my control (we've sent them two medical letters from doctors, one is dated from early 2014 when I was in Year 10 and mentions that I am "bright":wink:.

It's that B grade at AS which I think stands in my way. (Reference is very strong, Personal Statement is exceptional apparently, Predictions are top in the year... just actual achieved grades not so)

Hmm. Double english now that's lazy.
😂🤔😎👌
Literally people can do double maths and english and it feels like 2 A-levels to them.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Thank you!

You are welcome. The rest is up to you. Learning is easier by far when the sense is clear.
Hmm. Double english now that's lazy.
😂🤔😎👌
Literally people can do double maths and english and it feels like 2 A-levels to them.

It was the worst choice but I was pressured into English Language when I was enrolling, and it's the dullest subject I've ever taken! :s-smilie: If I could go back and change, I would have taken English Lit, History, Philosophy and German.
Are you doing double or alongside?
I'm a year ahead because I'm resitting or you took GS early?

Basically A2 maths, AS Further and AS Finance.
Last year I did; Chem, Bio, Maths, Further and General..
Reply 39
Original post by Trevish
Hi! I was wondering if you guys were once a weak student getting results like Cs in the past and now has been able to get As or even A*s.

The reason I'm asking that is in primary school I was a bright student, received straight As( 4A*s & 2As) and getting a B was like bad for me at that time. Thanks to my 6th grade results, I was admitted to one of the best secondary schools( star college) of the country( In my country, when we are done 6th grade, the govt allocate to schools based on our results).

Now I'm in 12th grade(ending the year this week) and soon to be in 13th grade. My O level results were 2As 4Bs and 2Ds and I was somewhat satisfied with the results( even with the Ds where i thought I would failed) and I believe this attitude is bad. In short, I'm becoming weaker in studies especially in Maths where i'm struggling the most ( used to get As and A*s). I want to bring back the days where I had awesome results, that's why I want you guys to share your stories to get some Motivation!
Posted from TSR Mobile

I was told to expect a few As and then a mixture of Bs and Cs at GCSE, but I decided to put in the hard work and came out with straight A*/A and 1B. Access to higher grades comes when you put in the work where most people would give up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending