The Student Room Group

What fitness standards are the norm?

I'm applying to the RAF and I'm aware of what is required to pass the fitness tests, but what is the fitness level of the average applicant? Can include Army/Navy applicants too and I'm a girl so if any other girls can help then that's great! I can pass the fitness tests but don't want to appear below average compared to other candidates. Thanks guys!
Reply 1
Original post by charlottemayx
I'm applying to the RAF and I'm aware of what is required to pass the fitness tests, but what is the fitness level of the average applicant? Can include Army/Navy applicants too and I'm a girl so if any other girls can help then that's great! I can pass the fitness tests but don't want to appear below average compared to other candidates. Thanks guys!

It'll vary. Some will pass, some will excel. Don't worry about other people, just get as fit as you can.
Reply 2
Don't be first and don't be last.
Reply 3
Original post by NFI
Don't be first and don't be last.

What? What a useless response.

Generally speaking, the females have huge problems with the pressups and having graduated from IOT very recently I've done around 7 official fitness tests within the last 8 months so I'm speaking from plenty of recent experience. Usually the females are bang on the 10 pressups with some getting around 15. But like o said, usually they are 10 and out. Sit-ups the females tend to score well on and you should be looking to pass 35 to be competitive with the other girls. As for the beep test, I can't remember a single girl hitting level 10. They all drop out around level 8-9.

So to summarise, if you are getting 8-9 on beep test. 15 pressups and 35+ sit-ups you will be very competitive.
Reply 4
Original post by Lekzz
So to summarise, if you are getting 8-9 on beep test. 15 pressups and 35+ sit-ups you will be very competitive.

Detailed, but with all respect, not what the OP was asking.

Until they're on course (whether IOT or RTC), there doesn't seem to be that many times when people are asked for max effort, most people coming on here recently are saying they're stopped when they reach the pass mark (although the run is as fast as you can, on a treadmill rather than doing a bleep test).

So with that in mind the competitiveness doesn't really kick in till later, by which time the competition aspect is done with - you're already in.

OP just needs to carry on. If they can pass already then 99% of the battle is won, anything on top is just making their life easier.
Reply 5
Original post by Lekzz
What, what a useless response.

Is it really though?

If you come first on several occasions, and then one day you come second, you will be noticed. If you come repeatedly last then you will also draw attention to yourself.
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
Detailed, but with all respect, not what the OP was asking.

Until they're on course (whether IOT or RTC), there doesn't seem to be that many times when people are asked for max effort, most people coming on here recently are saying they're stopped when they reach the pass mark

Just to clear up, every test on IOT is max effort. The people are refering to the FAM visit which for some reason is done to the pass mark.
Reply 7
Original post by Lekzz
Just to clear up, every test on IOT is max effort. The people are refering to the FAM visit which for some reason is done to the pass mark.

Yes, every test on IOT is. Back when I did IOT that was also the case.
But not every test leading up to it is.
And neither is every test leading up to RTC. And as OP hasn't said whether they're going officer or airman, it's worth mentioning all avenues and possibilities.

OP was talking about applicants. Not people on course. There is a difference.
Yes I did forget to include that I'm going for officer! I thought I'd be one of the lower scoring females with 16 on the press ups too. Although I am worried about form and can't for the life of me find the video with it on :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest