The Student Room Group

Students - free medication or do we pay?

So I'm still in full education (university)
I'm 19
But I have to pay for my prescribed medication?
Is this like right or can I get it for free since I am in full time education.

Do I fill in the HC1 form? Or do I fill in another particular form?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Moved to health

You only get free medication if you're under 19 and in full time education. You may also get free medication if you have certain medical problems.

If you're on a low income, you can fill in a HC1 form. If you get a HC2 form, that gives you free prescriptions. A HC3 form doesn't.
Yes you have to pay, you can try a hc1 form but it's decided off household income so not everybody gets one. If they don't offer you reductions then look into a prepayment certificate if you get medication more than 4 times in 3 months. If it's any comfort lots of medications cost an awful lot more than the £8.40 you pay:tongue:
You can get a yearly one which you can pay by direct debit - roughly £10.40 for 10 months. They're worth it if you need at 13 medications a year.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Moved to health

You only get free medication if you're under 19 and in full time education. You may also get free medication if you have certain medical problems.

If you're on a low income, you can fill in a HC1 form. If you get a HC2 form, that gives you free prescriptions. A HC3 form doesn't.

Thank you!
I'm not sure what's considered as a 'low' household income?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's the same as JSA + £5 per week after housing costs are paid. There are disregards for books and travel.
It's the same as JSA + £5 per week after housing costs are paid. There are disregards for books and travel.

Ooh right
I probably qualify
My medication costs £8.50 and I will need it for the next two years as I've got over arise thyroid
So I'll pay for it now and see what happens

Thanks for the help!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Bloom77
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are recieving student finance you will not count as low income. I believe the only possible way yo would be able to get free prescriptions is if you are medically exempt. For this you would need one of some specific health problems which I doubt you would have.
It's worth asking at your pharmacy though. If you need regular prescriptions you may be able to save money with pre-payment. You pay a lump sum at the start of the year which then covers you for any prescriptions on the NHS even if they add up to more than that maamount. It's what I did when I needed regular prescriptions. :smile:
Original post by Bloom77
Ooh right
I probably qualify
My medication costs £8.50 and I will need it for the next two years as I've got over arise thyroid

Thanks for the help!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not hyperparathyroidism/is the medication levothyroxine you have per chance? Ask for an NHS receipt when you go just in case you are exempt.
Reply 9
I thought all prescriptions were free??? No matter how old you are?
Original post by AJP98
I thought all prescriptions were free??? No matter how old you are?

Not in England.
Reply 11
Not in England.

For real?? Oh grim
Original post by Bloom77
Ooh right
I probably qualify

Thanks for the help!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

See the medical exemptions on here: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx

You might be eligible for an exemption card

Also anyone reading this thread who might come under "a continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person." - this needs signing off by your GP and most GPs are fairly flexible on what they'll class as eligible. It's always worth asking (even if you DO go out without help from another person - if you need help in certain situations/circumstances then ASK).
Original post by Kindred
If you are recieving student finance you will not count as low income. I believe the only possible way yo would be able to get free prescriptions is if you are medically exempt. For this you would need one of some specific health problems which I doubt you would have.
It's worth asking at your pharmacy though. If you need regular prescriptions you may be able to save money with pre-payment. You pay a lump sum at the start of the year which then covers you for any prescriptions on the NHS even if they add up to more than that maamount. It's what I did when I needed regular prescriptions. :smile:

unless things have changed over the past few years this is wrong. I received free prescriptions at uni from the HC1 scheme and recieved quite a bit from student finance.
It goes on personal income not family income. Its worth applying no matter what the outcome as you dont lose anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
unless things have changed over the past few years this is wrong. I received free prescriptions at uni from the HC1 scheme and recieved quite a bit from student finance.
It goes on personal income not family income. Its worth applying no matter what the outcome as you dont lose anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends if you get max loan you can't always get it, I tried as a student. I ve served a few in my job who tried with a hc1 and end up having to pay, and have to explain to quite a few surprised 19 year olds they have you pay now.
Reply 15
Original post by claireestelle
It depends if you get max loan you can't always get it, I tried as a student. I ve served a few in my job who tried with a hc1 and end up having to pay, and have to explain to quite a few surprised 19 year olds they have you pay now.

I have a HC1 one form and I get student finance :holmes: From my knowledge it's because I live away from home and my student finance is my income and given I receive about £7200 a year, so I don't see any reason why the OP couldn't get one?
Original post by Deyesy
I have a HC1 one form and I get student finance :holmes: From my knowledge it's because I live away from home and my student finance is my income and given I receive about £7200 a year, so I don't see any reason why the OP couldn't get one?

Do you mean a hc2 certificate:tongue: ?
I think for me it's because I had plenty left after my rental costs and savings whereas many students wouldn't.
Do you mean a hc2 certificate:tongue: ?
I think for me it's because I had plenty left after my rental costs and savings whereas many students wouldn't.

I got nearly max loan. But it all depends on your rent and stuff. They class SF as wages if you will so its on personal income and if you have any savings and how much rent you pay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
I got nearly max loan. But it all depends on your rent and stuff. They class SF as wages if you will so its on personal income and if you have any savings and how much rent you pay

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did have very cheap rent so had plenty to spare to buy inhalers with,knowing that they actual cost the NHS )£50,£16.80 seemed pretty fair really:tongue:
It's not hyperparathyroidism/is the medication levothyroxine you have per chance? Ask for an NHS receipt when you go just in case you are exempt.

Ive been on Levothyroxine for years and if you're on that its free.

Quick Reply

Latest