The Student Room Group

If Trump is elected, will he be able to do anything drastic?

Scroll to see replies

Drastic like what? He is going to fulfill his policies?
Depends what is meant by drastic, but simply put: yes.

A lot of his polcies are actually in step with tue congressional GOP meaning he will be able to do a lot. The things we hear (our media being brilliant at impartiality and all) probably won't, tje wall for inatance will be difficult to get past congress.

It's alsp worth noting that this is an important epectionf for the SCOTUS, and a Trump win would strengthen the Conservarive majority and make it last another few decades, which will have a major impact.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
Depends what is meant by drastic, but simply put: yes.

A lot of his polcies are actually in step with tue congressional GOP meaning he will be able to do a lot. The things we hear (our media being brilliant at impartiality and all) probably won't, tje wall for inatance will be difficult to get past congress.

It's alsp worth noting that this is an important epectionf for the SCOTUS, and a Trump win would strengthen the Conservarive majority and make it last another few decades, which will have a major impact.

I don't think he'll need Congressional approval for a wall because we already have one. Just not not a very good one. Look for the term "wall augmentation". The cost of construction will be included in the budget
Original post by JapanNet

In the same way that anyone who opposes obama is called a racist, anyone who opposes Trump will be called an obstructionist.
If the Democrats control Congress then he'll be a lame duck POTUS . The same applies to Clinton should she be elected & Republicans control Congress.
It does sound like Trump has alienated a fair amount of GOP Congressmen/women so even a tame Congress might not allow him to carry out some of the more outlandish policies.
If I remember correctly, Supreme Court nominations also have to make it through Congress.

Yeah, ur mom
Original post by oldercon1953
I don't think he'll need Congressional approval for a wall because we already have one. Just not not a very good one. Look for the term "wall augmentation". The cost of construction will be included in the budget

To build it requires money, that money needs approving by congress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tempest II
If the Democrats control Congress then he'll be a lame duck POTUS . The same applies to Clinton should she be elected & Republicans control Congress.
It does sound like Trump has alienated a fair amount of GOP Congressmen/women so even a tame Congress might not allow him to carry out some of the more outlandish policies.
If I remember correctly, Supreme Court nominations also have to make it through Congress.

SCOTUS needs the approval of the Senate, odds are the house won't change if trump wins because hopefully people will be doing the whole ticket and they've controlled districting for that long it isn't really a case of can the Democrats win, more a case of how much they can shrink the majority, they have a big one to break down.

Senate is much closer, with a tie being a very real possibility which would mean less conservative justices but conservative none the less, say pro Roe v Wade to get enough Democrats on side. The republicans were able to hold things off a year, neither side can manage 4 years, especially with the multiple appointments that will be needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tempest II

Exactly
To build it requires money, that money needs approving by congress.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Money for the wall would be included in the budget for. It wouldn't be voted on as a separate issue. Like I said, we already have a border fence and a wall in some places where the illegals havent torn it down. A wall and 24 hour drone patrols is a simple idea that would work. Drones work in the Middle East so why not here?

Doubtful. He just wants to become president for the sake of it. He's just talking hot air...
He's full of drastic ideas, but he won't be able to do anything because it'll face extreme criticism from Congress or whatever and none of it will be funded by them.

But then again, he does have all that.. money.
Money for the wall would be included in the budget for. It wouldn't be voted on as a separate issue. Like I said, we already have a border fence and a wall in some places where the illegals havent torn it down. A wall and 24 hour drone patrols is a simple idea that would work. Drones work in the Middle East so why not here?

And when congress say "we will refuse to pass any budget with the wall in" who do you think will be blamed for the ensuing government shut down? I'm pretty sure there have been shut downs over less

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have no issue with Trump. You guys need to go see all the stuff Hillary has done!
And when congress say "we will refuse to pass any budget with the wall in" who do you think will be blamed for the ensuing government shut down? I'm pretty sure there have been shut downs over less

Posted from TSR Mobile

The House controls the purse strings, not the Senate, and the House is Republican controlled. The funds will simply be added to the existing budget and there are around 16,000 border patrol workers salaries tied to the budget so I'm sure they'll be no problem. Not to worry. " Mexicos going to pay for it "

Something else to consider; Every elected official who has distanced himself from Trump is going to be a part of the greatest ass-kissing campaign you've ever seen. Very few are going to willingly put themselves in Trumps sights by opposing him. You will see only the most left wing Senators opposing him. Trump now says he's pushing for term limitations. This alone will solve most of the problems we face.

The term, "drain the swamp", was raised at a Trump rally. He was talking about Washington D.C.. The American people know this is what is needed at this point to fix things.
The House controls the purse strings, not the Senate, and the House is Republican controlled. The funds will simply be added to the existing budget and there are around 16,000 border patrol workers salaries tied to the budget so I'm sure they'll be no problem. Not to worry. " Mexicos going to pay for it "

Something else to consider; Every elected official who has distanced himself from Trump is going to be a part of the greatest ass-kissing campaign you've ever seen. Very few are going to willingly put themselves in Trumps sights by opposing him. You will see only the most left wing Senators opposing him. Trump now says he's pushing for term limitations. This alone will solve most of the problems we face.

The term, "drain the swamp", was raised at a Trump rally. He was talking about Washington D.C.. The American people know this is what is needed at this point to fix things.

So because the house will almost certianly be Republican means they will automatically give Trump exactly what he wants? I doubt it, many of them will have their own reelection in the midterms stopping them doing that.
So because the house will almost certianly be Republican means they will automatically give Trump exactly what he wants? I doubt it, many of them will have their own reelection in the midterms stopping them doing that.

For Republicans to oppose Trump now is one thing, to oppose him after being elected is something else.
Keep this in mind; if it looks like Trump is going to be successful in " draining the swamp ", something every American wants, he will go down as a true revolutionary President. NO ONE will want to be on the record as opposing him except, like I said, the most far-left whack jobs in Congress.
Trump has now committed to executing a number of actions upon taking office; immigration reform, removing the cap on defense spending, etc. My guess is, the more he remains true to doing what he promised, the more the American people will back him and all the more reason why those up for mid-teerm election won't want to appear as obstructionist
Original post by 2016_GCSE
I have no issue with Trump. You guys need to go see all the stuff Hillary has done!

Exactly!! This is what baffles me. Not only is she corrupt to her core, but she accomplished NOTHING as S.O.S.. Nothing but messy failure. Trump my be a little rough around the edges and maybe grabbed a few female crotches but we're not electing a Sunday school teacher. Some of the Republicans who have distanced themselves from him are already beginning to see THEY were victims of political correctness and are coming back into camp.
If power resides where men believe it resides. Surely it also matters where the most powerful believe it resides?

Quick Reply

Latest