The Student Room Group

How Do You Become An Investment Banker???

Scroll to see replies

PorcineAviation
Maths, Further Maths, Physics are good choices. Finance is a waste of time. Chemistry is a solid subject, but you may find more benefit in taking Economics for variety and demonstrating versatility (or at least an Arts subject you enjoy and is well-regarded, e.g. History, English).

Your focus now should be on getting excellent GCSEs (mostly A*s) and excellent A-Levels (A* in Maths, at least A in others) to give you the best shot of getting into a top university (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Imperial). If, as you aspire to, you got into Cambridge for Maths, you would be excellently placed to move into Finance.

There's no point planning any further ahead than this, as your perspective and aspirations will evolve, and you want to keep your options open.

Thanks very much, I'll look into economics, and what it involves. I've spoken to various people doing further maths, and it looks very interesting to me. I'll speak to the careers person at my school.

Many thanks for the advice!
BetterThanHeaven
If this whole MC banter doesn't work out for you, you'll make a fantastic "life planner", or at least careers person at school :smile:

But I have no tolerance for stupid people. I think it could be an issue.
ben.stokell
Thanks very much, I'll look into economics, and what it involves. I've spoken to various people doing further maths, and it looks very interesting to me. I'll speak to the careers person at my school.

Many thanks for the advice!

Dare I say, if you want to go into management consultancy/investment banking, your careers person at school won't know ****. It's a brash generalisation, but for the most part they'll no idea what goes on inside an IB let alone trying to get into it.

The prior advice is fairly formulaic, so to speak, and is almost fail-proof for getting into a good uni if you do well . If you don't follow the advice then by no means of the imagination will you not end up in MC/IB. I've heard of at least one place not looking at a certain cross-section of applicants because they were indiscernable between one another.

I think 'aiming' for Maths and Cambridge is a little overzealous. A lot of the younger guys I worked with were Maths grads, but others had done Accounting & Finance so to speak. I've met people in Sales with English/History backgrounds.

If you legitimately want to do Maths at university go for it, but aim for something which while relevant, you at least think you'll enjoy.
PorcineAviation
But I have no tolerance for stupid people. I think it could be an issue.

Fly on the wall BBC mockumentary me thinks.
BetterThanHeaven
Fly on the wall BBC mockumentary me thinks.

"Comedy night on BBC 2. At 9 o'clock, 'Realism: How to address university over-attendance' followed at 10 by 'Nevermind the Buzzcocks'."
BetterThanHeaven
Dare I say, if you want to go into management consultancy/investment banking, your careers person at school won't know ****. It's a brash generalisation, but for the most part they'll no idea what goes on inside an IB let alone trying to get into it.

The prior advice is fairly formulaic, so to speak, and is almost fail-proof for getting into a good uni if you do well . If you don't follow the advice then by no means of the imagination will you not end up in MC/IB. I've heard of at least one place not looking at a certain cross-section of applicants because they were indiscernable between one another.

I think 'aiming' for Maths and Cambridge is a little overzealous. A lot of the younger guys I worked with were Maths grads, but others had done Accounting & Finance so to speak. I've met people in Sales with English/History backgrounds.

If you legitimately want to do Maths at university go for it, but aim for something which while relevant, you at least think you'll enjoy.

Yeah, I know I may not get into cambridge, but I would like to go to on of the universities mentioned earlier in the discussion. As for the degree, I'll look into what a maths degree entails, but (at least at the moment), I really enjoy maths, and it is on of my favourite subjects.

Thanks for the helpful advice :smile:
Reply 46
Does anybody know whether students finishing their placements in the summer would be eligible for summer internships with Investment Banks?

Im curious because most of them advertise to penultimate year students and technically one could argue that placement students still fall into that category.
Reply 47
Original post by jasinder
i no this is way way of track but does anyone know which is harder, a level chem or a level physics

Everyone saying Physics: WRONG, yess its probably harder a degree level, however imperial (i think may be a different uni) compared predicted grades to real grades and other variables to find the hardest A levels, and chemistry came out on top, as the hardest, physics just behind it.
I have an offer from Warwick and Durham to study History. I too am looking towards a career in finance (potentially investment banking).
Is Durham a target University for IBs, and do you reckon its a better university to go to over Warwick?
Thanks, realise this is an old post.
Original post by History_Grad
I have an offer from Warwick and Durham to study History. I too am looking towards a career in finance (potentially investment banking).
Is Durham a target University for IBs, and do you reckon its a better university to go to over Warwick?
Thanks, realise this is an old post.

Warwick > Durham. Durham is a semi-target.
Anyone in this thread know of many international students who have broken into the IB sector ?
Reply 51
Yeah, plenty. Usually after an internship
How long is a general internship for these investment banks ? Do I do it during my university years ? Because I have only 4 months for my visa to expire by which time I should transition to a tier 2 work visa. What's the general procedure ?
Original post by rehan1996
How long is a general internship for these investment banks ? Do I do it during my university years ? Because I have only 4 months for my visa to expire by which time I should transition to a tier 2 work visa. What's the general procedure ?

Springs are 1-2 weeks

Summers are 8-10 weeks
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Springs are 1-2 weeks

Summers are 8-10 weeks

Generally around how many internships to land a job ?
Original post by rehan1996
Generally around how many internships to land a job ?

Most people going onto grad schemes have a penultimate year summer - work year exp.

Not necessary but does make your CV somewhat noticeable.

What's your profile?
Try joining a Masonic Lodge. Then they might get you into one of these jobs through their connections. Then once you get the job all you have to do is gamble with people's money while getting paid a million pound bonus. Always make sure to switch jobs after each year, then if your gambles don't work out it's not your responsibility any more! It won't hurt the banks because they're "too big to fail" and your Masonic friends in government will always bail them out. Once you become a Masonic Grand Master then they might give you a job as the head of the Bank of England. That way you can just skim off a few million pounds a month to fund your lavish lifestyle. Other perks include access to the secret bunga bunga parties with world leaders. Have fun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending