The Student Room Group

nato - assembling biggest troop buildup since cold war

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Dodgypirate
I reckon something will.

I would call this intimidation not prevention.

I ****ing hate it.

its horrible :frown:
i too reckon something will, hopefully not when my partner is in estonia!
Original post by shawtyb
its horrible :frown:
i too reckon something will, hopefully not when my partner is in estonia!

You go right thinking the worst will happen then. No amount of reason is going to convince you otherwise. The evidence suggest its just Russia carrying out a more aggressive foreign policy.

As pointed out to you the reason troops are moving there is a sign of soidarity and to indicate to Russia that Nato will defend its other members.

You have got any risk wildly out of proportion. You or your partner are more likely to get run over tomorrow. Suit yourself though dooooooomit is with an extra portion of doom.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
I'm in Year 12... A-Levels (English Resit) (Passed Math, Core Science, Additional Science, Business)

I thkiyght you said you only managed 3 GCSE's and thats why they wouldnt let you into sixth form and you were at college just a few weeks ago? Am I not to believe anything you write?
This is why you listen to them. Then go do the research online. Skip the middleman which is a reporter.

Thats the problem with your research you just rush to youtube and take any old video. You post stuff claiming it means X or Y when it clearly does not.
Original post by 999tigger
I thkiyght you said you only managed 3 GCSE's and thats why they wouldnt let you into sixth form and you were at college just a few weeks ago? Am I not to believe anything you write?

It is 3 and a L2P in Business equivalent to a C.

And I was in talks with the 6th form to see if there was any way I could still enter.

Now i'm back.
Original post by 999tigger
Thats the problem with your research you just rush to youtube and take any old video. You post stuff claiming it means X or Y when it clearly does not.

Well if you listened you would understand. I replay at least 3 times to understand.
Original post by Drewski

Or like the time the PrimeMinister said there would be no UK action in Syria and then used RAF aircraft to launch strikes in Syria.

Highly misleading. He said no UK action in Syria in 2013 when we were discussing bombing government targets and it was rejected by parliament. 2 years later RAF aircraft started bombing ISIS targets in Syria after a successful parliamentary vote. Completely different circumstances for each, and regarding completely different sides of the Syrian war.
Russia has recently carried out Nuclear drills with 40 million citizens.

Clinton has exclaimed that she will go to war with a nation over a Cyber Attack. (So if 1 citizen launches some kind of attack = war) Just imagine her sending troops to Russia. I would expect instant nuclear launch.

I expect WW3 in the next year as I have said before. But some people really can't look beyond the sticky mess of mainstream news.

Good grief!

What you need to realise is that politics is about sabre rattling.

The troop deployment will deter Putin from directly engaging in military action with NATO.

It sends a message that NATO is very real and has very, very, big teeth.

Putin and his cronies are using fear as a propaganda took to deflect Russian public opinion away from the pitiful state of the economy and bolster his macho brand of autocratic leadership at home.

Putin knows that immediately after the U.S. election, his window of opportunity to assert his strategic and tactical position in the middle East will rapidly close.

The Russians know they are on borrowed time. Their forces are potent and can inflict damage, but they are absolutely no match whatsoever to those of the U.S. and woefully outgunned by NATO.

The Kuznetsov carrier group cold only sustain intense combat for less than an hour before completely depleting fuel and armaments.

Many NATO air bases are within reach of them in the med- Cyprus, Incirlik, Crete, Izmir and others. Couple that with the undoubted hunter-killer subs shadowing the group and I would not give them much chance before being annihilated.

Putin will not use nukes. Clinton can sabre rattle with the best.

The Cold War is about keeping the other side guessing while keeping yourself in the driving seat and Putin wants to stay in his for a very long time to come.
Original post by uberteknik
Putin knows that immediately after the U.S. election, his window of opportunity to assert his strategic and tactical position in the middle East will rapidly close.

Yes, Clinton and the Gulf states will become more hawkish in the region in order to prevent the Russo-Shia alliance from turning the Shia crescent into a viable network capable of challenging the status quo, but do you honestly believe that Assad, the Iranian regime and its new puppet government in Iraq, Hezbollah, and now the Egyptian regime will suddenly turn their backs on Putin; and that he will leave them to dry in the sun?
Reply 49
Original post by Drewski
I agree, but there is a basic principle that just because someone has said something that you don't need to take it verbatim, which is what nutjob of an OP does every other day.

im not a ****ing nutjob!
Original post by uberteknik
Many NATO air bases are within reach of them in the med- Cyprus, Incirlik, Crete, Izmir and others. Couple that with the undoubted hunter-killer subs shadowing the group and I would not give them much chance before being annihilated.

I'm sure Vlad will think nothing of the annihilation of the Northern Fleet and let the affair slide without retaliating.

The Cold War is about keeping the other side guessing while keeping yourself in the driving seat and Putin wants to stay in his for a very long time to come.

He isn't the only one who wants to stay in his seat for foreseeable future - the Russian people know full-well that the country would collapse without him/his circle at the helm.

And the same can be said about the neocons insatiable appetite for power in Washington.
Putin is dangerous.
Original post by shawtyb
im not a ****ing nutjob!

Sorry, meant GCSE goon, forgot this wasn't his thread, merely that he hijacked it with lunacy. Have edited
Reply 53
Original post by Drewski
Sorry, meant GCSE goon, forgot this wasn't his thread, merely that he hijacked it with lunacy. Have edited

was gonna say :frown:
Original post by Drewski

Damn. You are a flamewar bandit in the corner of this online site.

Lunacy.... Goon.... Really? My points are based on fact.
what is a nato ? i dont remember unfortunately
Really? My points are based on fact.

In the same way that homeopathy is based on science.
Original post by Drewski
In the same way that homeopathy is based on science.

Sure. If that's how you view it.
homeopathy has chemicals in it dude ...lol
Original post by cbreef
You seem very paranoid by this. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that anything will materialise from this. It's just a bolstering statement. NATO is drawing the line.

Drawing the line ever closer to the Russian border.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending