The Student Room Group

How much do you study crime in a law degree?

For a few years now I've been interested in criminal cases and crime and have wanted to pursue this further so was thinking of studying law. I was contemplating criminology but no good unis seemed to offer it and it seems to be much less prestigious than law. So I was wondering, if I choose law, how much criminal law do you look at or is it all fields of law?

On my personal statement I'd reference watching criminal documentaries and doing an EPQ on a famous case but would this not be advisanle for law? If I'm mainly interested in the criminal aspect, would law be the wrong option?
Original post by GCSEdward
For a few years now I've been interested in criminal cases and crime and have wanted to pursue this further so was thinking of studying law. I was contemplating criminology but no good unis seemed to offer it and it seems to be much less prestigious than law. So I was wondering, if I choose law, how much criminal law do you look at or is it all fields of law?

On my personal statement I'd reference watching criminal documentaries and doing an EPQ on a famous case but would this not be advisanle for law? If I'm mainly interested in the criminal aspect, would law be the wrong option?

You do a bit. You will study a single criminal law module as one of your core modules. Tort law has also got overlaps with criminal law, so you'd probably enjoy that, and is also one of the core modules.

Outside your core modules you could do a criminal law dissertation and, potentially, study international criminal law, human rights, and other areas which overlap.

Nevertheless, a lot of a law degree is focused on civil matters, not criminal. Make sure you bear that in mind! #Moooose
Reply 2
Original post by GCSEdward

my uni offer criminology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending