The Student Room Group

I feel so awkward when it comes to hugging someone....

So in my family, no one really hugs each other and I haven't had any 'girl- friends' as such who constantly hug each other every time they meet like they haven't met in a year.
So basically I never know what to do when someone hugs me at a gathering even just in a friendly away or even a relative
I just get so awkward and never really hug properly.. am i the only one? How do I get myself to stop stiffening when someone hugs me
can't think of another word to describe it.
The only way to be comfortable with it is to embrace these awkward moments. My family wasn't very affectionate and then out of nowhere we all started hugging each other. I only hug family members, my boyfriend and occasionally people I haven't seen in ages.
Original post by phunky_fresh
The only way to be comfortable with it is to embrace these awkward moments. My family wasn't very affectionate and then out of nowhere we all started hugging each other. I only hug family members, my boyfriend and occasionally people I haven't seen in ages.

To me hugging only feels right with your partner, no one else. It just feels far too intimate of a thing to do it with friends or anyone else. I'm just saying how it feels to me. Because I feel this way I find it hard to understand how people are comfortable hugging each other, I mean it's a good thing to do I wish I was comfortable doing it but it's just not for me.
Original post by indigofox
To me hugging only feels right with your partner, no one else. It just feels far too intimate of a thing to do it with friends or anyone else. I'm just saying how it feels to me. Because I feel this way I find it hard to understand how people are comfortable hugging each other, I mean it's a good thing to do I wish I was comfortable doing it but it's just not for me.
There's nothing wrong with that. I experience awkward hugs often with people tbh but it would rude to refuse them in most cases , especially when it comes to family. I only really initiate hugs with my boyfriend.
Hugging triggers my ptsd.
Aside from my family, i only ever hug people if I'm drunk.
I'm not really a fan of people touching me in general unless it's a handshake, so guess it comes from there
Original post by Anonymous
So in my family, no one really hugs each other and I haven't had any 'girl- friends' as such who constantly hug each other every time they meet like they haven't met in a year.
So basically I never know what to do when someone hugs me at a gathering even just in a friendly away or even a relative
I just get so awkward and never really hug properly.. am i the only one? How do I get myself to stop stiffening when someone hugs me
can't think of another word to describe it.
I'm the same. It's just your personality, there's nothing wrong with disliking hugs. You don't have to hug people if you don't want to. I agree with the other people on here - it's more of a thing I would see myself doing with a partner and no one else

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending