The Student Room Group

Becoming a surgeon?Ok?

Hello,As you may or may not know,i would love to become a surgeon...
I have done for many many years...
For the last 2 months i tested myself by considering all possible career(only 3) to make sure that is Exactly what i want to do and it sure is...

So here is my academic record and please provide me with assistance...I will TRY to keep this short but no promises:smile:

At the start of Y11
GCSE:Predicted 10 A*'s and 2 As
A-level:Chosen:Physics,Biology,Chemistry,Maths,Further Maths
Extra-Curricular:5 Non-related to medicine,2 Related to Medicine
Work experience:Only 15 years old But my dad is a surgeon and got one week shadowing...

Useful Info:
Most pf my family including My Dad are doctors/surgeons
Academically v.strong
V.Good memory
I have already started revising for my GCSE's(Too early?)

Any tips on the following aspects:

-Work experience
-Volunteering
-Academic aspects
-A-levels
-Things to looks out for
-Tips
-Ideas in general
-Other useful info. is also greatly apprecaited

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
If by 15, you mean 15 days of work experience, definitely try and get more experience at hospitals. And whilst you're there, talk to some of the doctors or medics you work with because hearing what it's like from their perspective will hopefully help. I did 2 weeks of work experience at a hospital as part of a project, and hearing what it's like to be a doctor from an actual doctor really did change my views. If what they say confirms what you already know, I'm sure you'll be a wonderful surgeon. In terms of academics, you seem to be fine :smile: Also, it's never too early to start revising. The earlier you start, the better it will be for you in the long run
Original post by JustARandomer123
If by 15, you mean 15 days of work experience, definitely try and get more experience at hospitals. And whilst you're there, talk to some of the doctors or medics you work with because hearing what it's like from their perspective will hopefully help. I did 2 weeks of work experience at a hospital as part of a project, and hearing what it's like to be a doctor from an actual doctor really did change my views. If what they say confirms what you already know, I'm sure you'll be a wonderful surgeon. In terms of academics, you seem to be fine :smile: Also, it's never too early to start revising. The earlier you start, the better it will be for you in the long run

Hey,sorry about the confusion...I am 15 in TERMS OF AGE:smile:..Not days of WE
so i am under-aged for WE and i already have a week,is this good>
Are my academics really good or just suitable?
Also,most of my family are doctors and surgeons so i talk to them a LOT
Thanks,Any other help will also be appreciated!
Original post by VNN
Hey,sorry about the confusion...I am 15 in TERMS OF AGE:smile:..Not days of WE
so i am under-aged for WE and i already have a week,is this good>
Are my academics really good or just suitable?
Also,most of my family are doctors and surgeons so i talk to them a LOT
Thanks,Any other help will also be appreciated!

Ohhh, right. Makes more sense. A week is good, considering you're only 15. But when you're older, you'll want to look for a lot more experience. Your academics are good for the profession you're heading for, you just need to make sure you get your predicted grades. You don't necessarily have to get all A*'s to be a surgeon, but you can try. And see if you can talk to people outside of your family; you'll get a much less biased opinion
Original post by VNN
Hello,As you may or may not know,i would love to become a surgeon...
I have done for many many years...
For the last 2 months i tested myself by considering all possible career(only 3) to make sure that is Exactly what i want to do and it sure is...

So here is my academic record and please provide me with assistance...I will TRY to keep this short but no promises:smile:

At the start of Y11
GCSE:Predicted 10 A*'s and 2 As
A-level:Chosen:Physics,Biology,Chemistry,Maths,Further Maths
Extra-Curricular:5 Non-related to medicine,2 Related to Medicine
Work experience:Only 15 years old But my dad is a surgeon and got one week shadowing...

Useful Info:
Most pf my family including My Dad are doctors/surgeons
Academically v.strong
V.Good memory
I have already started revising for my GCSE's(Too early?)

Any tips on the following aspects:

-Work experience
-Volunteering
-Academic aspects
-A-levels
-Things to looks out for
-Tips
-Ideas in general
-Other useful info. is also greatly apprecaited

Thanks!

^Bump^

Quick Reply