The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester Black African/Caribbean Applicants 2017 Entry

Poll

What African/Caribbean country are you or your family from? (Can choose more than 1)

Hey everyone. Since Leicester is a university known to be popular for African and Caribbean students, I thought it'd be nice to start a thread for black applicants. So a little about me:

Origin: Guyanese - Hopefully there's more Guyanese applying, I know we're few and far between
Applied For: Medicine and Medical Physiology
Offer? Interviews?: Got an unconditional offer for physiology which is my insurance and still waiting to hear back for Medicine.

Please vote in the poll with the country you/your family is originally from!

Scroll to see replies

Origin: Zimbabwe (whoop whoop x)
Applied For: Law with Criminology
Offer? Interviews?: Got a conditional: AAB
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Banter0113
Origin: Zimbabwe (whoop whoop x)
Applied For: Law with Criminology
Offer? Interviews?: Got a conditional: AAB

Congrats on the offer! Are you thinking of putting it as your firm or your insurance?
Origin: Zimbabwe & Uganda
Applied for: Computing with study abroad
Offer: Nope, only received 2/5 offers so far
If I do get an offer, I have a difficult decision in deciding whether to go to Kent or Leicester 😭
Original post by squirrology
If I do get an offer, I have a difficult decision in deciding whether to go to Kent or Leicester 😭

ayeee another zim zimma!! and which ones have you received? Leicester is the place to go for ethnic minorities
Original post by mkg99
Congrats on the offer! Are you thinking of putting it as your firm or your insurance?

Hey thanks! x im gonna deffo put it as my first!! x
Original post by mkg99
Hey everyone. Since Leicester is a university known to be popular for African and Caribbean students, I thought it'd be nice to start a thread for black applicants. So a little about me:

Origin: Guyanese - Hopefully there's more Guyanese applying, I know we're few and far between
Offer? Interviews?: Got an unconditional offer for physiology which is my insurance and still waiting to hear back for Medicine.

what subjects do you do?
Reply 7
Original post by MajorFader
what subjects do you do?

I take Biology, Chemistry and Politics (weird mix I know). How about you?
Reply 8

Hopefully you'll get your other 3 offers soon! I've not heard much about Kent Uni, what's it like? Have you visited both? That's probably he best way to make your final decision:smile:
Reply 9
Origin: Nigeria
Applied For: Law
Offer? Interview?: Unconditional offer. No interview
Reply 10
Original post by buksie
Origin: Nigeria
Applied For: Law
Offer? Interview?: Unconditional offer. No interview

Congrats on the unconditional! Is Leicester your first choice?
Reply 11
Original post by mkg99
Congrats on the unconditional! Is Leicester your first choice?

Thank you. I'm not sure yet tbh. I knew from the start that if I got in, it would either be my firm or insurance, but the unconditional bit has kind of thrown me. It's my first offer so far, so I guess we'll watch the space.

Is Leicester your first choice?
Reply 12
Original post by buksie
Thank you. I'm not sure yet tbh. I knew from the start that if I got in, it would either be my firm or insurance, but the unconditional bit has kind of thrown me. It's my first offer so far, so I guess we'll watch the space.

Is Leicester your first choice?

Yeah I know what you mean, it is really tempting to put it as your first and be guaranteed a place. Where else have you applied?
I've applied for Leicester twice, one is definitely my insurance but if I get an offer from KCL, that would be my firm. KCL is looking unlikely though so I might end up with Leicester as my first and second choice!
Reply 13
Is anyone else a little bit worried about the reputation Leicester has socially?:s-smilie:
Original post by Banter0113
ayeee another zim zimma!! and which ones have you received? Leicester is the place to go for ethnic minorities

So far been invited to an interview & applicant day for Kent and Conditional offer for Brunel. Yeah, that's one main reason why I applied there. I will most likely end up firming Leicester if I get an offer. Have you received any offers from other Uni's yet?
Original post by mkg99
Hopefully you'll get your other 3 offers soon! I've not heard much about Kent Uni, what's it like? Have you visited both? That's probably he best way to make your final decision

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to visit either of them, I've had to rely on prospectus', university fairs etc. to formulate my choices. However, I will most likely firm Leicester because the course modules are more Maths/Programming based in comparison to Kent modules.
I'm slightly worried about the reputation for Leicester socially, I'm not really a party or loud person tbh
Reply 16
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to visit either of them, I've had to rely on prospectus', university fairs etc. to formulate my choices. However, I will most likely firm Leicester because the course modules are more Maths/Programming based in comparison to Kent modules.
I'm slightly worried about the reputation for Leicester socially, I'm not really a party or loud person tbh

Usually you get invited to offer holders days though so at least you'll be able to see campus before next September. If you prefer the Leicester course then that's the most important thing.
I am quite a sociable person but I'm worried doing medicine there would be difficult as I can't afford to get distracted and lag behind. Nevertheless I still really want to go to balance out all my years spent at a very white school. Hopefully we'll fall into the right crowds so we can work and still have fun! I guess our experiences will be whatever we make them
Reply 17
Original post by mkg99

Hi I got a conditional with this university but what accomodation would you recommend to be closest to campus because I hate long walks and also i was looking into Digby halls but i hated the Bathrooms and I have heard bad stuff about it like how its quite far
Original post by A.O.M
Hi I got a conditional with this university but what accomodation would you recommend to be closest to campus because I hate long walks and also i was looking into Digby halls but i hated the Bathrooms and I have heard bad stuff about it like how its quite far

Hey! Opal court and nixon court are like a short walk (10 minutes) from campus and are very close to the town too. the downside is that alot of 2nd and 3rd year students stay in the city living so you wont have as many 1st year friends
Origin:Ghana
Applied For: Biological sciences (Neuroscience)
Offer? Interviews?: Got a conditional offer (ABB)

Quick Reply