The Student Room Group

Best Printer to Use for University?

Hi all,

Please could someone recommend me a printer to use for university as printing at university is very inconvenient for me.

I need a colour printer that can print things quite swiftly. I do not need a printer that can print high quality photos on glossy paper or things along those lines.

My budget is Β£100-Β£200.

Thank you very much,

Ash
Original post by AshEntropy
Hi all,

Please could someone recommend me a printer to use for university as printing at university is very inconvenient for me.

I need a colour printer that can print things quite swiftly. I do not need a printer that can print high quality photos on glossy paper or things along those lines.

Thank you very much,

Ash

Have you not researched yourself? Search for fast printers ie inkjet. Search for printers that can print in colour and/or have a lot of web support.
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/peripherals/best-printer-16-top-inkjet-and-laser-printers-934172
Inkjets are kind of trash though.
Reply 3
Original post by Kiritsugu
Have you not researched yourself? Search for fast printers ie inkjet. Search for printers that can print in colour and/or have a lot of web support.
http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/peripherals/best-printer-16-top-inkjet-and-laser-printers-934172

Original post by SmashConcept

This is why I'm having such a hard time finding a good printer ;(
Hi all,

Thank you very much,

Ash

Buy a printer that will not break the bank in terms of buying cartridges, I chose a printer that was very compatible with cartridges from different models hence I get a full set of cartridges for Β£4
Reply 5
Original post by Miser101
Buy a printer that will not break the bank in terms of buying cartridges, I chose a printer that was very compatible with cartridges from different models hence I get a full set of cartridges for Β£4

Hey that sounds pretty good I'll go looking for one of those
Hey that sounds pretty good I'll go looking for one of those

If you need any help just ask :smile:
This is why I'm having such a hard time finding a good printer ;(

If your budget is Β£200 and you don't have to print photo quality then get whichever colour laser printer has the best reviews under Β£200. They are available.
If your budget is Β£200 and you don't have to print photo quality then get whichever colour laser printer has the best reviews under Β£200. They are available.

But the problem with colour laser printers is that to buy a new set of toners usually costs more than the original cost of the printer! I don't think the OP is in the market for such an outlay.

OP - I'd recommend if you don't need to print in colour regularly that you buy a mono laser printer. Research the replacement toner cartridge price on Amazon before you buy, because that's the main running cost you need to consider. They usually come with a 'starter' cartridge, and then the main cartridges usually come in 5,000 or 10,000 high-capacity sheet versions - enough to last quite some time. You will get the cheapest printing cost per sheet using a mono laser, and for the few times you need to print colour you can always use your university printers. Brother, Lexmark and HP are good brands to look for but, as I say, check the cost of a replacement cartridge before you buy.
Can't you put mono toners in a colour printer if you don't print in colour often?
Can't you put mono toners in a colour printer if you don't print in colour often?

You can't put mono toners where the colour toners should be: the printer will just reject them because the chips don't match up. And in my experience you can't just leave the colour toners out because it just says 'toner empty' and refuses to print until they're replaced! You might be able to use the starter toner and when it was empty leave it in place and see if the printer defaults to black and white only printing I suppose, but I wouldn't guarantee it'd work.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi all,

Thank you very much,

Ash

Do you need a scanner OP? Are you printing more like 5 or 25 pages at a time? What will your average monthly print be do you think?

I sell printers for a living and these are the kinds of things i'd want to know to find you the best solution provided you don't want to be oversold.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kiritsugu

Inkjet printers are not inherently faster than laser and indeed below about Β£80 you'll find that most of them are pretty slow. Mono lasers at that price will run their inkjets round the park a few times.

The Brother and Canon models seem to be pretty reliable and relatively good however i agree that most inkjets (under Β£100 especially) are pretty rubbish.

Original post by Miser101

The problem with purchasing the cheap ink is that those printers are pretty much horribly inefficient.

Original post by Reality Check
But the problem with colour laser printers is that to buy a new set of toners usually costs more than the original cost of the printer! I don't think the OP is in the market for such an outlay.

OP - I'd recommend if you don't need to print in colour regularly that you buy a mono laser printer. Research the replacement toner cartridge price on Amazon before you buy, because that's the main running cost you need to consider. They usually come with a 'starter' cartridge, and then the main cartridges usually come in 5,000 or 10,000 high-capacity sheet versions - enough to last quite some time. You will get the cheapest printing cost per sheet using a mono laser, and for the few times you need to print colour you can always use your university printers. Brother, Lexmark and HP are good brands to look for but, as I say, check the cost of a replacement cartridge before you buy.

When it comes to laser it's still not that bad a thing that it costs more than the printer because if you pick the right model then even shop bought printers will give you 2-3000 pages from each cartridge. The 201x for example is in most of the newer stuff that i sell (not that i'd pay shop bought prices for it even if i did ever purchase the printer).

You do also get that a lot with the cheap inkjets but that's because the printers are horrible
Reply 13
Canon PIXMA MG5620
Eyre and Spottiswoode.
Reply 15
Original post by safdhni3
Canon PIXMA MG5620

I've been thinking about this one, it looks quite good. :u:
Hi i offer students a free printer. Its a Canon MG5650 all you have to do is buy two sets of cartridges which ios Β£40 i give a full warranty on machine for as long as you have it if you come direct to me for the ink cartridges. Many Thanks
Reply 17
Canon imageClass LBP151dw
Reply 18
I remember that I had an Epson at uni. It was good but the ink did finish rather quickly
Original post by Seb345
I remember that I had an Epson at uni. It was good but the ink did finish rather quickly

Why bump a 3 year old thread?

Please check the dates before posting in future...

Latest