The Student Room Group

What would cambridge judge an applicant by; when there are no AS UMS?

I have recently done my GCSEs and got:
My GCSEs are:
Further Maths - A
English Language - A*
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
French - B
Urdu - A
Physics - A*
ICT (DIDA) - A* (distinction)
Business Studies - A*
English Literature - A*
Geography - A*
History - A*
Religious Studies - A*

However, I am interested in applying for medicine at cambridge. Although, I do not know how would Cambridge judge an applicant, due to the linear a levels. I am doing an EPQ, Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics.

Does it mean that I must score above 95% in my Maths AS, despite the reforms?

I know the BMAT counts, but surely Cambridge cannot solely judge applicant on that, since there are no AS levels and they don't look at GCSEs.

I am in year 12, so am likely to focus in my EPQ, Maths AS and extra curricular this year.

SO my question is: what should I do to maximise my chances?
Original post by BULL14
My GCSEs are:
Further Maths - A
English Language - A*
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
French - B
Urdu - A
Physics - A*
Business Studies - A*
English Literature - A*
Geography - A*
History - A*
Religious Studies - A*

However, I am interested in applying for medicine at cambridge. Although, I do not know how would Cambridge judge an applicant, due to the linear a levels. I am doing an EPQ, Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Economics.

I know the BMAT counts, but surely Cambridge cannot solely judge applicant on that, since there are no AS levels and they don't look at GCSEs.

I am in year 12, so am likely to focus in my EPQ, Maths AS and extra curricular this year.

Hi first of all well done on your GCSE's😀.For Cambridge they will be judging applicants based on BMAT more heavily now due to the lack of UMS at AS level but will be using Maths UMS.They do consider GCSE's as it shows academic consistency just not as heavily as Oxford.The Cambridge process is rather holistic in this sense but BMAT will be used more than it has in previous application cycles.I suggest just gaining relevant work experience,volunteering but then showing your enthusiam for Medicine.For example,further reading and summer schools.
Reply 2
Original post by mapleseeds
Hi first of all well done on your GCSE's😀.For Cambridge they will be judging applicants based on BMAT more heavily now due to the lack of UMS at AS level but will be using Maths UMS.They do consider GCSE's as it shows academic consistency just not as heavily as Oxford.The Cambridge process is rather holistic in this sense but BMAT will be used more than it has in previous application cycles.I suggest just gaining relevant work experience,volunteering but then showing your enthusiam for Medicine.For example,further reading and summer schools.

Thank you,

Would you know whether the BMAT is difficult?

And with regards to GCSEs will they be adequate?
Original post by BULL14
My GCSEs are:
Further Maths - A
English Language - A*
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*
French - B
Urdu - A
Physics - A*
Business Studies - A*
English Literature - A*
Geography - A*
History - A*
Religious Studies - A*

I'm pretty sure Cambridge do look at GCSEs...

Anyway, preparing well for the BMAT and Interview are presumably the things you can do now to help your chances.
Reply 4
SO would the B, in French, harm my application?

And does having an A* in the EPQ help?
Reply 5
^^^
Why do people think Cambridge don't look at GCSEs? Some people say that Oxford place slightly more value on higher GCSE grades than Cambridge do. That's all.

Original post by BULL14
SO would the B, in French, harm my application?

And does having an A* in the EPQ help?

The B probably won't do any harm. If the EPQ is relevant to the subject it'll probably help a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest