The Student Room Group

Retaking A Levels at 25-30

What would my options be in relation to retaking my A Levels and would it be worth it? I got C-C-D in Business History and Accounting. What are the prices?
Where is best to study. I already have a degree in Accounting and Finance but a lot of jobs look for high UCAS points as well as the degree. I might do the a levels and do another degree or just leave it as it is. I'm not sure.

I tried hard at my A Levels but i feel i could have gotten better results or chosen easier subjects. Also i could have chosen subjects i enjoyed and would therefore do better in.
Original post by tony333
What would my options be in relation to retaking my A Levels and would it be worth it? I got C-C-D in Business History and Accounting. What are the prices?
Where is best to study. I already have a degree in Accounting and Finance but a lot of jobs look for high UCAS points as well as the degree. I might do the a levels and do another degree or just leave it as it is. I'm not sure.

I tried hard at my A Levels but i feel i could have gotten better results or chosen easier subjects. Also i could have chosen subjects i enjoyed and would therefore do better in.

Have you tried looking at local further education colleges around where you live? Other than that, you would have to self-study the A Levels and find an exam centre to sit the exams.

I'm sure you're aware that if you want to do a second degree (unless it's NHS funded) there is no student finance - you will have to pay for this out of your own pocket.
Gotten is not a word.

You could retake them at your local FE college but on a full-time basis they will cost several thousand each. Because you're over 24 you could access Advanced Learner Loans to help pay for the courses, but these are loans, and of course will need repaying. Furthermore, as you have already had funding for a degree, any subsequent degree (with a few exceptions) will be entirely self-funded. Basically, what you're suggesting is an enormous financial commitment.
Original post by Reality Check
Gotten is not a word.

It is a word up here in Newcastle. :tongue:
Original post by rayquaza17
It is a word up here in Newcastle. :tongue:

:smile: You learn something every day
Original post by tony333

Get in contact with local examination centres close to you. Registration for exams will have their own price but if the centre offers lessons for the choices then it will cost more.
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
Gotten is not a word.

Although it was English a long time ago - the only usage that really remained was ill-gotten gains - but I think we have re-acquired it from America recently. It's used on TSR all the time and never fails to irritate me but I'm afraid it's a lost battle already. :frown:
Reply 7
There's no funding so you will have to pay for any course you join/resources you pay for and the cost of exam entrance fees. You have to find an exam centre (any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate and go from there. The exam fees vary - the fee to the exam board is around £80 an A level but the centre will add on a considerable chunk for their admin, expertise, invigilation etc. so you're probably looking at around £200 per A level (shop around as the cost varies enormously). It is much easier to study subjects privately if they have no coursework - what were you thinking you might do?
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
There's no funding so you will have to pay for any course you join/resources you pay for and the cost of exam entrance fees. You have to find an exam centre (any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate and go from there. The exam fees vary - the fee to the exam board is around £80 an A level but the centre will add on a considerable chunk for their admin, expertise, invigilation etc. so you're probably looking at around £200 per A level (shop around as the cost varies enormously). It is much easier to study subjects privately if they have no coursework - what were you thinking you might do?

I was thinking of doing business related subjects such as Accounting or something totally different like sociology.

Quick Reply

Latest