The Student Room Group

Wrong signals.

My friends kept telling me that I send people the 'wrong signals', and I never really knew what they meant or why it mattered, but I now kind of see it.

I can never really tell when I'm flirting or not. I'm a pretty chatty and friendly person in general, and I guess people misinterpret me as being flirtatious. And then, when they realize I've been leading them on (accidentally), the potential friendship becomes awkward.

How do I stop myself from sending these 'wrong signals', because this happens to me way too much. :sigh:

Scroll to see replies

I wink at people but I swear it's by accident :lol: Apparently that's a wrong signal too :biggrin:
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
I wink at people but I swear it's by accident :lol: Apparently that's a wrong signal too :biggrin:

The image I have in my head is too funny. :rofl:
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
The image I have in my head is too funny. :rofl:

Oh God :lol: Please help me Lord :colone:
Oh God :lol: Please help me Lord :colone:

Lord Cheesus can help you :hugs:

My friends kept telling me that I send people the 'wrong signals', and I never really knew what they meant or why it mattered, but I now kind of see it.

I can never really tell when I'm flirting or not. I'm a pretty chatty and friendly person in general, and I guess people misinterpret me as being flirtatious. And then, when they realize I've been leading them on (accidentally), the potential friendship becomes awkward.

How do I stop myself from sending these 'wrong signals', because this happens to me way too much. :sigh:

Hmm - a tricky one.
Understand how you flirt so that when you do, you direct it at the right people, at the right times?
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Lord Cheesus can help you :hugs:

Hmm - a tricky one.
Understand how you flirt so that when you do, you direct it at the right people, at the right times?

yessss!!!! im so gladdd, basically what i do, i randomly wink at people when i walk past or something and it's just messed up, but it just happens like my motor neurons are sending random signals to my brain, it's not fair :redface:
yessss!!!! im so gladdd, basically what i do, i randomly wink at people when i walk past or something and it's just messed up, but it just happens like my motor neurons are sending random signals to my brain, it's not fair :redface:

:wink:
Ah ok. *writes notes down on paper*Hmmm.
I know just the thing. Drink coconut milk using a spoon and sneeze upside down for 2 days.
Then you should be all good. Any problems come back to me and we'll have another chat :h: :hugs:
:wink:
Ah ok. *writes notes down on paper*Hmmm.
I know just the thing. Drink coconut milk using a spoon and sneeze upside down for 2 days.
Then you should be all good. Any problems come back to me and we'll have another chat :h: :hugs:

lmaooo, consequently my dad just bought coconut water today :biggrin: but how do I sneeze upside down? Like do a headstand and sneeze? lol x
Haha may God bless you lord cheesus :h:
lmaooo, consequently my dad just bought coconut water today :biggrin: but how do I sneeze upside down? Like do a headstand and sneeze? lol x
Haha may God bless you lord cheesus :h:

:rofl:
I'd recommend doing it on the sofa, against a wall, surrounded by cushions just in case you fall!
Safety comes first with Lord Cheesus :yy:
And Lord Cheesus grants you a blessing also :h:
:rofl:
I'd recommend doing it on the sofa, against a wall, surrounded by cushions just in case you fall!
Safety comes first with Lord Cheesus :yy:
And Lord Cheesus grants you a blessing also :h:

Oh dayuummmm your a tough cookie :lol: Safety is always first :wink:
Haha, I'm blessed, thank you :smile:

I swear that sometimes, I have absolutely no idea what classifies as flirting and what doesn't. :rofl:
Oh dayuummmm your a tough cookie :lol: Safety is always first :wink:
Haha, I'm blessed, thank you :smile:

np :hugs:

prsom :rofl:
Reply 13

Well then that's their fault isn't it? You're not exactly doing it on purpose so I don't think you should feel hard on yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rhaenys10
prsom :rofl:

lmao ennit sometimes my friends just start laughing cuz ive randomly winked at them :lol:
Reply 15

Imagine you are talking to your Grandad..
Original post by UWS
Well then that's their fault isn't it? You're not exactly doing it on purpose so I don't think you should feel hard on yourself.

That's true but I hate that feeling afterwards when I've realised that I've left a person feeling confused or hurt. :redface:
Original post by ANM775
Imagine you are talking to your Grandad..

Both my granddads died before I met them. Who next?
Reply 17

Both my granddads died before I met them. Who next?

You can Imagine you're talking to your brother then.

In my honest opinion there's not much you can do a lot of the time: Whenever a guy is approached by a girl he finds reasonably attractive and engages in a convo the guy immediately thinks: "Wow I'm hitting it off great with this chick, perhaps she will be my future GF". For instance I was speaking to a girl in my class for the first time and hours later she follows me on instagram and I couldn't help but think it lol. Obviously this is really immature to think like this but I'm 16. I really don't blame myself tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some lads in my friend group will class any time a girl seems to be marginally close with somebody in any way as flirting, I think if you're a girl with solid banter you're basically bound to fall into this trap.

I take the harsh view that if you're just being friendly and they wrongly assume that its flirting then it's their own fault and you shouldn't have to tiptoe around people just to avoid letting them make fools of themselves. There's not much I can think of that you can realistically do that isn't just holding back your actual personality, which sounds a bit tiring.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest