The Student Room Group

Is my tutor being weird or is this normal?

I've found a tutor online. I've had one session with him and he seems very nice and he's helped me a lot with the work.

However, there's two things that I find weird...

1) The tutoring is taking place over Skype so I assumed we'd video call throughout the session. However, my tutor said this wasn't necessary. So throughout the whole session we talked about the work ect, but I never saw his face and he never saw mine... Is this weird?

2) At the end of the session I asked about payment... He said he wasn't concerned about payment at this stage and that it was important to him that I understood the work. I asked him a couple of times about the payment side and he said we can deal with it later. I don't get it, most people ask for money upfront or at the end...? Whereas my tutor is saying I can pay him in a couple of months...?

My tutor definitely knows his stuff and he seems very nice. He never asked me anything personal, everything was always about the work.

I don't know if I'm worrying about nothing or if I should be worried...? He does seem very very nice...?

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Reply 1
Did you find the tutor from a trusted source? He seems to be nice, not pressuring you about the money. I've never had a tutor online like that before, it's normal to be worried when you've never seen him. Sounds like he's just interested in teaching here.
Reminds me of my physics teacher: honestly the nicest guy I've ever met in my life. If he caught me taking a pic of the upcoming test because he leaves it on his desk and walks out sometimes he would probably come back and witness me doing it and be like "don't let me get in the way of your shot".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by UWS
Did you find the tutor from a trusted source? He seems to be nice, not pressuring you about the money. I've never had a tutor online like that before, it's normal to be worried when you've never seen him. Sounds like he's just interested in teaching here.

Yeah, it was a trusted website. Oh okay, so you're tutor never pressured you for money either?

Did you ever see your tutor? I don't know if I'm over thinking it or not...?
Reply 4
Original post by RossB1702
Reminds me of my physics teacher: honestly the nicest guy I've ever met in my life. If he caught me taking a pic of the upcoming test because he leaves it on his desk and walks out sometimes he would probably come back and witness me doing it and be like "don't let me get in the way of your shot".

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, you think my tutor is normal then and he's just being nice?
Original post by Anonymous
So, you think my tutor is normal then and he's just being nice?

I do yes. If he knows his stuff and is genuinely helping you then it's a win win for you.
which website was this tutor from? Just make sure that you know how much you're being charged - don't want to suddenly get hit with a huge bill in a few months time!
Reply 7
Original post by RossB1702
I do yes. If he knows his stuff and is genuinely helping you then it's a win win for you.

Yeah, it definitely is helping me... But don't you find it weird that I'm talking to someone and I don't even know what they look like?
Reply 8
which website was this tutor from? Just make sure that you know how much you're being charged - don't want to suddenly get hit with a huge bill in a few months time!

It's a common website that I got from Google, don't want to say the exact one in case the post gets deleted. And I do know how much I'm being charged and my tutor has agreed to it...

I'm not sure if I'm over thinking it or not...?
Yeah, it definitely is helping me... But don't you find it weird that I'm talking to someone and I don't even know what they look like?

No: we're communicating the now and we can't see what each other look like. But I see where you coming from. Just think it as if you're talking to someone in a phone call.

Quick Reply

Latest