Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can someone help me understand my finance form?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry guys, i know you must hear this all the time, but i really don't understand my finance form.. I just opened it up and i just can't understand it. maybe i'm expecting it to be more complicated than it really is? Basically, i just need to be able to work out my weekly budget etc from it, but i don't know what to include.

If i post all the different amounts for you would someone be able to help?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, here's all my maintenance loan bits and bobs..

Basic loan [non-income assessed] = £3385
    Plus loan subject to income assessment = £1204
    Less loan substituted for grant* = £761

Loan to be paid = £3828

Assembly Learning Grant = £761

I'm so confused
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Post the amounts, and expected expenses - if you have confirmed rents or anything, i'll try and help.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Kirsty should i try and find out how much my accomodation is a year? That would help i suppose..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jozeesh)
    Ok, here's all my maintenance loan bits and bobs..

Basic loan [non-income assessed] = £3385
    Plus loan subject to income assessment = £1204
    Less loan substituted for grant* = £761

Loan to be paid = £3828

Assembly Learning Grant = £761

I'm so confused
    Your getting £3828 as a loan - that will be from the student loan compnay. They usually pay this in 3 payments - and you won't find out the actually amounts you get paid at a time until about 3 weeks before term starts.

And the grant is free money... i assume that is split into a payment per term...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You can't work out too much till you get actual payment schedules e.g. What gets paid, and on which dates for example.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, the total fee is £2,150, in 3 instalments of £716.66. Do you need me to find anything else?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok. So, do you think the maintenance loan and grant are a reasonable amount or will i struggle? I just don't know whether it's good or bad..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    you've got plenty left over - should be fine. Will you be getting extra sources of income from parents or anything like that?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Putting it simply - With the loan and bursary, minus the accommodation you have £2439 left. This is about £271 a month based on 9 months - average term time. this is plenty - i live on about £60-100 a month - so you will be fine. Obviously if you have expenses such as phone bills, electric, internet, gas.. you'll be spending more than i do. I have relatively cheap food tastes too!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah that sounds great, i wasn't expecting to have as much as that :p: Thanks a lot, rep for you [even though it's not worth much.. ]
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    don't go crazy though - like i say you'll have lots of small expenses which add up to give a huge big debt if your not careful.

I keep track of my finances in Excel - i put in what i have, and write down what i'm expecting to spend each month - that way i always know what i have left to spend.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No i'll be fine, i'm usually really good with my money. Hopefully i can budget really well so i don't have to work loads of hours a week too. :p:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't work - and i manage. It is just about being knowledgeable - knowing what you have to spend, trying not to use an overdraft or credit card unless its absolutely necessary.. quite simple really.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i hope i'll be ok. Thanks for the help

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 17, 2007
New on TSR

Results: how's it going?

Which A-level are you most confident about getting back?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.