The Student Room Group

Which out of these unis are best for getting a tc at top law firms?

I've applied to Bristol, UCL, St Andrews, Birmingham and Oxford.

Ok so I'm going to say obviously Oxford would be top, but I've got no chance getting in lol.

This is with a History degree rather than Law.
Reply 1
UCL, Bristol and St Andrews are all good, maybe Brimingham is less so.
Reply 2
They are all good unis - I would probably say Birmingham is the weakest of the bunch, but to be honest if you get good grades and decent extracurriculars at any of these unis you are on track for a TC.

As long as you go to a decent uni, if you are switched on and focused and seek out opportunities you will do fine.
Original post by Ambry
They are all good unis - I would probably say Birmingham is the weakest of the bunch, but to be honest if you get good grades and decent extracurriculars at any of these unis you are on track for a TC.

As long as you go to a decent uni, if you are switched on and focused and seek out opportunities you will do fine.

I know this is OT, I was wondering what Uni's do you consider "decent" for getting a TC at commercial city firms? By "decent" do you mean, they must be a RG uni? What is your take on non-RG unis and TC's at commercial city law firms?
Reply 4
Original post by Anthony I
I know this is OT, I was wondering what Uni's do you consider "decent" for getting a TC at commercial city firms? By "decent" do you mean, they must be a RG uni? What is your take on non-RG unis and TC's at commercial city law firms?

Okay I'll try to answer... I am a law student (thought I am studying Scots law) at Edinburgh University, and our uni sends a decent amount of people to London for TCs from a range of subjects.

My honest view is - which university you go to does matter, but not quite as much as everyone thinks it does when applying to uni. I think if you go to a Russel Group or similar uni, your chances might be higher - but I think if you go to a Russel Group and have no relevant experience or don't show anything to set you apart, people from a lower ranked or non RG uni who have done a bit more will probably beat you to that TC or vac scheme.

Before I went to uni, I was really worried about rankings and going to the best uni possible. Now I realise as long as your uni is pretty good (St Andrews/Edinburgh/Glasgow/Durham/Warwick/UCL/Birmingham/Newcastle etc) you are in a good starting position. However, I recommend you really try on extracurriculars and grades no matter where you go. I know people who went to Strathclyde, a non RG (but still very good) uni who have secured top TCs and one who went on to do the BCL at Oxford. I know someone from Edinburgh Napier whp got a TC with CMS. I honestly think the selection of unis mentioned in this thread is a good one, and if you went to any of them you would stand a good chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending