The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
I think so - with resits i can't see why not.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply Kirsty.

I forgot to add that I went to a terrible secondary school which only had about 15-20% of people getting 4 C grades or better at GCSE - would this cut any ice with the admissions team or would I be dismissed as a whinger?!
Reply 3
don't mention it.
Reply 4
Yeah, those grades are definitely good enough. If you're that worried about it, decline all your AS grades, and they'll appear as 'Pending' on your application form (as mine did).. :p:
Reply 5
Can you get one of your teachers to mention the awful school record on your references? That seems the best way to bring it in - if you write it in your PS or something it probably won't go down well.
Reply 6
I don't think it goes down well wherever its put in the UCAS application! They ahve the name and address of your school, they will know its not a good area without you rubbing it in.
Reply 7
They can't know everything about every school in the country, and if his teachers write about it, it won't necessarily look like he asked them to. I have no idea what my teachers said about me. They could say something like, "x is doing fantastically well, far above the school's average," or something like that, so it's not being shoved down the admissions team's throats.
Reply 8
The LNAT plays a very important part in the selection process. So, make sure you do very well (e.g. 20+).
Reply 9
Go for it. One of my friends who does law managed to spell something wrong in his personal statment's first sentence so they're obviously not that strict.
Reply 10
But the personal statement is a very important part of the admissions process - with people getting very similar grades, there's only the PS to distinguish personalities.
LNAT seems to be the most crucial factor.
Reply 12
does everyone do LNAT?
Reply 13
To read Law at Durham? Yes. There are only a few Universities who state that the LNAT is compulsory for consideration, and Oxbridge and Durham are some of the members who set the highest cut-off grade (20+). It's actually funny because I was rejected from Oxford simply because of my LNAT. They said in their feedback that my LNAT score was not high enough. For **** sakes, I got 23/30. That's 7 points higher than the national average. ARGH!
Reply 14
If a uni is like that its not worth going to!

Latest