The Student Room Group

I don't want to apply to university this year...

Apologies for the long post, but please read it and give me some advice :smile:.

When I was younger, I had dreams of going to a 'top' university and this seemed very realistic until AS results day. I did really well in two subjects but really badly in the other subject (physics) ( I only did 3 AS' ). There's no way that I'll get predicted a good grade in that subject (I'm predicted a C) so as a result, so there's no chance that a 'top' university will even give me a conditional offer if I apply. I should probably clarify what I mean by 'top' universities - they are essentially the universities that I would really like to attend. They are Cambridge, Bristol, Bath, Warwick and I'm not sure on the 5th choice.

Imagine if at the end of year 13, I achieved A*A*A (my personal target)... my UCAS application would be so strong next year - stronger than it is now. I would also have a year to have a break from the education system. I'd spend this year working to earn money. However, I will no longer be at sixth form when I apply, so the application process will be quite stressful. Also, my parents are adamant that I am to attend university next September. I suggested having a gap year to my dad a few weeks ago and he just snapped "What would you do that for?" in a really patronising tone. My mum wants me to go university asap so that I can "gain independence" and get a better social life [she thinks that university is all about partying and getting drunk. No joke, but I am not that kind of person!] I personally don't see what harm going to university one year later than usual would do, especially if it is so that I can go somewhere that has an excellent reputation! My parents don't care at all about reputation though...

If I apply to university this year, I will be applying to polytechnics because they have lower entry requirements. Don't get me wrong, I loved all of these universities at their open days but they're also not exactly the most academic places. I want to go somewhere that has a good global reputation, somewhere that I have to work my a$$ off to get into.
Obviously, I'll have to wait and see how I do on results day, but there's something inside me saying that I have the potential to go to a 'top' university. . I was even in my sixth form's potential Oxbridge applicants group in year 12! It is literally just one bad predicted grade that's stopping me. If I do really well in physics this year, it will no longer be an issue if I apply next year instead.

If YOU were in this situation, what would you do? Would you apply to universities that you don't really want to attend this year, or would you sit your A2 exams, prove yourself and then apply to university?
Also, would you still do the latter if you knew that your parents would be salty about it?

[Please don't suggest that I ask my physics teachers to raise my predicted grade; by the time I'll have had sufficient time to prove my capabilities to them, the UCAS deadline will have passed. I also didn't revise for it much in year 12 so my assessment grades were not good, but I have been going over the AS content since results day to get me up to scratch. Plus, it's too late to apply to Cambridge now anyway.]
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Apologies for the long post, but please read it and give me some advice :smile:.

When I was younger, I had dreams of going to a 'top' university and this seemed very realistic until AS results day. I did really well in two subjects but really badly in the other subject (physics) ( I only did 3 AS' ). There's no way that I'll get predicted a good grade in that subject (I'm predicted a C) so as a result, so there's no chance that a 'top' university will even give me a conditional offer if I apply. I should probably clarify what I mean by 'top' universities - they are essentially the universities that I would really like to attend. They are Cambridge, Bristol, Bath, Warwick and I'm not sure on the 5th choice.

Imagine if at the end of year 13, I achieved A*A*A (my personal target)... my UCAS application would be so strong next year - stronger than it is now. I would also have a year to have a break from the education system. I'd spend this year working to earn money. However, I will no longer be at sixth form when I apply, so the application process will be quite stressful. Also, my parents are adamant that I am to attend university next September. I suggested having a gap year to my dad a few weeks ago and he just snapped "What would you do that for?" in a really patronising tone. My mum wants me to go university asap so that I can "gain independence" and get a better social life [she thinks that university is all about partying and getting drunk. No joke, but I am not that kind of person!] I personally don't see what harm going to university one year later than usual would do, especially if it is so that I can go somewhere that has an excellent reputation! My parents don't care at all about reputation though...

If I apply to university this year, I will be applying to polytechnics because they have lower entry requirements. Don't get me wrong, I loved all of these universities at their open days but they're also not exactly the most academic places. I want to go somewhere that has a good global reputation, somewhere that I have to work my a$$ off to get into.
Obviously, I'll have to wait and see how I do on results day, but there's something inside me saying that I have the potential to go to a 'top' university. . I was even in my sixth form's potential Oxbridge applicants group in year 12! It is literally just one bad predicted grade that's stopping me. If I do really well in physics this year, it will no longer be an issue if I apply next year instead.

If YOU were in this situation, what would you do? Would you apply to universities that you don't really want to attend this year, or would you sit your A2 exams, prove yourself and then apply to university?
Also, would you still do the latter if you knew that your parents would be salty about it?

[Please don't suggest that I ask my physics teachers to raise my predicted grade; by the time I'll have had sufficient time to prove my capabilities to them, the UCAS deadline will have passed. I also didn't revise for it much in year 12 so my assessment grades were not good, but I have been going over the AS content since results day to get me up to scratch. Plus, it's too late to apply to Cambridge now anyway.]

Idk if i'd be much of a help as im only starting my GCSE course,
but in my opinion i think you should continue with your A2 and prove to those universities that you deserve that position.
And of course if those A2s dont go as well, youll always have the other universities to rely upon.

Good Luck :smile:
Adjustment?
Original post by Dominator1
Adjustment?

I don't think you're guaranteed accommodation if you apply through adjustment though.
Maybe apply to unis that will accept your predicted grades - work hard for your A levels and then if you do exceed your offers and have no success via adjustment then decline your place for 2017 and re-apply to your preferred choices the next year. That way if exams don't work out as you hoped you will still have the option of getting in to uni in 2017.
Reply 5
You have to do what you feel is right for YOU - It doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. If you haven't got a good vibe from any of the universities you've visited then the chances are you won't enjoy it. If you want to take a year out, then do that.

However, on the other hand, what do you stand to lose if you give any of those universities a chance? At least you'll appease your parents by giving it a try, and who knows - maybe you will enjoy it.

Bottom line is do what you feel is right for you. One of the beautiful things about education is that you can re-enter it at any point.
My AS results are a bit weird as well. I'm not applying all top like you are, but I maaayy be able to understand a lil bit. What are your predicted grades in your other two subjects? If they're good I'd suggest applying to all the good ones you actually want to go to. If you don't get any offers then just leave it at that, take a year out and reapply next year, if you get offers, woah jesus take the wheel.

That way theoretically you should be able to get around the parents whining ("mum dad I tried but they didn't send me offers soz lol") but you've also got a very slim chance of a noice uni throwing you a lifeline anyway.

Is the subject you plan on applying for actually related to physics?
If you aren't sure if University is the right thing for you now, then don't apply this year.

Nowhere is it written that you can only go to University straight from school - many sensible people go later and enjoy the experience just as much, if not more, than if they'd gone at 18.

Get a job, earn some money. Do an apprenticeship in something that interests you. Do some travel and see a bit of the world. University wil still be there - whenever you decide you want to do it.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
My AS results are a bit weird as well. I'm not applying all top like you are, but I maaayy be able to understand a lil bit. What are your predicted grades in your other two subjects? If they're good I'd suggest applying to all the good ones you actually want to go to. If you don't get any offers then just leave it at that, take a year out and reapply next year, if you get offers, woah jesus take the wheel.

That way theoretically you should be able to get around the parents whining ("mum dad I tried but they didn't send me offers soz lol" but you've also got a very slim chance of a noice uni throwing you a lifeline anyway.

Is the subject you plan on applying for actually related to physics?

I'm predicted As in my other two subjects so my predictions are AAC. And I'll be applying for psychology which is completely unrelated to physics haha. I think I'll just apply this year anyway and then if I end up doing exceptionally well in my exams, I'll reapply next year so I can give Cambridge a shot. And then if I don't do so well, I'll hopefully have some existing offers to fall back on. I'm not sure how aspirational I should be this year though... I mean even ABB is aspirational at the moment and since psychology is oversubscribed and competitive, most places want ABB or above.
Original post by jessyjellytot14
I'm predicted As in my other two subjects so my predictions are AAC. And I'll be applying for psychology which is completely unrelated to physics haha. I think I'll just apply this year anyway and then if I end up doing exceptionally well in my exams, I'll reapply next year so I can give Cambridge a shot. And then if I don't do so well, I'll hopefully have some existing offers to fall back on. I'm not sure how aspirational I should be this year though... I mean even ABB is aspirational at the moment and since psychology is oversubscribed and competitive, most places want ABB or above.

Seems a legit plan. I've looked up adjustment just now and it doesn't seem to mention anything definite about accommodation, if your grades turn out to be super hot fiyah what you can do is ring any uni you're thinking of trading up for and seeing if they're actually got any accommodation left. If they've got some and you're able to adjust up to them, you can save yourself the hassle of waiting a year potentially.

Just so ya know like...
I think you have answered it yourself when you say you want to do a gap year. Do not rush into a decision because you will just end up regretting it later. You said that you have wanted to go to a 'top' university since you were young, I want to point out that sometimes going to a top university is not what it is all about. Your work ethic, degree classification and personality is what will get you the career - believe me! Nevertheless, do not settle for a university you do not really like. YOu need to make sure that you like the area, you feel it is a suitable learning environement, you are happy with the accommodation and so on. I know people who have been to top universities and hated it, often because it is 'old-fashioned' or the people are 'snobby'. So visit the universities, do thorough research and look at what other people are saying.
Also, whether you start university in September or not, your interests and ambitions can change. What you want to study now could change in months to come. Whilst your parents and possibly teachers don't recommend a gap year, I am sure they will become more frustrated if you go to university and then you realise you don't like it. Can i just add that when applying to university your parents advice may not be all that, mainly because they have not experienced university as it is today. Nevertheless, never be ungrateful for your parents' support because if things go wrong you will need them to turn to. When you are on a gap year, it is not all about volunteering and travelling, it is about realising what it is you want to do. In that year you are no longer priorotising your revision and can spend your time trying and researching new things. Like you say you can also earn money which is a major necessity at university, even if you do not move away. And yes, that is another thing- do you want it so much that it is worth the 9 grand a year?
Trust me though, your grades seem everything right now, but they most definitely will not be in years to come. I know more people who studied BTECS or who got lower grades who have gone on to progress into much more successful careers than those who got A's and B's at A level - I am being 100% honest when i say this.
Apply to university, and if you don't get the grades you have a decision to make: gap year or clearing. But be prepared to make this decision.
Work your hardest and hope for the best, but if you have setbacks like that C in physics (which tbh is very good) just keep going. There are loads of universities across the country who are sure to want you come september. Don't forget there is also UCAS extra and adjustment besides clearing.
The problem is, you are spoilt for choice :wink:
Best of luck. Just keep believing and you will look back in years to come and wonder why on earth you let all this worry you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending