The Student Room Group

A-level Student wanting to study medicine tips and advice

Hey I'm currently in year 12 doing A levels and I'm super interested in studying medicine but I know it's very competitive so I fear that I won't get the grades. Studying biology , chemistry, physics and maths now...I know I know..you all are thinking I'm crazy but let's just say everything's so hard!! The main question is what can I do during these two years to get to know more about medicine and becoming a doctor other than work experience
If you know if any good websites , books, videos, talks, people, projects or anything I can do to "love" medicine a bit more and confirm whether im as passionate as I think I am. If there are other courses similar to medicine I should consider please tell me that too. What can I do as an alevel student to get good grades and boost my chances of a getting into medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well when I was in A levels, I went to a mini medical school to get a feel for it, you could try doing that. I'm sure if you google things about medicine various sites will come up and just look at stuff which most interests you.
Original post by AngelinAugustine
Hey I'm currently in year 12 doing A levels and I'm super interested in studying medicine but I know it's very competitive so I fear that I won't get the grades. Studying biology , chemistry, physics and maths now...I know I know..you all are thinking I'm crazy but let's just say everything's so hard!! The main question is what can I do during these two years to get to know more about medicine and becoming a doctor other than work experience
If you know if any good websites , books, videos, talks, people, projects or anything I can do to "love" medicine a bit more and confirm whether im as passionate as I think I am. If there are other courses similar to medicine I should consider please tell me that too. What can I do as an alevel student to get good grades and boost my chances of a getting into medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I decided to do medicine around the same time as you and coincidentally i also took the same subjects, so hopefully i can help.

You mentioned work experience but in case you haven't arranged it already I would try and secure work experience at a hospital first because they usually have schemes available for summer, but these are always very popular so you need to apply early. Then ring up some GP surgery's and ask if you can come in for a few days and shadow one of the GP's or other healthcare professionals there. Many of them will say no, in fact i had to ring up around 20 before one said yes so be prepared for many rejections. Also the surgeries close to you will almost definitely say no due to confidentiality reasons so you may have to look further afield. Finally it's important to do long term volunteering in a care setting ( care home, hospice ect) so get that sorted out

I wouldn't worry too much about doing anything else, getting an interview will likely depend on your UKCAT/BMAT alongside your academics. Read the student BMJ and BBC health/NHS to stay up to date with current news.

For A-levels just try and stay on top of your work/homework and make sure you understand everything, if you dont then work on it until you do. If you begin revising around Jan/Feb and are doing past papers by March at least then you will do well I would focus on your A-levels mainly as without AAA predictions you won't even stand a chance.

Best of Luck:smile:
@hopelessmedic
That's great to know...it's so much more helpful when there is someone to guide you..since I don't have any medical professionals in my family but thank you so much for the ideas especially introducing me to student BMJ I found that very useful. So how did your A levels go? Did you get into med school? I've done 3 days of work experience and will do some more later on as well as some volunteering etc
Since I've taken all the hardest subjects I'm just so worried 😩 what websites or tutorials do u use to revise ? Please do let me know how you do and if u have any other suggestions I should do but otherwise thank youuuu for taking the time to reply ❤️️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending