The Student Room Group

I HATE sixth form. What are my options?

So, I got pretty good GCSE grades (9 As, 1 B) and I got into one of the top schools in an upper class area. I enjoy the subjects that I'm doing and A - levels themselves aren't that bad.

However the sixth form that I've gone to is driving me crazy. It's run like a business to try and churn out the best possible grades from students - and it's all they care about. When I went for my interview, there wasn't one! They just looked at my grades and accepted me; what does that tell you?

I hate the timetable (4 one hour periods a day for each subject???), I hate the teaching system (2 alternating teachers for each lesson, so we jump around the different modules), there's no teacher-student relationships, the teaching isn't even an 8/10 (like I was expecting for its high reputation), It takes me an hour to get to, I have to wear a 2 piece suit everyday, I have less freedom than when I was in year 11 at my old school, I disagree with a lot of the teachers because they're all right wing af, and (this is by far the worst thing): the teachers are just watching and waiting for you to make a mistake, so that they can penalize you - rather than discuss with you the situation, try and come to an understanding or even support further progress.

I almost got a detention for being 'highly arrogant' because my teacher said that my maths homework was poorly laid out, so I said "I'm sorry Miss, i'll try to make things more clear next time" - the teacher just started shouting at me telling me that it wasn't good enough (baring in mind I got an A on the homework).

Also the head(s) of year are not approachable at all - one called me annoying because i tried to discuss with her some things I didn't like about the school.

It's a shame because I pretty much like all the other year 12 students there - they're a lot nicer than most people I've ever come across.

Sorry for venting.

Anyway I would apply for college but the ones around me are all full of chavs and I would go back to my old school but there were reasons I didn't want to stay on for the sixth form in the first place. I really think A levels would be most beneficial for my future, but an apprenticeship seems really tempting at the moment - although i'm certain that the one I wished to apply for will not accept students at this time anyway. I just feel like I'm trapped in a corner, and that time is running out. If anyone could offer any advice I'd appreciate it so much - I just really need to gain some perspective of my own situation.

Scroll to see replies

What subjects are you taking at the moment?
What course /career path do you want in the future?
What kind of apprenticeships were you thinking of?
Original post by OnePrettyFlyGuy
So, I got pretty good GCSE grades (9 As, 1 B) and I got into one of the top schools in an upper class area. I enjoy the subjects that I'm doing and A - levels themselves aren't that bad.

However the sixth form that I've gone to is driving me crazy. It's run like a business to try and churn out the best possible grades from students - and it's all they care about. When I went for my interview, there wasn't one! They just looked at my grades and accepted me; what does that tell you?

I hate the timetable (4 one hour periods a day for each subject???), I hate the teaching system (2 alternating teachers for each lesson, so we jump around the different modules), there's no teacher-student relationships, the teaching isn't even an 8/10 (like I was expecting for its high reputation), It takes me an hour to get to, I have to wear a 2 piece suit everyday, I have less freedom than when I was in year 11 at my old school, I disagree with a lot of the teachers because they're all right wing af, and (this is by far the worst thing): the teachers are just watching and waiting for you to make a mistake, so that they can penalize you - rather than discuss with you the situation, try and come to an understanding or even support further progress.

I almost got a detention for being 'highly arrogant' because my teacher said that my maths homework was poorly laid out, so I said "I'm sorry Miss, i'll try to make things more clear next time" - the teacher just started shouting at me telling me that it wasn't good enough (baring in mind I got an A on the homework).

Also the head(s) of year are not approachable at all - one called me annoying because i tried to discuss with her some things I didn't like about the school.

It's a shame because I pretty much like all the other year 12 students there - they're a lot nicer than most people I've ever come across.

Sorry for venting.

Anyway I would apply for college but the ones around me are all full of chavs and I would go back to my old school but there were reasons I didn't want to stay on for the sixth form in the first place. I really think A levels would be most beneficial for my future, but an apprenticeship seems really tempting at the moment - although i'm certain that the one I wished to apply for will not accept students at this time anyway. I just feel like I'm trapped in a corner, and that time is running out. If anyone could offer any advice I'd appreciate it so much - I just really need to gain some perspective of my own situation.

It depends what you were planning on doing in the future/after A-Levels.
Original post by Inspiringvisons
What subjects are you taking at the moment?
What course /career path do you want in the future?
What kind of apprenticeships were you thinking of?

Maths, physics, chemistry and business - so they're all pretty easy to study for independently.

I would like to go into engineering.

I have my eyes set on an engineering degree apprenticeship at Jaguar Land Rover - where there is plenty of employment and promotion opportunities, and high wages.

My only concern with doing an engineering apprenticeship to get in would be that, what if I grow bored of it as i get older? With my only level 3 qualification being an engineering diploma (rather than my A levels), I feel like the range of work that I could fall back on would be much much more narrow.
Original post by Illimitable
It depends what you were planning on doing in the future/after A-Levels.

See above (i'm not sure if you're notified if I respond to someone else).
Wow i can totally relate to this!! I fkn hate my school!!! Everything is just the same as yours. But in my case, its not a sixth form... its a university gateway and its soo childish! We have to get here by 8:30 and stay in till 3:30 even if we have no lessons and the school doesnt even provide much leisure activities! Since i have been to a sixth form for 3 months before coming in here..... i can totally feel the change and this place is just ridiculous! And yh, i also travel an hour to get here and wear a freaking suit all day long! I completely feel your pain. However i've somehow managed an year in here and has started my second year. This one more year and I'm out of here... so that's the only thing that motivates me to wake up every day!😂
Good luck to you bro! I suggest you chande your college before its too late if you feel the same way....and I hope you'll find the right place for you!! Take care!
Reply 6
Maths, physics, chemistry and business - so they're all pretty easy to study for independently.

I would like to go into engineering.

I have my eyes set on an engineering degree apprenticeship at Jaguar Land Rover - where there is plenty of employment and promotion opportunities, and high wages.

My only concern with doing an engineering apprenticeship to get in would be that, what if I grow bored of it as i get older? With my only level 3 qualification being an engineering diploma (rather than my A levels), I feel like the range of work that I could fall back on would be much much more narrow.

If you live close to JLR then 100% do the degree apprenticeship. You get sent to a great university and paid at the same time, if i could go back to sixth form i'd have looked seriously at apprenticeships. Just try and stick college out until you meet the entry requirements, if you're doing well and getting A's in homework just keep doing what you're doing. New problems are always facing the automotive/manufacturing industry so you'll always have interesting work to do. Good luck with college!
See above (i'm not sure if you're notified if I respond to someone else).

Well for Engineering most people usually do A-Levels and then go on to a degree. But I think you may be able to do it from an apprenticeship.
, the teaching isn't even an 8/10 (like I was expecting for its high reputation),

, I disagree with a lot of the teachers because they're all right wing af,

I almost got a detention for being 'highly arrogant'

I
Anyway I would apply for college but the ones around me are all full of chavs .

You asked for some perspective on your situation. I've selected a few quotes from your original post. I'd also point out that your user name is 'Oneprettyflyguy' and you've posted subsquently that:

It might perhaps be useful to consider whether your attitude towards other people and towards your learning environment could be adjusted so that you make more progress: working with people collaboratively taking into account other people's feelings usually leads to better outcomes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
You asked for some perspective on your situation. I've selected a few quotes from your original post. I'd also point out that your user name is 'Oneprettyflyguy' and you've posted subsquently that:

It might perhaps be useful to consider whether your attitude towards other people and towards your learning environment could be adjusted so that you make more progress: working with people collaboratively taking into account other people's feelings usually leads to better outcomes.

What do you mean? Are you suggesting that my issue with sixth form is with my own attitude towards learning?
Original post by 1c8e2
If you live close to JLR then 100% do the degree apprenticeship. You get sent to a great university and paid at the same time, if i could go back to sixth form i'd have looked seriously at apprenticeships. Just try and stick college out until you meet the entry requirements, if you're doing well and getting A's in homework just keep doing what you're doing. New problems are always facing the automotive/manufacturing industry so you'll always have interesting work to do. Good luck with college!

Yup, I live close to 4 JLR locations. I'm pretty much set on the degree apprenticeship - but my issue is these next 2 years...

I can get into the degree apprenticeship just by doing a level 3 apprenticeship, so my A levels aren't actually necessary - but i'm just trying to think about how much will A levels vs. level 3 apprenticeship will benefit me in the future long term.

I don't mind A levels, I just hate sixth form :/

Sorry for venting.

Usually I'd say are you sure a level is for you but it seems like your not particularly struggling it seems like the environment isn't right for you I know you say the collages are full of chavs but you do get a lot more freedom at collage and you'll find a lot of the chavs are chavs and not chavs the other option is to tough it out take a look at collages I'm sure you can find a nice one like i went from reading to Henley every day.
Reply 12

Sorry for venting.

I felt the exact same way when i was in year 12
i must say apart from the teachers themselves most of that is normal for sixth forms, no interview, 2 teachers per subject, four single hour periods.
Teachers though and your head of year, i agree, they're damn awful! they're supposed to help not ignore you and be that strict. and jeez, an A in anything A level is amazing as it's so hard!
Hey look if i were you try and stcik it out untill your get your AS levels, between now and then try and find a course at college/ tech that you want to do. My friend did that and it was fine. Talk it over with yur parents, and find out your options. good luck!!

Sorry for venting.

Reply 15
should have a btec master race instead of going into the A level rat race that's filled with lefty cuckolds like you. BTEC is for the true white right wing alphas

Sorry for venting.

We live in a society where student value grades more than the actual knowledge, this is why we have cheating

What we're missing is the students own will to go and do the work themselves because right now they're just forced to mindlessly take in useless info which most likely won't be used for life in the future, coming from a 17yr old student in the UK
If you want to do the JLR Apprenticeship, can't blame you, it looks awesome. But you'll need A2 maths for it, and a Level 3 Extended diploma in Engineering as well. Honestly, it sounds like every other sixth form. It may not be fun but, as you said, they want to churn out the best possible grades, and if your grades are good you can get onto an engineering course/do the apprenticeship from there. Stick with it for a bit, ignore the teachers, just focus on your studies and friends. In the long run, it'll be worth sticking with it I reckon. Just my opinion though.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
I know how you feel. Endless homework with unreasonable teachers. Teacher not long ago called parents because of my "misbehaviour". But in my shoes it is a completely different story.
i hate it too, deal with it. lol

Quick Reply

Latest