The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey, I got A(bio) B(phys) C(chem and art).
I feel really awful about these. Is it realistic to try and get my predicted grades up to AABB. Do i need to retake any AS exams???Help!!!
I got 5A*, 3B and 1C for GCSE's and have 3yrs working every sat morning at a sa vets, 1 week equine referral vets, 1 week kennels/cattery, 2 weeks lambing/calving an 2 days cats protection.
Im planning to do lambing again next year and some dairy and pig work.

Please help!!!!
thank you!!
Well it depends on your modular results and how much pressure you think you can cope with at A2 as to what you resit.
As a general rule, resit anything you failed, or anything you can easily hike up. Grades at a level are a numbers game - you want the best ums scores you can get, when i resat some of mine i raised some ums by upto 40! Which makes a huge difference. If there was a particular module that dragged you down - thats one to resit,
I split my resits between january and june, trying to do as many as poss in january to take the pressure off a2 exams in june - some of my friends didnt like the immediacy of january and waited but then struggled through june.
Resitting actually helped me to understand alot of the A2 work - so dont feel embarassed or whatever - it can give you a big advantage!
Reply 42
I split my resits between Jan and Summer too - I found it really worth my while retaking AS units since they're about 5 times easier than the A2 units. For example, I got a C at AS chem too, then kicked myself into gear and got some unit marks at A2 and AS up to As, which really boosted my grade. Look long and hard at your unit marks and try and develop a resit strategy.
Out of interest - are you dropping a subject next year?
Reply 43
I would suggest dropping art. Some people say its a release from the sciences but you are strong at bio and physics and chem is compulsory. Dropping art may take off some of the pressure too as I know theres a lot of coursework involved.
Reply 44
Hey im resitting i think about 3 modules and i will do them in january because i had such a horrible b'day last year for example
Sunday- my b'day
Monday- Maths+Gen stud exam
Tuesday- Biology exam (x2)
Wednesday-Chemistry exam (x2)
Thursday
Friday-Physics (x2)

Wasnt brilliant so will be doin them in january to try and help releive the stress in summer coz if i do good i will have the results in April and so will be able to have alot less pressure... Or if i do bad i will atleast know how much more effort is going to be required!!
I should drop art if i was you because they only ask for three a levels and well to put it bluntly your (and mine also) weakest is chemistry but we cant drop it so the option is to drop the 2nd weakest in your case art in mine physics (i dont want to coz it was only 4ums off an A but it will reduce the stress remember)
Reply 45
Im thinking of dropping art, i love drawing but to be honest, a level art isnt really about that, for eg my art homework over the summer has been to write an 1000 word essay! In chemistry I got CCB and both C's were 54/90.
Im trying to get into contact with teachers this week about changing my predicted grades. I go back to school on the 6th so my ucas application wont be sent on the 1st of september...is this a disadvantage i should be worrying about?

Thanks very much
Reply 46
No, I didnt think UCAS officially opened until the second week in september! Anyway, the earlier you get it off the better but dont worry about it. I wanted mine off early but my tutor took forever writing my reference so I didnt send it till last week in September. Made no difference and RVC and Bristol still interviewed me early and I was in the first batch off notts interviews and somewhere in the middle for liverpool!
Reply 47
cool...im just a worrier, its in my genes apparently
Reply 48
I worry LOADS too, don't worry! Don't worry about sending off your application insanely early, but do do it as early as you feasibly can. I've been told several times that the time your application's in by DOES make a difference...people at vetsix probably heard the same thing from that guy (the amazing one). I had the same problem as Rachel in that my application was ready from ME early, then my school were naff at getting it off.

And I really would honestly drop Art if I were you...I did something similar as my 4th AS was Music. Frankly though, AS Music KILLS your passion for music....so it was no big loss!!
Reply 49
My grades were quite tragic: BCDU.. still going for it though.. eek.
Reply 50
Ucas applications open next week, or so i'm told, so I would'nt worry about your application not been ready yet!
Having said that I have mind done and dusted so its easy to say!!
Reply 51
Earlier the better In my opinion. although I did send mine off the day before the deadline and im still in :P
Reply 52
Well i dont go back till thursday 13th so i guess my early application is screwed and i have to get my teachers and stuff to check it so :frown: its not looking good!!
i have a question about AS levels and didnt think it was worth starting a new thread:

what grade do the unis want in your additional AS level, and will this have an impact on your application or offer?
Reply 54
Nope additional AS level dont even come into it. I did bio chem and Maths to A2 and an AS in physics. I got AAA with a B in AS physics but all my offers were AAB, none of them even mentioned my physics!
Reply 55
my AS grades A (maths) BBB (chem bio and physics). And also i think ucas opened yday and mine is almost ready need the teachers reference and need to check sum stuff about putting in as grades and stuff. My predicted Grades are AAA and A or B in bio even though tht was my highst B. My form tutor has just changed though and are form tutor from last year should be doing my reference....appartently hes good at writing but slow....i need him to be quick quick quick. i want to send mine off by next monday!!
Reply 56
I -wanted- to send mine off early, and had it all ready to go - however, my school took forever getting my reference sorted, which was a royal pain in the backside. So everyone applying to oxbridge, for medicine and me had ours off far later than we'd have wished (we were told that the earlier you had it off the better)...but as other people have said - I'm still in, so it's not that drastic.
Reply 57
Lol I was the same, ready early but my form tutor took an age to write my reference. Was worth it tho bless him, he wrote me such a good reference! :biggrin:
Reply 58
Our school was so damn secretive about it! We weren't (and aren't) allowed to know who wrote them, and we weren't allowed to read them - I requested a copy of mine from UCAS in the end.
Yes, I know - I went to school in 1890

Latest

Trending

Trending