The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough?

At GCSE I achieved 3 A*'s and 7 A's (due to personal circumstances at that time they were lower than my predicted grades).

I am currently doing my AS levels and I am predicted 4 A's. My subjects are History, English Literature, Clasical Civilisation and Geography. The subjects should apply to a law degree well.

I really want to go to a russell group university (especially Edinburgh or Durham) and was wondering if my GCSE grades are too low? I know it depends mainly on my A2 results but it was just out of interest.

I equally would love to apply to Oxford but I think my GCSE grades are too low. Any thoughts?
Reply 1
I don't know what world you're living in but i would like to know why you think 3A* and 7A's are too low?

Uni's look at GCSE, AS grades, predicted A2 grades and your personal statement/reference as a whole, not just based on academics.

Why should they accept you over someone else who has the same, if not better grades? What can you offer to the uni? What have you taken part in or done that shows interest towards law?

In my opinion, focus on improving your overall experiences/skills to show you have interest in the law course, dont worry about the GCSE, theyre good as it is.

Ive applied to uni this year (y13 student) and ive done literally loads of law related stuff like visit the supreme court, parliament, gotten work experience at a solicitors etc. Its added to my personal statement and ive already gotten an offer from QMUL, awaiting offers from Durham&UCL. My GCSE are all B's and 1A, yet im predicted A*AA and achieved AAB AS level.

Work your ass off for AS Level trust me, your A2 predicted grades are based on that, so if you do bad on AS and dont even meet the requirements for Law (usually A*AA/AAA at top uni's) then you wont even get an offer.

Finally, like i said work on personal statement too. Get involved with as many law stuff as you can, you hear stories of people with straight A* getting refuses by particular uni's, most likely because you can be the most academic student but if you have nothing to offer or anything that shows interest towards your particular course, why should they take you?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply! I understand completely what you're saying, all the best with your uni applications. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending