The Student Room Group

Second year and thinking about dropping out...

Should I stay or should I go?

I am a second year computer science student, I really disliked my course last year but thought I was just disliking one module (maths) so I kept at it knowing I wouldn't have to do that module next year, I then spent all summer not thinking about uni, I'd passed and gotten into my second year and I just completely didn't think about how much I disliked first year as I was just happy I'd made it to second year and thought it would get better. This year I seem to be just hating every module and with that it's REALLY hard. I'm struggling with all my coursework and do not think that I can get a 2:1 at the end of the three years. Which worries me because then I'd feel like I'd wasted three years and a huge amount of money. My coursework is hard, I spend pretty much ALL of my free time/evenings/weekends trying to do it and am finding myself getting no where. But because I also don't enjoy it i find myself being miserable doing the work. With no real motivation to seek help... I just spend hours attempting on my own Along with this I'm very lonely, I commute to uni and have made no friends there making my time tougher. I don't really have any desire to work in this field anymore either.. I've been looking at apprentiships but still have no idea what it is I want to do but because I'm not enjoying it anything seems better than uni right now (and earning money sounds great!!) I want a degree and a really good career in the hopes of going abroad or even immigrating in the future but I don't know if a degree will help me? That's pretty much the only reason I'm staying (and not wanting to disappoint family) I wouldn't want to change courses... I have no desire in going through another first year of a different course so I know that's not for me. I have looked into open university but I'm not sure on how it really works, and if my credits from first year will transfer. What do you reccomend please help!
Reply 1
Original post by P3achyyy
Should I stay or should I go?

I am a second year computer science student, I really disliked my course last year but thought I was just disliking one module (maths) so I kept at it knowing I wouldn't have to do that module next year, I then spent all summer not thinking about uni, I'd passed and gotten into my second year and I just completely didn't think about how much I disliked first year as I was just happy I'd made it to second year and thought it would get better. This year I seem to be just hating every module and with that it's REALLY hard. I'm struggling with all my coursework and do not think that I can get a 2:1 at the end of the three years. Which worries me because then I'd feel like I'd wasted three years and a huge amount of money. My coursework is hard, I spend pretty much ALL of my free time/evenings/weekends trying to do it and am finding myself getting no where. But because I also don't enjoy it i find myself being miserable doing the work. With no real motivation to seek help... I just spend hours attempting on my own Along with this I'm very lonely, I commute to uni and have made no friends there making my time tougher. I don't really have any desire to work in this field anymore either.. I've been looking at apprenticeships but still have no idea what it is I want to do but because I'm not enjoying it anything seems better than uni right now (and earning money sounds great!!) I want a degree and a really good career in the hopes of going abroad or even immigrating in the future but I don't know if a degree will help me? That's pretty much the only reason I'm staying (and not wanting to disappoint family) I wouldn't want to change courses... I have no desire in going through another first year of a different course so I know that's not for me. I have looked into open university but I'm not sure on how it really works, and if my credits from first year will transfer. What do you recommend please help!

You can transfer credits to the Open University.
However, your credits are in Computer Science. This would mean that you can continue studying for a CS degree with them - and it doesn't sound like you want to. Your other option would be to do an Open Degree, which is where you can choose modules from any subjects you want. The problem with this is that many higher level modules require you to have studied specific lower level modules, so you will find that you either have a limited choice of what you can do or you need to take Level 1 modules even though you've already passed that stage.
The OU is also studying from home by distance learning. Some people struggle with this, as you don't get as much contact with other students. There are tutorials, but these tend to be every month or so, and not everyone attends. There are also OU forums, and you can email your tutor for help. You don't get a maintenance loan for OU study so most people get a part time job.

I know you've said you don't want to do another first year in a different subject, but you wouldn't be able to get finance for this. You've used up 2 years of student finance, which means that if you do return in the future you would have to fund the first year yourself. You would get funding for subsequent years, though.
Original post by Juno
However, your credits are in Computer Science. This would mean that you can continue studying for a CS degree with them - and it doesn't sound like you want to. Your other option would be to do an Open Degree, which is where you can choose modules from any subjects you want. The problem with this is that many higher level modules require you to have studied specific lower level modules, so you will find that you either have a limited choice of what you can do or you need to take Level 1 modules even though you've already passed that stage.
The OU is also studying from home by distance learning. Some people struggle with this, as you don't get as much contact with other students. There are tutorials, but these tend to be every month or so, and not everyone attends. There are also OU forums, and you can email your tutor for help. You don't get a maintenance loan for OU study so most people get a part time job.

I know you've said you don't want to do another first year in a different subject, but you wouldn't be able to get finance for this. You've used up 2 years of student finance, which means that if you do return in the future you would have to fund the first year yourself. You would get funding for subsequent years, though.

Thank you for your response! I am somewhat interested in changing to OU and transferring my credits, OU seems to have a larger choice of modules with some that I do think would fit me better. I'm just abit unsure on the process of it all. I understand its learning from a distance (which I love the sound of... I dont actually speak to any students or any tutors/lecturers at my uni, so I'm not worried about like 1 to 1 or contact time) I am just unsure on how the years schedule is, if you have to attend the meets they hold (if so where are they), Where do i have exams, what modules do i have exams in etc. and im not sure on where I can find this information out.
Reply 3
Original post by P3achyyy
Thank you for your response! I am somewhat interested in changing to OU and transferring my credits, OU seems to have a larger choice of modules with some that I do think would fit me better. I'm just abit unsure on the process of it all. I understand its learning from a distance (which I love the sound of... I dont actually speak to any students or any tutors/lecturers at my uni, so I'm not worried about like 1 to 1 or contact time) I am just unsure on how the years schedule is, if you have to attend the meets they hold (if so where are they), Where do i have exams, what modules do i have exams in etc. and im not sure on where I can find this information out.

Most OU modules now start in October, although there are a few modules that start in February or May (you might find a few that start March or September, but they're classed as either October or February starts for admin purposes).
So when you start, you get sent all the study materials, and get access to the course website. For some courses you might have to buy a couple of set books - these are things like dictionaries, or novels for English - but the textbooks are provided. You'll get a study calendar and it will set out what you need to be doing each week. This will be reading chapters of the textbook, listening to audio or video on the course website, and may have other bits too. But it's all set out in the study calendar. You don't have to stick to this - you can work faster or slower if it fits your schedule.
I have attached a sample study calendar. Notice how it doesn't micro-manage your time - it says what to do each week, and you do it.

Generally, courses have one tutorial every few weeks. This lasts several hours. Some modules are now doing online tutorials, which I haven't experienced. Otherwise, they're at venues in your area. They're not specific OU venues, they're just somewhere they can hire a room with tables etc. I found that mine were held at local colleges, but you get told details of when and where. They try to find venues that are accessible by public transport.
Tutorials are optional. If you go then you can meet people, and you can also ask questions. Sometimes it's easier to discuss things and learn from that, rather than just reading a text. It also can be quicker than replying to emails, and you get instant feedback. But if you don't want to go then you don't have to.

The OU website will list whether the modules have exams. Not all modules do. If you do have exams you get details of where - they won't be the same venue as the tutorial so you'll need to check. They can be places like football clubs, churches, gym clubs - anywhere they can have a big room. All exams are held during a 2 week period, so when you go to your exam there will be people doing exams of different modules there. This isn't a problem. They also sometimes have to split people up, so if you have found a friend doing your module their exam might be held at the same time but a different venue.

During the course, you are set pieces of work to complete. These are like your assignments now. They have to be completed in time for the deadline. Each module will have around 6 pieces of work to complete and hand in.
There should be some kind of student helper thing at your uni and they deal with this stuff all the time. I think you should ask them they are good at providing information that can help you. Good luck
---
Maybe you could take a gap year from uni or you could go into IT support or something like that?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Juno

Hi I've been feeling exactly the same and have been considering OU. I'm doing psychology and like it a lot just hate being away from home so much. Does this mean I can do my third year at OU if I transfer my credits? I've looked at it online but was a bit confused by it all

Quick Reply

Latest