The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

I know you are allowed to take up to 40 credits in another faculty but is that per year? And if so, could you take 40 credits in another faculty in the first semester and then none in the second semester?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 41
Jesuisfilleunique
I know you are allowed to take up to 40 credits in another faculty but is that per year? And if so, could you take 40 credits in another faculty in the first semester and then none in the second semester?

I think as long as you take the required modules from you faculty then it won't be a problem. I see you are doing maths [as am I] so you will probably need to take these modules: Semester 1: MT1002. Semester 2: MT2001. And then one of MT1008/1003/1004. 1008 is in first semester and the other two are in second. The rest of the credits are then yours to do what you wish.

I took: 1st Semester: MT1002, MT1008 and PH2011. 2nd Semester: MT2001, MT2005.
Jesuisfilleunique

joe8232
I think as long as you take the required modules from you faculty then it won't be a problem. I see you are doing maths [as am I] so you will probably need to take these modules: Semester 1: MT1002. Semester 2: MT2001. And then one of MT1008/1003/1004. 1008 is in first semester and the other two are in second. The rest of the credits are then yours to do what you wish.

I took: 1st Semester: MT1002, MT1008 and PH2011. 2nd Semester: MT2001, MT2005.

To summarise the (frankly brilliant and rivals my in-depth replies :biggrin: ) reply by joe8232, yes you can take whatever modules you want whenever you want. As a side note though remember to continue courses on to further years (2nd, 3rd ect) you need to do all required modules for it every year, which as a minimum is usually 1 module per semester. By doing only one of the required modules for a course (1 semesters worth) you will not normally be able to continue the any subject further.
Reply 43
I'm going to have 20 credits left over after I've selected my required modules, and I'm thinking of filling it in with Classical Studies. I noticed that a "reading list" was given... does that mean summer reading, or books that I need to buy for use during the course?
Reply 44
Do modules (for first years) fill up quickly? Is there a need to rush to sign up for any of them?

Thanks for the reply on dropping a course btw. Some uni's allow you to drop up to halfway through so wasn't sure about StA. I know some folks who've taken an extra course (above recommended) knowing that if the workload is too great they can drop it.
Reply 45
A72
Do modules (for first years) fill up quickly? Is there a need to rush to sign up for any of them?.

I don't think space is an issue in St. Andrews. At least it doesn't appear to be in the science faculty. I think the only thing to worry about is the prerequisites for each module you want to take.
Student88
I'm going to have 20 credits left over after I've selected my required modules, and I'm thinking of filling it in with Classical Studies. I noticed that a "reading list" was given... does that mean summer reading, or books that I need to buy for use during the course?

Usually during the course unless specifically stated and I'm pretty sure that no course expects you to have read any material for the course (other than what was required for your A-Levels / Highers) before you start your first year.

A72
Do modules (for first years) fill up quickly? Is there a need to rush to sign up for any of them?

Thanks for the reply on dropping a course btw. Some uni's allow you to drop up to halfway through so wasn't sure about StA. I know some folks who've taken an extra course (above recommended) knowing that if the workload is too great they can drop it.

Some of the more popular module like IR do fill up quickly but most are fine, also modules are not finalised until advising so it doesnt matter how fast you pick modules now (as long as its before the deadline) as it all boils down to when they are finally approved and in putted into the system by your advisor.

I cant see a problem with dropping extra modules (more than credit requirements), though your advisor will STRONGLY advise you not to do extra modules as they have little to no value to your degree and only make things harder for yourself, also they will also STRONGLY advise you then not to drop them as then all the teaching, administration and any costs associated with it are then wasted. My advice once again is dont do extra modules unless you have a really good reason for it. If it is just a slight interest just keep it in mind until next year, it may help make up credits if you decide to drop a course (which is common) or there is a non-required module you do not want to do.
Reply 47
Usually during the course unless specifically stated and I'm pretty sure that no course expects you to have read any material for the course (other than what was required for your A-Levels / Highers) before you start your first year.

Thanks for the advice!
Reply 48
does anyone have any experiences of first year philosophy modules? are they any good as filler courses?
im so confused O_O

Will this all get explained to me when i arrive?!
_dream
does anyone have any experiences of first year philosophy modules? are they any good as filler courses?

I hope so, I'm doing one as a filler next year. There are some good 10 credit late day modules that are quite handy for making up left over credits as they have relativity few lectures and rarely clash.
EDIT: Damn theyve completely changed 1000 level philosophy modules, looks like I'll have to re-think my modules now!
I read in the pre-advising guidance notes that you are not normally allowed to take more than 40 credits from another faculty in your whoooole degree. Is this a rigid rule? Or are they quite lax about it?
Reply 52
^^ I hope they're not serious about that!

I've chosen 60 credits from the geography and geoscience department for my first year.

It's soo hard picking modules! All the modules I want to do are in semester 2 for which I already have 3 modules.

In the end I chose a geography module.. hope I've not made the wrong choice lol.

Are the language for science student modules any good?
If you prefer focussing on actually learning the language, grammar, and some science-y vocab rather than studying literature, then the language for science modules are quite good.
Reply 54
Some help please - I'm doing Psychology - yet there isn't a school of Psych in the course catalogue?

My definite modules are BL1001, BL1002 and PS1001 and PS1002.

I'm dithering between LT1001/1002 and PY1105/1006. Is linguistics or logics harder, which has the more work load and has anyone had experience of these modules? Could I even take one of each?
I am confused.. i am going to do a Geography degree so i'll take GE1001 and GE1002, Then i want to do geology as well so its GS1001 and GS1002, but then i get stuck, i really would liketo do sustainable development but its only 20 credits, and is only in semester2, so could i take an IR module in semester 1.. to make up the credits, and balance out the timetable, or should i just choose 2 biology modules?
Reply 56
You've figured it out. All you have to do it take 120 credits per year. That usually amounts to 60 per semester (though I'll be doing 50 in semester one and 70 in semester 2). So by taking the four first year modules for geography and geology you'll have 80 credits taken care of. That leaves you with one more module to be taken per semester. So, you can take IR 1005 (is that first semester) until christmas and then take the SD module in second semester. Or equally you can do a bio module each semester. All you have to do is mix and match and make sure you fulfill the requirements for your main subject (i.e. take all the right modules for that course). Aside, I recomend you take something other than SD in frist year because you already have geo and geology. It's a good idea to broaden your studies (in my opinion)... IR, managent, bio, chemistry, physics all go well with a geo degree.
Luser
Some help please - I'm doing Psychology - yet there isn't a school of Psych in the course catalogue?

My definite modules are BL1001, BL1002 and PS1001 and PS1002.

I'm dithering between LT1001/1002 and PY1105/1006. Is linguistics or logics harder, which has the more work load and has anyone had experience of these modules? Could I even take one of each?

:confused: Yes there is http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/21-psychsubh07-08Aug.pdf . oh well :biggrin:

And sorry I cant help you with your decision as I know nothing abut either subjects I can however tell you that if your considering 2nd year modules in biology it might be better for you to do BL1201 rather than BL1002 as that is required by many second year modules (though some second year modules only require BL1001 and BL1002 and some require all 3, it might be worth looking first to see what you would be interested in now)
Reply 58
I just pressed "submit" when the whole thing closed down for maintenance -just my luck :biggrin:
I was however signing up for 160 credits since I can't for the love of god (:argh:) decide between arabic and spanish other than my compulsory IR and management modules... I think I really could do both though, if only they would let me :biggrin:
For those like peace_and_love that pick 140 credits - does that mean that you're only choosing Ancient History for one semester?
Friday night and here...

I did roman history as part of the courses I read at Gothenburg uni - so there's no point me doing it again. I wanna read greek history. But I'm reading books about it now so I don't need to do it there.

Latest

Trending

Trending