The Student Room Group
I think politics at a secondary school might be a bit harder to teach- there'll be less places that teach it, whereas everywhere has to teach History because of the National Curriculem. I don't know how a school would work, that taught both History and Politics, but you might well be able to do both- some teachers at my school taught two related subjects, such as IT and Business Studies, or unrelated subjects such as PE and Maths.
Reply 2
A teacher at my old school taught both
Reply 3
I would imagine its potentially more valuable than a single honours degree, as it shows the ability to multitask and usually involves more work than a single honours degree.
Reply 4
Very respected don't worry about it. Often History teachers get asked to teach Politics as well. I'll be doing a History joint degree as well - will rock lol!
Yes, it's very well respected. As for teaching, you'll probably end up teaching history if you teach in a secondary school because politics isn't a subject at Key Stage 3 or GCSE, as far as I know, and very few sixth forms offer it at A-level. If it is offered in your school, I'm sure you could teach both, and you might be asked to teach Citizenship or something related as well.
Reply 6
My As Nazi Germany History techer is also the only Politics teacher in my college. :P

Always been tempted to ask him if he gets paied more for teaching both and if so how much, but never could bring myself to do it for some reason :s-smilie: