The Student Room Group

GCSE grades for pharmacy at UCL?

I took my GCSEs last summer in 2016, and I'm interested in doing Pharmacy at UCL, but I'm worried my grades are too low for such a good university. Does anyone have any idea of what grades they would be happy with, assuming I get the right A level grades (I'm currently studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing at AS level

My GCSEs:
Maths: A* A* (Linked Pair Pilot, think this counts as two grades?)
Further Maths: B
Statistics: A
English Lit: A
English Lang: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
Biology: A
R.E. : B
Computing: A*
History: B
Music: B
French: A
Chinese: A

Thanks in advance for any help/advice :smile:
GCSE requirements look to be B in English language and maths and C in a foreign language, which you meet!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by llamalover57
I took my GCSEs last summer in 2016, and I'm interested in doing Pharmacy at UCL, but I'm worried my grades are too low for such a good university. Does anyone have any idea of what grades they would be happy with, assuming I get the right A level grades (I'm currently studying Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing at AS level

My GCSEs:
Maths: A* A* (Linked Pair Pilot, think this counts as two grades?)
Further Maths: B
Statistics: A
English Lit: A
English Lang: A
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
Biology: A
R.E. : B
Computing: A*
History: B
Music: B
French: A
Chinese: A

Thanks in advance for any help/advice :smile:

They're definitely good enough. Your GCSE's are very good focus more on your A-Levels get better grades and you will get into UCL for Pharamacy then.
Original post by radarmaker
GCSE requirements look to be B in English language and maths and C in a foreign language, which you meet!

Original post by Illimitable
They're definitely good enough. Your GCSE's are very good focus more on your A-Levels get better grades and you will get into UCL for Pharamacy then.

I was thinking that for such a high ranking university, they would want much better than just the B in English and maths, C in an MFL though?
I was thinking that for such a high ranking university, they would want much better than just the B in English and maths, C in an MFL though?

That's just their minimum requirement. They usually expect A/A* but GCSE's don't really matter as much as A-Levels do so don't worry.

Apparently not! Given that their A-Level offer is AAA-AAB they're clearly more bothered about high performance in Upper Sixth than they are about GCSEs. To echo @Illimitable, I'd say make sure that you meet the GCSE requirements for anywhere you apply but beyond that don't worry about the results that you already have and focus on doing well in your A-Levels :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by radarmaker
Apparently not! Given that their A-Level offer is AAA-AAB they're clearly more bothered about high performance in Upper Sixth than they are about GCSEs. Echoing @Illimitable somewhat, I'd say make sure that you meet the GCSE requirements for anywhere you apply but beyond that don't worry about the results that you already have and focus on doing well in your A-Levels :smile:

I told OP that as long as you meet their basic entry requirements not to worry too much about GCSE's and that A-Levels matter more. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest