The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
..and?
Reply 21
A.Jitto
yeh neither do i...anyways i got accepted to do human bio at my uni and finish it off in 3 years and appply for medicine as a graduate entry....thanks for the top ups guys

Becareful - the fees cap comes off in 2010... Can you afford £16-24,000 a year fees???? A few schools have indicated that they will try to charge full whack... Whatever happens, you can guarentee that it will be at least £10k a year...
Mangaroo
i dont get whats funny -hes asian and he applied for medicine? seriously, thats funny?

yea, whats funny?...that is soo harsh missing your grades by so little...can empathize there...grrrrrr:mad: bring on remarks!
Reply 23
Fluffy
Becareful - the fees cap comes off in 2010... Can you afford £16-24,000 a year fees???? A few schools have indicated that they will try to charge full whack... Whatever happens, you can guarentee that it will be at least £10k a year...

woah thats crazy i had no idea, student loan companies must be put on quite a strain deal with that..
Reply 24
Fluffy

Does that mean if I'm still at med school in 2011/2012 (which I will be hopefully) I could be paying £10K a year or will the cap remain in place for people who are already at uni?
Reply 25
hmm good question, i assumed no but to be honest i dont know cause they do still raise it slightly each year anyway...will inquire at my uni..
Reply 26
Johnny C.
Does that mean if I'm still at med school in 2011/2012 (which I will be hopefully) I could be paying £10K a year or will the cap remain in place for people who are already at uni?

It means that FROM 2010, unis may be able to charge what they want - the fees cap is only in place until then. If fees go up in 2010, then that is what you will pay. Starting a new degree resets the clock, so yes, you would be liable for the higher fees.

Here's one of many links a Google pulls up: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6273959.stm

BBC

Vice-chancellors from the Russell Group - the top 20 universities which conduct the most research - said maximum fees of £3,000 would have to at least double following a review of the system in 2009. One Russell Group head suggested families should expect to save much more for their children's education.
I love the way A Jitto's asking about doing medicine turned into a discussion about lots of asians doing medicine :rofl:
yeah and what if lots of asians do medicine. so what. are you jelous or sumin? cos that's how it sounds to me.

could it be a case that they're more intelligent, so they qualify for higher degrees.

you can't stop someone doing medicine just because they're asian. say if you're white and you want to do medicine, and the law states you can't or everyone will take the piss cos you're white, now tell me how you would feel.

yeah exalty.
Reply 29
LittleMissTwinkle
yeah and what if lots of asians do medicine. so what. are you jelous or sumin? cos that's how it sounds to me.

could it be a case that they're more intelligent, so they qualify for higher degrees.

you can't stop someone doing medicine just because they're asian. say if you're white and you want to do medicine, and the law states you can't or everyone will take the piss cos you're white, now tell me how you would feel.

yeah exalty.

....seriously..
sorry, what?
Reply 31
some of the things you said are pretty :x pm cause its going off topic, if u want to know..
LittleMissTwinkle

yeah exalty.

for heaven sake its a joke.....get over life goes on

Don't be absurd. You just sound well childish, as said before it was a joke!
I love the way how you generalize that all Asians are more intelligent, more intelligent than what? Whites? Nice to see who's the racist now :rolleyes:

Less likely that most asians are medics because they are "more intelligent"; more likely the social pressures to go into what is seen as a "good" degree/profession...medicine, law, accountancy etc.

And before you start, I'm mixed, both English and Pakistani...so I can laugh at both stereotypes of my background, it's good to laugh at yourself from time to time!
Reply 34
A Jitto, surely it's still worth writing a letter to your unis, explaining the situation (and in the meantime getting a priority remark). Don't go for your backup choice when you could just take a gap year, do a few resits and then reapply with less trouble and less expense!

I don't see why the whole Asian/Medicine thing is so funny - is it so unreasonable that some Asians might actually want to go into Medicine because they want to? I agree that being a doctor probably holds a lot of prestige over there, but it's a hell of a lot of hard work just so that your parents are happy with your career choice :rolleyes:
Reply 35
I iz fik. Iz it coz I iz wyte?
digitalis

And before you start, I'm mixed, both English and Pakistani...so I can laugh at both stereotypes of my background, it's good to laugh at yourself from time to time!

I never knew that mate! Me too. :biggrin: Cool I've found another. I've only ever met one other person with the same mix. Damn, if only you were going to UCL :p:
Haha awesome, it's like the bread...Best of Both :wink:
I'm 3/4 English, 1/4 Paki and a bit Belgian on my English side :wink:
Ah ok, so not quite like me - half half. Your like if I had children with someone European. :p:
Fluffy

That will make medicine an elitist field. Well done Gordon Brown.

Latest

Trending

Trending