The Student Room Group

Feel so depressed, Uni's not been what I wanted it to be. I'm thinking about dropping

Hi

So I was very hesitant to go this uni as it's not really good for the social side and there's more guys then girls but it is a really good uni. The course I picked I thought was lightweight but it really isn't apart from one module but I don't like any module i'm doing. My flat I fully expected it to be guys/girls turned out to be 5 guys but we're really friendly with the flat next door. 2 guys drink and go out like me but one of them is in a different group while the other just there isn't enough similarities. Also, I've never been in a friendship group with girls and I thought I would share a flat with them but nah there's about 10 in my whole block and i'm not on friendly terms with any girl really but I'm not shy with girls or anything. I'm usually quite sociable and I go out especially when i'm drunk im even more sociable.
It's just that I haven't found a person that I have a lot of similarities with (same music, same sports that I like, one of my hobbies e.t.c) I'm seeing most people that have and groups are getting formed and I'm not in the ones I really want to be. None of the societies and clubs have been that good to me that too. I've gone to an asian society and I hanged around with a group that seemed cool and most of the group had known each other from school and I didn't feel part of it and I haven't talked to any of them since. I just went to a different society, I took a risk as I was going solo and all of them were pretty much 2nd years that knew others and I couldn't really relate. There were two other asians that live close to my accomodation but I always see them together and they were on the other side, I was feeling pretty uncomfortable in that situation so I left.
I'm also struggling with anxiety again and getting panic attacks during lectures and outside lectures but there doesn't seem a group at this uni where I can join it and no one knows about this anxiety I have. I've spent a good bit going out but they've all been pointless, I've had good nights but i've really met anyone proper cool that I can chill with just talked to them there, I remember their faces but we don't know each other enough to talk again! I think I just need to sort out and become even more friendlier before groups form but it's so weird at the moment..
So it's the friends/social thing mainly and i'm not enjoying my course much.
Reply 1
Hey,
I found that uni is not what people said either! All these magical groups of friends that last for years after uni seems to be a load of bs from what I have seen and been through.
I think it is hard to find someone with allll the same likes and dislikes, so try and relate to people based on a few aspects and work from there.
It takes time to meet the right people and because it is only the first year, there will be more opportunities as the course progresses. Don't give up hope and don't abandon university either. I think you have tried well to fit in but maybe you should just relax a bit and the people who you like will eventually find you.
Reply 2
Just stick to studying then, thats what youre here for.
Reply 3
Uni can be hard sometimes, It may feel boring or pointless but once you finish your degree you'll be opening many doors for later life, so stick it out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending