The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

id say 0 in the first year... and probably 1/10 in 2nd/3rd.

There are jobs on campus - the most 'in demand' being the hall bar jobs... alot of people work in the city though (including me). its a big city so its pretty easy to find a weekend job.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
You can get occasional work doing campus tours and stuff, which is what I'm doing next year - mainly for the CV though and not for money. Or work in a hall bar as some people have said. I've found it easier to just work in the summer holidays and save like crazy, then spend that money in the next year at uni, although my research placement this summer isn't paying that well. Poor science :frown:
I had a job in second year but it got in the way of having fun so I'm going to be poor in my third year :smile:
Reply 4
i had a job in my first year (last year),was alright and didn't interfere with uni work or hanging out with friends.if anything,it made me use my time more wisely and i actually did a lot more studying when i was working than when i wasn't. got paid pretty well for it as well. i had one in town at a call centre, really easy job. then left that one and worked as a temp staff for the uni and a few other agencies from easter time to summer. was really good and got paid well. i've got a job already for blackwells bookshop at uni from september,so should be good. (pop in and say hi :smile: ) there are loads of jobs going around, just make sure you apply early, your cv is up to scratch, have a great attitude and you should be able to get a good job. :smile: plus think of the extra money you can play with if you like or if you want save,like i sometimes do. :smile:

tip: it's always helpful to join an agency or several ones as they can be quite good for job hunting. i'm with one called barker ross,and they got me a job within a week.i'm also registered with an advertising agency and they pay me a minimum of £10/hr for every job,although all the jobs i've been given have paid £12/hr and it's just for handing out flyers (which you could throw in the bin if you wanted :p: [i don't though hehe]) etc.

oh and check out the careers website as they get job adverts in there everyday from both in/around town and in/around uni. the newspaper on wednesday has adverts as well.

er..that's it i think. if you need any more info,just get in touch :smile:
so do most people not have jobs then? also, when's best to try and get one because obviously you want to enjoy the first few weeks and get used to things and you don't know what your timetable's going to be like but are the jobs not quickly snapped up...and what about holidays when I'll be going home?
Reply 6
you know your timetable already, they've been online since the beginning of august. if you search 'timetabling office' on the notts page,you'll find it. basically if you really want to get a job, as soon as you get sorted,so within the first week or two, start looking and applying. the thing is,if you keep it too late,you won't get one as all the job would be taken and really most places start recruiting temp staff as early as mid september. (i know thortons were holding interviews as early as the end of may). i don't know if most people had jobs, but i know that for every 10 people i knew, 3-4 of us would have jobs. might be my friends,or might be the general thing.

if you take a look at the uni's career website, vacancies and closing dates will be up,so if you're interested you can start applying.

about holidays it depends really,they know you're a student (and they should,tell them) so you can arrange something with them,maybe a transfer,or you can keep moving from one temp job to another, just depends on you really. if it's a crap job,then there's no point travelling all over the place. i worked until the 24th last xmas,then had to be back for the 31st of december then off again to my family for new year's. so depends really.

and remember once you get,read through the contract or whatever they're giving you before you sign,and always get a copy. :smile:
What kind of work were you doing for the uni? Was this through that agency you mentioned?
Reply 8
laney
What kind of work were you doing for the uni? Was this through that agency you mentioned?

well on the times i worked with them, mostly hospitality and advertising, so if they had conferences or events and they needed staff like at the east midlands conference centre, i'd help out,with a bunch of other people. and then just handing out flyers that sorta thing when needed. i remember last year the uni was advertising for library assistants etc.they always have stuff on the careers website,have a look.
Reply 9
January Victim
well on the times i worked with them, mostly hospitality and advertising, so if they had conferences or events and they needed staff like at the east midlands conference centre, i'd help out,with a bunch of other people. and then just handing out flyers that sorta thing when needed. i remember last year the uni was advertising for library assistants etc.they always have stuff on the careers website,have a look.

You can't do anything until you are in the university though, can you? Or is there some website where you go and tell the uni to sign you up for jobs when you arrive?
like i said, the uni has a careers website that you can search and if you find something you're interested in, call and email them your cv. the details will be there on the advert. to find the careers website, search on the notts homepage
Reply 11
You cant access the job page until you have a proper Nottingham password and username. So only current students have access.
oh yeh true i forgot :rolleyes:

actually,all they need is to register for the IT facilities,get their username and passwords and they can be off. they should be able to register by now if i'm not mistaken
A few of my friends had jobs in their first year (Sainsburys, local pubs etc)....but like people have already said, a lot of people choose to just work like crazy during the summer and then spend that during the year. My course (nursing) doesn't recommend getting a job I don't think because we have shift work 50% of the time...but Im not sure what the other courses say. But yeah, the money would definitely be useful, and theres loads and loads of shops in town, so if you've got the time and want to earn a bit of cash, I'm sure it's possible! :smile:
I suppose some students on other courses have a lot of spare time to work. Do you notice a shortage of jobs available in the town centre? eg office/admin/sales etc?
well when they're all staffed, there won't be any jobs advertised. sept-december is when you'll find jobs as that's when they need xmas temps which they tend to keep on for the rest of the year,then the next rush for jobs is summer time.
Reply 16
about this timetable thing..i can NOT for the life of me find mine
im doing Modern Language Studies (French and Spanish with eithe rportugese or russian) and seriously..eitehr im beinga spazz or its not up

im gonna try and settle in 1st and then start aplying for jobs etc..i dont want anything too hectic cos i wana settle in and enjoy myself :smile:
Timetable page

click and look for your module/course and the timetable will come up. :rolleyes:
Reply 18
when do we begin to receive things from the uni like reading lists and accommodation info etc
you should receive it with your acceptance letter if i'm correct.which should be between mid august and early september,if you haven't received anything by mid next week,give them a ring.but it might just be your postman.

Latest

Trending

Trending