The Student Room Group

My GCSE Journey

:kungfu:MY GCSE JOURNEY:kungfu:

Hi! I'm Disconnectable and I'm a 14 year old girl in Y10. Most people I know, including my past self, would be in shock at the mere fact that someone could think of revising so early on but I'm trying to be organised. That being said, I'm not going to hardcore study until Y11 but a headstart wouldn't hurt... :biggrin:

My GCSE Options:
Maths- AQA (Predicted grade: 9)
English Language- OCR (Predicted grade: 9)
English Literature- OCR (Predicted grade: 9)
Computing- OCR (Predicted grade: 9)
Latin- OCR (Predicted grade: 9)
Russian- Edexcel (Predicted grade: A*)
Geography- AQA (Predicted grade: 9)
Biology- AQA (Predicted grade: 9)
Chemistry- AQA (Predicted grade: 9)
Physics- AQA (Predicted grade: 9)

Some people may think that these aren't really achievable and I have doubted these predictions multiple times but I'm going to at least try!

Now let's have a flashback through my academic life *insert distortion and harp music*:
In primary school I always did found the work alright except I was too lazy to do my homework and so, for a while, I lagged behind. My participation in class was extremely bad as I was very shy but once I was in Y6, I managed to put this all behind me.

SATS Results:
English Reading- 5A
English Writing- 6
Maths- 6A

Then when I moved to high school everything changed. I wasn't one of the 'smart ones', I became too shy to participate again and my grades have fallen as the years pass and work becomes harder. I want this to change and hopefully my little blogging thread here will help. :^_^:

An brief introduction to me as a person:
I like sports, computer/video games and I play the piano, flute and want to learn how to play the guitar. How I come across usually varies completely depending on the setting: I'm generally quiet in lessons, relaxed at home, hyper when with my friends, talkative online etc.

Finally, thanks for reading this introduction. Feel free to comment constructive criticism or advice or join in if you want! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Wow those are amazing predicted grades, good luck! :h:
Good luck! What's your favourite subject?
Reply 3
Original post by UWS
Wow those are amazing predicted grades, good luck! :h:

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Fox Corner
Good luck! What's your favourite subject?

Thanks! My favourite subject is either maths or Latin but I also like computing. :h:
Reply 5
Revision Resources:

Sciences:

CGP AQA revision guides with question booklets for chemistry and physics

Official AQA textbooks

BBC Bitesize

Computing:

cambridgegcsecomputing.org

OCR computer science student book

BBC Bitesize

Geography:

CGP AQA revision guide

Official AQA textbook

BBC Bitesize

English Literature:

CGP OCR revision guide

An Inspector Calls

Pride and Prejudice

Romeo and Juliet

Mr Bruff

BBC Bitesize

English Language:

CGP OCR revision guide

Mr Bruff

BBC Bitesize

Maths:

CGP AQA revision guide

Official AQA textbook

STP maths textbook

BBC Bitesize

Russian:

Na Start course booklets

Latin:

CLC textbooks

Please make sure to suggest any other good resources so that I can add them to this list! :smile:
Note: This post will be updated with pictures as soon as my revision guides are delivered.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Do they now rate GCSEs on numbers? not A* A B C D F?
Reply 7
Original post by PATD123
Do they now rate GCSEs on numbers? not A* A B C D F?

They're currently changing the grading system so by 2018 most GCSEs will be marked from 9-1 with 9 being equivalent to A** (given to the top 'slice' of those who get an 8), 8 being A* and 7 being A. :biggrin:
Reply 8
is computing difficult?
Reply 9
Original post by JapanNet
is computing difficult?

It depends on the person doing it but I think it's relatively easy although there's a lot on the specification. One thing I can tell you is that it's way harder than ICT (I hate it when people compare the two because computing is about coding and how a computer is physically made and ICT is about making spreadsheets etc). :cute:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending