The Student Room Group

I want to do AS maths, is it too late?

I want to do AS maths at a different centre but still do my regular A levels, for GCSE I got mid B and i know its november but i wanted to do it, is it too late?
No it isn't. I started learning AS maths in February of year 12, as I decided I wanted to study economics at university and at a lot of places maths was required/preferred. I had a tutor for one hour per week from April however it is probably still doable without. Maths is luckily a subject where it is quite easy to test yourself to see what level you are at, compared to essay subjects etc where it is more subjective. Hope this helps and good luck. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by will_jg
No it isn't. I started learning AS maths in February of year 12, as I decided I wanted to study economics at university and at a lot of places maths was required/preferred. I had a tutor for one hour per week from April however it is probably still doable without. Maths is luckily a subject where it is quite easy to test yourself to see what level you are at, compared to essay subjects etc where it is more subjective. Hope this helps and good luck. :smile:

what did you get for your A level maths?
Original post by EGuy16
what did you get for your A level maths?

I got an A at AS and a B at A2.
Reply 4
Original post by will_jg
I got an A at AS and a B at A2.

oh okay and for GCSE math?
Reply 5
Original post by EGuy16
I want to do AS maths at a different centre but still do my regular A levels, for GCSE I got mid B and i know its november but i wanted to do it, is it too late?

No, it is not too late yet as Core 1 is only a recap of GCSE stuff but you would need to practice as it does go onto A*/A GCSE topics which could be a bit of work considering the B. You also do S1 or M1. I find S1 to be quite tricky but if you did GCSE Statistics and did the higher paper it will be quite easy. S1 is still quite doable able even if you start the course in November as it starts off with quite basic stats and then does get a bit tricky further on but if you practice questions and put the effort in still quite doable. Overall I personally feel it's not too late to pick up AS Maths.
Original post by EGuy16

Why do you want to do it? If you are really serious and put a proper plan together with appropriate help in place then it's not too late to catch up. BUT the effort required WILL detract from your other subjects and your B at GCSE is a concern. Why did you only get a B? If you worked hard for it, do you have the aptitude for A level maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EGuy16

It isn't late but take into consideration you will have to catch up for the amount of work. In addition, you only got a B at GCSE and AS Maths usually starts of with A/A* GCSE questions so you might struggle. Schools usually say you should have an A in Maths for A-Level Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest