The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Internet in Halls (Hornet)

For people that have lived in the halls at Manchester before:

What stuff can/can't you do on the net?

For example, can you access the iTunes music store? Can you use Bit Torrent? Can you play online games?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, no, yes. Atm you can use 4oD and iplayer, but this situation might change. Joost is not allowed, but I don't think they physically block it.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Ana - I've heard it from some that UCAS has sent them a letter about freeview being offered over the ethernet links in halls at Manchester, although I've not had that letter myself.
Reply 3
Yeah I got that letter too. You get about 10-20 channels free I think. :smile:
Reply 5
:eek:

I have no idea about any of that, I'll be very interested in keeping an eye on that :p: I can't see that it will necessarilly be to do with Hornet... we'll see.
Reply 6
You do, however, have to own a TV license to watch it. £155.50 per year, or £33 a quarter, or £11.25 a month.
Reply 7
I don't see the point, I haven't had a last TV for the last 2/3 years, I mean, why should I pay that much, just to get all my favorite shows 4 months later than when they show in America?

Now I need to find another way to download my TV shows :frown:
Reply 8
Actually, worryingly they've added a sentence to say that they discourage use of 4oD and such - http://wordpress.stars.manchester.ac.uk/hornet/safety/peer-to-peer-video/

This is what they said to me a few months ago after I moaned at them for sending out an email about P2P which implied it was all to do with illegal file sharing (they then went on to send me 50+ copies of the same email overnight... think that was just a glitch though :p:)

Thanks for getting in touch. Peer to peer technology has always been
popular. The changes that have been observed are related to the trends in
use. These differ over time and are directly related to various
technological advances that have made it increasingly easier for people to
share photos, music and now video over the Internet. There are plenty of
traditional ways of doing this that have great results and don't get people
into trouble, like Flickr for sharing photographs.

The downside of P2P has always been that many people, often those
unaccustomed to western culture, have a lax attitude to copyright law. This
has led to many P2P technologies being used to disseminate material
illegally, which is a shame because in theory it has some very good uses.
Due to this British Academic Institutions have always worked closely with
UKERNA (the people who provide the Universities connection to the Internet)
to make sure that acceptable usage is maintained. At Manchester, Hornet is
the customer facing side of this.

Please let me clarify a few things for you. In regards to Skype, UKERNA have
worked very closely with US Universities to manage how Skype networks
function. As a result Skype supernodes are banned on campus, which means
that we can still allow Skype to be used for phone calls despite that fact
it runs on a peer to peer framework. This does make its use significantly
different to peer to peer filesharing in terms of the content being
transmitted and how it is regulated. There are no plans to block Skype at
present.

The 4oD, Sky by Broadband and soon to arrive BBC on Demand services as you
point out, use Kontiki. Some Universities have already banned this. We are
monitoring the current levels of network use being generated by this and are
discussing what the future of the currently open policy will be for Hornet
2008 (i.e. September onwards).

At present a small number of users (<1%) are causing disruption on the
network through the use (and attempted use) of P2P systems. Many Hornet
users have complained that this has made the network extremely slow. This is
preventing the majority of users from using the system for legitimate
purposes and this is unacceptable.
Reply 9
All P2P applications, even if they are legal are looked down upon from administration, mainly because it soaks up rather a lot of bandwidth. It's really just a matter of getting caught or not. If you're found downloading 'copyright' material it is a 56 day disconnection and £70 reconnection fee.

Also this year, just confirming, we are offering IPTV, in other freeview over ethernet. More details will be released when you sign up in September!

Lol Ana. People were getting hundreds of that same email whilst others didn't even get it once! It was in fact a glitch though as the email was sent using an old system causing nothing but grief!

A small piece of advice regarding "downloading" of your favorite TV shows. Stage 6 (http://stage6.divx.com) is fantastic. There are no limits on the upload of movies so you can get hold of really good quality TV, PLUS you can stream the video or download it over the net, instead of using P2P. Downloaded the entire season of Heros in 45 minutes on a HoRNet connection, beautiful!
Reply 10
Stage 6 looks interesting! Just dling the OSX plugin now!

How long will I have to wait after a show has aired to watch it?
Reply 11
Xopa
Lol Ana. People were getting hundreds of that same email whilst others didn't even get it once! It was in fact a glitch though as the email was sent using an old system causing nothing but grief!

Please tell me you're no longer using it... I was online for some of that time, and having so many copies arriving was really pissing me off :colone:

Might be going back into halls again next year, not being able to use 4oD will be bearable if they're still offering tv-over-ethernet in 2009. Otherwise I might get very bored :p:
Reply 12
Lol, well....now and then. We're slowly moving onto new stuff but the underlining legacy software still prevails lol. At least you got the email, even if it was a few too many :p:

We were testing it (IPTV) all year last year and it was pretty good!
Reply 13
stage6 is the way forward. check my profile for a site which links to all movies/tv shows hosted at places like stage6.
Anannya
Yeah I got that letter too. You get about 10-20 channels free I think. :smile:

By the internet in the halls? Cool! :biggrin:
Reply 15
In my halls last year we couldnt use BitTorrents. Everything else seemed fine (40D, T.V websites, games etc etc)
Reply 16
Ports can be easily changed or manipulated. Most Unis block ports resulting in not only P2P being blocked, but other things like games which don't need to be. HoRNet (UoM ISP) however don't port block, but instead use a little more advanced piece of technology to restrict P2P and certain other activities without restricting other things in the process.
Reply 17
Xopa
Ports can be easily changed or manipulated. Most Unis block ports resulting in not only P2P being blocked, but other things like games which don't need to be. HoRNet (UoM ISP) however don't port block, but instead use a little more advanced piece of technology to restrict P2P and certain other activities without restricting other things in the process.

Do you mean traffic shaping or similar? And when they say the access points are 10mbit (and upgrading to 100mbit) what kind of speeds would actually be possible through them up and down?
Heya, what would the case be about using programs like SopCast to stream football matches etc?
Allowed or not?
If it is allowed, how fast are most connections and would I get a decent stream with it?
Reply 19
Hi, i'll be staying in owens park tower :frown: and was wondering whether i'll have internet (or a washbasin if you know?) and if i have the internet, whether i'll be able to use xBox live?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending