The Student Room Group

PurpleFireQueen's guide to not failing at A-Levels!

Hello and welcome to my GYG 2017 entry! I'm PurpleFireQueen, a year 13 student hoping to kick my butt into gear this year in preparation for university next year, and hope this will be a great help! Before I get into my exams and all that, I just thought I'd mention that all my exams/qualifications etc are under WJEC, which can get very annoying as it's hard to find good revision stuffs (other than my own notes) since not a lot of it is out there for WJEC.

NOTE: This post has been re-written since it was first posted.

AS levels:

Spoiler

A levels:
This year I'm studying Physics, Maths, Economics and the Welsh Baccalaureate as a fourth A level. (Yes, I'm from Wales!) I'm told that the Welsh Bac is similar to the EPQ, for those who don't know what it is. (Not even us studying it really know.)
I'm re-sitting C1 (Thanks Chittesh 14!), C2 and PH1 this year, so I have 10 exams this year.

University!:
(My predicted grades were AAA.)
These are the offers I've received from the universities I applied to:

Spoiler

I was so over the moon to finally get my offer from Southampton. After the visit day I fell even more in love with the place and I can really see myself being at home there.

Exam timetable:
My exam timetable will be posted here once I am 100% sure of my exams.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good luck, a very interesting background and blog. I look forward to reading it.
In terms of Maths, you can ask me for help anytime :smile: and just a piece of advice - retake C1 and C2. There is no way you will get lower than 90 in C1 if you get As in C3 and C4, I promise you that. In total, what maths modules are you taking across the entire A-level?
Original post by Chittesh14
Good luck, a very interesting background and blog. I look forward to reading it.
In terms of Maths, you can ask me for help anytime :smile: and just a piece of advice - retake C1 and C2. There is no way you will get lower than 90 in C1 if you get As in C3 and C4, I promise you that. In total, what maths modules are you taking across the entire A-level?

Thanks a bunch! I might have to take you up on that offer at some point haha!

In regards to getting A's in C3 and C4...I can hope but honestly even this far into the year it looks bleak. I managed a C in C1 (and a C also in M1, which I was tempted to retake as I think it's the easier of the three) which was about 60 something I think? I definitely found C1 to be the easier of the two and was tempted to resit that as well. I haven't firmed which I'm resitting so which I do resit could be easily changed - I just don't want too much pressure along with this year's exams too.

As for the whole A-level, i did C1, C2 and M1 for AS, and I'm doing C3, C4 and S1 this year. I wish I could do M2 instead to be honest.
Original post by PurpleFireQueen

In regards to getting A's in C3 and C4...I can hope but honestly even this far into the year it looks bleak. I managed a C in C1 (and a C also in M1, which I was tempted to retake as I think it's the easier of the three) which was about 60 something I think? I definitely found C1 to be the easier of the two and was tempted to resit that as well. I haven't firmed which I'm resitting so which I do resit could be easily changed - I just don't want too much pressure along with this year's exams too.

As for the whole A-level, i did C1, C2 and M1 for AS, and I'm doing C3, C4 and S1 this year. I wish I could do M2 instead to be honest.

Remember to study the exam questions, they are ALWAYS the same in a new way. Practise and practise... of EXAM questions of all
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/

Information is needed to know how to do, but exam questions are structured at a certain way, hope this helps.
-This is for A-Level Maths only-
Original post by ckfeister
Remember to study the exam questions, they are ALWAYS the same in a new way. Practise and practise... of EXAM questions of all
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/

Information is needed to know how to do, but exam questions are structured at a certain way, hope this helps.
-This is for A-Level Maths only-

This looks great - my only worry is that because I'm under WJEC the papers will be different. I'm aware that a lot of the course overlaps, but it's always good to be careful. Either way, thank you, the link looks like it will come in handy!

No problem :smile:.

Where are you in C3 so far, or wherever you are on whichever module? If you practice, you can do anything. If you keep blabbering on about C in C1 etc (might be brutal/harsh, but it's the truth) then you should assume you'd get an E in C3/C4. You just can't keep reflecting on your past. Seriously, if you're willing to change and say no, I can improve in C1 and all, then you can get As in C1/C2/M1 (if u wish to retake) and aim for high grades in C3/C4. As I said, As in C1 and C2 do not mean you will get As in C3 and C4, but As in C3 and C4 will 100% mean As in C1 and C2 (at least they should) lol unless you've focused too much on C3 and C4 and not on C2, (C1 is just piss easy lol).
That's good, don't worry M2 is probably harder lol but it's obviously better if you like Mechanics which I suppose you do :O.

Anyway, in my opinion - retake C1 and C2 definitely. Work on C2 and reinforce your knowledge, it's so crucial for C3 and same applies for C4. C1 just recap it, I'll help you on any question :smile: you just need to know the last 3 chapters because they're the hardest, I just hope you know the rest lol.

P.S. Everything is hard in life, or boring eventually if it's easy - you've just got to make it fun.
(edited 7 years ago)
No problem :smile:.

Where are you in C3 so far, or wherever you are on whichever module? If you practice, you can do anything. If you keep blabbering on about C in C1 etc (might be brutal/harsh, but it's the truth) then you should assume you'd get an E in C3/C4. You just can't keep reflecting on your past. Seriously, if you're willing to change and say no, I can improve in C1 and all, then you can get As in C1/C2/M1 (if u wish to retake) and aim for high grades in C3/C4. As I said, As in C1 and C2 do not mean you will get As in C3 and C4, but As in C3 and C4 will 100% mean As in C1 and C2 (at least they should) lol unless you've focused too much on C3 and C4 and not on C2, (C1 is just piss easy lol).
That's good, don't worry M2 is probably harder lol but it's obviously better if you like Mechanics which I suppose you do :O.

Anyway, in my opinion - retake C1 and C2 definitely. Work on C2 and reinforce your knowledge, it's so crucial for C3 and same applies for C4. C1 just recap it, I'll help you on any question :smile: you just need to know the last 3 chapters because they're the hardest, I just hope you know the rest lol.

P.S. Everything is hard in life, or boring eventually if it's easy - you've just got to make it fun.

Firstly, thanks for the great advice! Secondly, as much as I complain, I really do love maths, no matter how much it may not seem like it, and I am prepared to do better this year, as I know I etc etc, as everyone says :tongue: As you suggested, I will more than likely resit both C1 and C2.

I don't know if I prefer Mechanics, but it just seems more...interesting? and applicable/understandable as compared to stats, which to me just feels like a bunch of fractions/decimals :tongue: Ah well, what can you do.

As for C3, I've done Simpson's rule and integration, as well as all but implicit and parametric differentiation (I think that's the english for them xD)
Firstly, thanks for the great advice! Secondly, as much as I complain, I really do love maths, no matter how much it may not seem like it, and I am prepared to do better this year, as I know I etc etc, as everyone says :tongue: As you suggested, I will more than likely resit both C1 and C2.

I don't know if I prefer Mechanics, but it just seems more...interesting? and applicable/understandable as compared to stats, which to me just feels like a bunch of fractions/decimals :tongue: Ah well, what can you do.

As for C3, I've done Simpson's rule and integration, as well as all but implicit and parametric differentiation (I think that's the english for them xD)

No problem :smile:. Just keep working hard and you'll do well.
I just realised you're not doing Edexcel A-level Maths :'( but yeah, just keep working hard and it'll all be fine. Watch examsolutions, ask help on TSR etc - for C3 and C4 they're all geniuses literally!
No problem :smile:. Just keep working hard and you'll do well.
I just realised you're not doing Edexcel A-level Maths :'( but yeah, just keep working hard and it'll all be fine. Watch examsolutions, ask help on TSR etc - for C3 and C4 they're all geniuses literally!

Yeah :frown: I'm doing WJEC for all my exams (good ol' Wales - not.) And I shall, thank you so much!
Yeah :frown: I'm doing WJEC for all my exams (good ol' Wales - not.) And I shall, thank you so much!

Haha, oh right dam :biggrin:. Regardless, the topics are mostly the same so it's not that bad.
07/11/16

I've not been doing much actual school work and thus there's not much to update. I finished my maths homework for today (21 past paper questions on differentiation. 21. I feel like I could do it in my sleep, but I guess that's the point of practicing.) and was given a few questions to do by tomorrow. I also have a handful of questions for my other teacher due tomorrow. As well as this, I've not got economics tomorrow which means I'll have time to look at some Target 2.0 stuff if I'm not working on my PS. I've also arranged to go to a visit day in Bristol in a week or so, which will be great (if I remember to book my train tickets!) even if it's only the second university I'm going to see. I'd like to go down and visit Southampton again as well, so I'll see if I can go visit again some time soon.

I spoke to my maths teacher about changing what I'm resitting and he was happy for me to, but again urged that he's not putting us in for resits until around February, where we apparently will be well into C4 - although if my maths department's timing skills last year are anything to go by, I doubt that very much. Still, nice to have some kind of 'approval', I guess.

Tonight I'm planning on working on my Bac essay. I said I'd have it in by the end of the week and I'm on 1900 words at the moment. I have quite a bit to finish off this week, and provided I don't have too much work due in the week after, I'm planning on doing all the integration past paper questions.

Current major deadlines:

Bac essay - 10-11/11

Personal statement - 10/11

Stats test 17/11

Homework:

Trig CAST sheet - Tuesday 8/11

'Ymhlig' (Implicit?) questions - Tuesday 8/11

Stats sheet - Thursday 10/11

Other important thingys:

Notes for C1, C2, and PH1

Notes for the units I've done so far this year in all my subjects - I need to get on this once I'm a bit less busy so that they don't pile up and I end up with them all to do over Christmas

*subscibed* :smile:

I'm in year 12 atm and took Chem, Geog and Economics. Got any tips that would help me a lot? Like would extra reading really help with my exams/ can I apply it to my exams or is it more just for general understanding?
How was the welsh bacc too? I'm going to start the EPQ at the start of the new year but I'm going in a little blind tbh :confused: Did you experience any troubles along the way?
Original post by SilverWater
*subscibed* :smile:

I'm in year 12 atm and took Chem, Geog and Economics. Got any tips that would help me a lot? Like would extra reading really help with my exams/ can I apply it to my exams or is it more just for general understanding?
How was the welsh bacc too? I'm going to start the EPQ at the start of the new year but I'm going in a little blind tbh :confused: Did you experience any troubles along the way?

Welcome! :biggrin:

For chem, just practice papers/questions really. Economics wise, it depends on your course/exam board, but practice the longer essay questions as these are where you're more likely to lose more marks overall. Extra reading in the way of reading ahead of what you're gonna study (asking what topics come next and getting an idea before the lesson, provided you aren't too busy can be a great help in understanding!) is great, and if you plan to study any of the topics at uni you can talk about further reading, but other than that, extra reading and it's benefits are debatable.

Welsh Bac is okay, and I've had no troubles with it really, it isn't hard so to speak, as much as slightly annoying and just strange overall. I've no idea what the EPQ is like though. Good luck though! :biggrin:
8/11/16

This update is a bit late (just after midnight 9/11) but oh well.

As I was packing up to leave physics I reminded me teacher that I wasn't going to be here next Wednesday. I went to leave and he stopped me, and told me he'd changed his mind about my predicted grade! He said "It means that you look better in front of the universities that you're applying to, and even though you have a low chance of getting this grade (A) compared to the one I originally predicted you (B) there's still a chance." I was amazed! I just have to keep working hard to get to that point. I'm hoping to go and speak to my maths teacher tomorrow about my predicted grade in that too, as he asked me to come back after a few weeks so he can see how I'm doing so far this year. It was a nice piece of a good news that I needed today.

Next week we start the last kind of differentiation (parametric) and then iteration after that, which I need to research before the lesson. In my other maths lesson we're finishing off the CAST diagram and stuff like that on Tuesday. My stats test is also next week, which will be nice for me to see how I've understood the first unit - we also have a revision lesson this Thursday.

I've also just remembered that I have physics homework for tomorrow morning first thing...great. I forgot when I got home and was out tonight, as I am every Tuesday in St John's. It's only sketching a graph, so I'll be fine. I'm not quite sure what we're doing in economics tomorrow, as my lesson today was canceled.

I've not done any work on my Bac essay yet, as I felt like utter, utter garbage yesterday (7/11). This does mean I'm a bit behind, but I know I can still hand in my draft as well as my PS by the end of the week. I'll be working on my PS tomorrow in my 3 hour gap between lessons. I've also re-discovered my love for the French language and music, such as Indila and Stromae, which I really recommend!
10/11/16

Great success! Maths moved my grade up after a good little chat which was great. I've still yet to finish my essay or personal statement as I've just been feeling utter garbage these last few days, as well as people being, well, people. Disagreements happen I guess. I'm excited for next week, and I'll get these two things done over the weekend at most - but at this rate I could finish my PS draft during school tomorrow, which is good.

Stats revision lesson went well today. I'm actually kinda confident going into this test (knowing I have some more revision to do before then), which is a rare yet rewarding feeling. I could get used to it, if I'm honest.

Important note:

I will be updating late Wednesday (16/11) since I'm off to Bristol that day, and I'll be talking all about my trip etc. Friday (18/11), most of Saturday (19/11) and the beginning of Sunday (20/11) I will also be away so I won't be updating then either. I'll probably repeat this in later posts but I thought I'd add it lest I forget then.

It's a week tomorrow till I get to take one of my close friends to panic! at the disco and I'm so excited. It's gonna be a great evening (18/11). As well as this, the night after it's my best friend's 18th birthday party (19/11), and we're getting together like old times, which is exciting.

Are any of you looking forward to anything nice? I'm booking more concerts for next year already and I'm in the middle of applying to for my provisional, as well as looking to complete both of my tests before my exams next year, which is exciting.
14/11/16

I sent the first draft of my personal statement on Friday, and my adviser cornered me today and said she'd email it back with corrections some point late tonight, huzzah! I've yet to finish my Bac essay...I have 0 motivation to finish. That aside, everything else is going well.

It's busy busy busy time! I'm excited for my Bristol visit Wednesday, and I'm actually looking forward to my stats test....I want to do well to show I'm back on track this year. Also, I actually feel half prepared, which is new to me, it's a feeling I could get used to haha! I'm planning on posting tomorrow, Wednesday and Thursday to make up for a lack of posts Friday, Saturday and most likely Sunday. I also need to finish my essay and a few other bits by Thursday as well as revise for stats.

I got my photos for my provisional done today, I look a mess xD I need them to be signed and I'll hopefully be sending them back tomorrow, which is exciting. Parametric diff. seems alright so far, we're doing second derivative tomorrow. I'm not sure what we're doing in my other maths lesson though, which isn't great...I also have to remember to remind phys. and econ. that I'm not in Wed.

Mid writing this, my advisor has just emailed me, so I guess it's PS correcting for me for the rest of the night. Fun times!
22/11/16

Sorry I've not been updating, this last week or so has been a real mess - Bristol visit, P!ATD concert, friend's 18th, etc. I just wanted to issue a quick update to say that I'll be back on schedule tomorrow!

Also, the Target 2.0 regionals were today - we didn't even get runner up. but it was still a fun day! Food was decent too. Back into school fully tomorrow, can't wait.
(edited 7 years ago)
28/11/16

This is a bit of an earlier post since I'm in school this morning, but since I have a few hours before my only lesson today, I thought I'd make an update. Today I need to finish my PS draft 2, do some maths reading, physics homework, and start on an economics essay I found out about today since I wasn't in school second half of Thursday or Friday due to being ill.
(edited 7 years ago)
30/11/16

I keep forgetting how much work I actually have to do. It's annoying and I've really not got much done recently.

Current homework:

Economics essay

Economics essay plan (different essay :tongue:)

BAC essay, still :/

All BAC work from last year to be submitted (already done and ready to file! :biggrin:)

I also need to find a 5th university and to confirm my choices, as well as do a third draft of my personal statement, as my tutor wants it sent off by Monday morning.
8/2/17 - A

Hello all! I'm well aware that I haven't updated this in a looooooong time. School, family and friend things as well as others got a bit much and I forgot about this. Now it's Feburary and getting close to exam time, I'll be updating this often, including a proper post later today. For now, I'm going to edit my opening post to reflect the point I'm currently at on my journey to university.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending