The Student Room Group

Will I Be Forced to Accept this Result?

I have taken this post from here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=439461

There seems to be some confusion if it is my prerogative, to select what grades I want UCAS to see and as this is really a UCAS matter I thought it would be OK to post it here. Do I get to decide what results to show UCAS? Will my referee send my current set of grades off to my chosen university?

There doesn’t seem to be an answer forthcoming about totally wiping the grade from my record. Am I to assume it can’t be done? Either way a trip to the careers adviser is my first port of call, when I go back to collage.

ORIGINAL POST

I need some serious advice.

Last year (Summer 2006) I did AS Economics, I hated the subject and after Christmas didn’t really bother turning up for the lessons. I thought I might scrape a C but ended up with a U.

The problem is that, because my grades are so low, I thought that they would automatically remove the U result from my slip. But now a year on I have got my Economics U back with the rest of my qualifications.

There isn’t any hope for me to re-sit. Ideally I would like to totally get rid of that qualification. How can I go about this?

My individual module marks are below:
EC1 51/90 D
EC2 22/90 U
EC3 29/120 U
WJEC Economics Overall: 102/300 U

Surely they can’t force me to keep it? Can I write to the exam body to decline the grade? Or another way?

Thanks for reading the long post. Hope you can help me.

Mike
Reply 1
You could in theory have uncashed it for free

I think now that either you will have to pay a fee to do that or might possibly not be able to do it at all but I'm not sure about that - check with WJEC
Reply 2
they still write it but it won't be on your official certificates coz it is really Unclassified
Reply 3
You MUST tell UCAS of all the grades that you havent declined, because the universities WILL find out in the end!! The only way you can stop this is by declining the entire subject and either re-sitting all the modules again, or leaving it entirely as though you didnt even do the subject. This, however, needs to be done quickly after results (i think..) & i'm not entirely sure if anything can be done about it if you miss the deadline to decline. Ring/talk to one of your teachers!!
Reply 4
Hang on. He's failed the subject. He won't get a certificate for it, as he doesn't have the qualification. My understanding is that you only have to put down qualifications for which you have or expect to get certificates. Therefore he should be able to just simply leave it out. The point about declining grades only applies if you would otherwise claim the qualification but you want to resit modules to get a higher mark. The OP isn't exactly going to bother with that, is he? :smile:
Reply 5
kw2005
Hang on. He's failed the subject. He won't get a certificate for it, as he doesn't have the qualification.

That makes sense. Do the referees send candidate numbers to universities? Can universities check UMS and individual module grades? This seems all very confusing.

The next thing is I better check my A-Level certificates. Where do you even get those from? Your School? The exam board?

kw2005
The OP isn't exactly going to bother with that, is he? :smile:

What’s the OP?
Reply 6
Micky666
That makes sense. Do the referees send candidate numbers to universities? Can universities check UMS and individual module grades? This seems all very confusing.

The next thing is I better check my A-Level certificates. Where do you even get those from? Your School? The exam board?

What’s the OP?
OP = original poster - ie the person who started the thread.

I'm not clear whether you have an application in the system at the moment or not. If not, then all unis will have is what you tell them on your application for 2008 entry and the results (in due course ) of any exams/resits you might plan to take next year. PQ is the expert on this, but if I have understood it correctly if you apply post A2 results then all that happens is that when you turn up to enrol you will be asked to produce your certificates. If there are any discrepancies between what you put in your application and what's on the certificates you will be asked questions and could have your place cancelled. But your certificates can't - and won't - show a qualification you didn't get!

If you do have an application in the system then I would assume that the uni will have ignored the result (if they got it at all since it's last year's) unless you put it on your UCAS form as a pending qualification AND it formed part of your offer.

The certificates go from the Exam Board to your school/college and get handed over to you at some point.

As far as I can tell, Referees don't send anything anywhere. Results are forwarded from the Exam Boards to the unis via UCAS; the school or college has nothing to do with it. If the exams being taken aren't covered by the automatic transfer, it seems to be the responsibility of the student to make sure the results get to the uni.
Reply 7
Sorry I should have made myself clearer. I am going to send in my application for 2008 entry. Basically my history of further education goes something like this; I came out of school with relatively good GCSE results (For the school I went to anyway) 3A, 4B and 3C.

Then I left school for collage; taking Law, Economics and Business. I found out that I hated the subjects I choose (There was a massive dropout rate for Law and Economics and I found that after a while I was the only student in my class still going). After Christmas (December 2005) I basically gave up. But I managed to get pass grade in Business Studies (C).

Then September 2006 I decided to try harder. I went to a different collage, I choose Sociology, Psychology and English Literature. Unfortunately once again terrible bad luck and my teacher dropped (Due to a breakdown) one month into the new term. The standard of education was naturally terrible and the collage couldn’t get someday to regularly cover us – everybody dropped out. And so did I.

I managed to work hard on my remaining two subjects and two days ago I managed to pick up a B in English Lit and a B in Psychology (Four marks off an A).

And that’s where I am now basically. I am going to continue English and Psychology and take on Sociology (In another different collage) I am going to do the full A-Level in one year.

Hopefully by 2008 I will have:
A2 English B
A2 Psychology A
A2 Sociology B/A
AS Business Studies C

Christ knows what I am going to write on my personal statement. Or what I am going to say if I get called for a interview.
Reply 8
Its a U, ungraded, its not a qualification so there is no need to declare it.
Reply 9
In that case, there is no need to declare the economics at all. You should ask your referee to mention your difficult time at college (this is much better coming from him/her, so would suggest that you don't mention it yourself in your PS) as your achievements in this context are very good. What you do write in your personal statement is (a) why you want to do the course you have chosen, and (b) that you have learnt perseverance and have demonstrated determination to tackle and surmount obstacles! What course did you have in mind and which unis?
Reply 10
I’m not really sure about the uni. I am ordering prospectuses like crazy at the moment; the postman must hate me lol. I was looking for philosophy, politics or history. Ideally I want one unis that will defiantly take me, then one or two that will take me if I get my predicted grades.

kw2005
You should ask your referee to mention your difficult time at college

How would I go about that though? I assume that I will need to give universities a reason why I hardly achieved anything in the first year of A-Levels and Sociology in my second year, but also I don’t want to be seen as a ‘Special Case’, if you know what I mean. I don’t want to be seen to be making excuses and blaming everyone else.
Reply 11
No that's right, but it is reasonable to expect your achievements to be looked at in context, and that's what your referee ought to be able to provide. If I were writing it, I'd put something like "I have been impressed by how X has persevered with his studies over the last three years, given ... brief outline of the problems..."

I would suggest, for those subjects, looking at places like Lancaster, Queen Mary London, Essex, Southampton, Royal Holloway. You might like to ring a couple of admissions tutors (not now! but later in September) and sound them out. These unis can be much more welcoming and interested in you as an individual than you might suppose.

Latest

Trending

Trending