The Student Room Group

Biology A-level

Has anyone picked biology a level, if so, what do you think of it? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

I'm really enjoying it actually. Some parts are hard but I'm just trying to learn as much as possible as I go along. My teacher is amazing too which helps
I really like it, and I thought it was one of the boring subjects at GCSE but at A-Level it gets very interesting because it gets explored in depth. I would really recommend it, even if you aren't doing other sciences.
Reply 3
Original post by Charlotte458
I'm really enjoying it actually. Some parts are hard but I'm just trying to learn as much as possible as I go along. My teacher is amazing too which helps

Thanks for replying :smile: What other A levels have you picked? I'm currently in Y11 and have to give my application for college soon, so any more information would be helpful :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ew_its_nicola
I really like it, and I thought it was one of the boring subjects at GCSE but at A-Level it gets very interesting because it gets explored in depth. I would really recommend it, even if you aren't doing other sciences.

Thanks for replying :smile: I am considering it, but I was put off slightly due to what I've heard about the work load, so I am a little sceptical if I can cope with it all.:frown:
What other A levels have you picked? I am thinking of doing A level Spanish, Psychology and Biology. :smile:
Reply 5
I'm in A2 and I absolutely love it!! My favourite subject by far (and it shows as I'm predicted an A*)
Reply 6
I would like to know aswell, I want to take Biology, Chemistry and Physics as my 3 A Levels because i'm only interested in Science, However people are saying that it will be to difficult, at GCSE i am an A/A* Student and want to know if this is a good idea or if i should just take Biology, Chemistry and something like History - which i also enjoy; when i'm older i want to get into a science related field like Biomedical science, healthcare or (preferably) medicine.
Reply 7
Original post by AfcFob
I'm in A2 and I absolutely love it!! My favourite subject by far (and it shows as I'm predicted an A*)

Well done for your predicted grade! It's amazing! :h:
Reply 8
Original post by Waqar_
I would like to know aswell, I want to take Biology, Chemistry and Physics as my 3 A Levels because i'm only interested in Science, However people are saying that it will be to difficult, at GCSE i am an A/A* Student and want to know if this is a good idea or if i should just take Biology, Chemistry and something like History - which i also enjoy; when i'm older i want to get into a science related field like Biomedical science, healthcare or (preferably) medicine.

I study BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science and I did Biology, Chemistry and Geography at A Level. :smile:
Original post by sara_s01
Thanks for replying :smile: I am considering it, but I was put off slightly due to what I've heard about the work load, so I am a little sceptical if I can cope with it all.:frown:
What other A levels have you picked? I am thinking of doing A level Spanish, Psychology and Biology. :smile:

I do Psychology, Biology, Geography and French, so I'm quite similar lol. If you're going to do Biology it would be best to take Chemistry as well, since both subjects are heavily connected and it will make some topics easier, and also Biology on its own isn't useful for many subjects. The workload is shocking at first, but it gets manageable over time, so don't worry. Psychology is interesting, one my favourite subjects, and it's quite straightforward and simple as well. Languages have a huge step up, bigger than Biology because you need to basically be fluent. Right now we need to know all the tenses and grammar, and be able to write 2-page essays, but it's nice to do something different.
Reply 10
Original post by AshEntropy
I study BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science and I did Biology, Chemistry and Geography at A Level. :smile:

Nice, how are you liking the science? Is the workload too much or is it manageable with enough revision or dedication :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by ew_its_nicola
I do Psychology, Biology, Geography and French, so I'm quite similar lol. If you're going to do Biology it would be best to take Chemistry as well, since both subjects are heavily connected and it will make some topics easier, and also Biology on its own isn't useful for many subjects. The workload is shocking at first, but it gets manageable over time, so don't worry. Psychology is interesting, one my favourite subjects, and it's quite straightforward and simple as well. Languages have a huge step up, bigger than Biology because you need to basically be fluent. Right now we need to know all the tenses and grammar, and be able to write 2-page essays, but it's nice to do something different.

I highly HIGHLY recommend that you only take Chemistry if you thoroughly enjoy Chemistry as a whole, not just the Biochemistry side of Chemistry.
A lot of A Level Chemistry is not Biochemistry and you need to be interested in the non-Biological side of Chemistry too, to be able to do well in A Level Chemistry. There is a lot of physical/industrial Chemistry in A Level Chemistry.
(edited 7 years ago)
Tbh, its my least favourite out of my A Levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths).
Might just be due to the teaching at my school but also because there's A TON of stuff to memorise and I prefer subjects like maths where it's not about memorising stuff but about skills? Not saying that biology doesnt require skills because it really does :redface:
Idk, you either love it or hate it but I have seen that people who are more into essay subjects prefer Biology.
Reply 13
Original post by Waqar_
Nice, how are you liking the science? Is the workload too much or is it manageable with enough revision or dedication :tongue:

It's really really good, I love the course I'm studying! The workload is very very high, even higher than it was in A Level Biology - but I'm really interested in all aspects of Biomedical Science (No more plant and animal biology HURRAY!!!) so it makes it more enjoyable.
Reply 14
Original post by surina16
Tbh, its my least favourite out of my A Levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths).
Might just be due to the teaching at my school but also because there's A TON of stuff to memorise and I prefer subjects like maths where it's not about memorising stuff but about skills? Not saying that biology doesnt require skills because it really does :redface:
Idk, you either love it or hate it but I have seen that people who are more into essay subjects prefer Biology.

Hmmm, this is what worries me, but I am dedicated so hopefully I will cope somehow :s-smilie::biggrin:
There is a lot of work not going to sugar-coat it but if you enjoy Biology then its interesting. Do you know what exam board you'd be doing? Have a look at the speicification and see if you would find it interesting, or at least the vast majority of it interesting. I do psychology, biology and history. I suffer with health problems hence why I only do three :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by sara_s01
Has anyone picked biology a level, if so, what do you think of it? :s-smilie:

I am doing AQA biology and I quite like it. It's a lot 'nicer', apparently! I quite like how there is no more coursework, my grades in science at GCSE were being pulled down due to my coursework in science.
Original post by AshEntropy

I want to study Biomed. What university do you go to? I study Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology
Reply 18
Original post by _4everfaithful__
I want to study Biomed. What university do you go to? I study Biology, Chemistry, and Psychology

I go to The University of Bradford. I really enjoy the BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science course here, it's very difficult but it's accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and approved by the Health and Care Professions Council, so it's a LOT easier to become a Registered Biomedical Scientist when you graduate.

I highly recommend that you only study BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science at a University that is IBMS Accredited if you are thinking of becoming a Biomedical Scientist.

List of Universities that Offer IBMS Accredited Biomedical Science Undergraduate Degrees:

The Robert Gordon University
Bangor University
University of Bedfordshire
Queen’s University Belfast
Aston University
University of Bradford
University of Brighton
University of the West of England
University of Abertay Dundee
University of Essex
Glasgow Caledonian University
University of Strathclyde
The University of Greenwich
University of Hertfordshire
University of Hull
Keele University
University of Kent at Canterbury
Kingston University
University of Lancaster
De Montfort University
Anglia Ruskin University
Cardiff Metropolitan University
University Chester
Coventry University
University of Lincoln
Liverpool John Moores University
University of East London
London Metropolitan University
Middlesex University
Queen Mary, University of London
University of Roehampton
University of London, St George’s,
University of Westminster
Manchester Metropolitan
Teesside University
Northumbria University
Nottingham Trent University
Oxford Brookes University
University of the West of Scotland
University of Portsmouth
University of Central Lancashire
University of Plymouth
University of Reading
University of Salford
Sheffield Hallam University
Staffordshire University
University of Sunderland
University of Surrey
York St. John University
Ulster University
University of Wolverhampton
(edited 7 years ago)
Biology is a good subject because it's very interesting well done parts but I must say there is a lot to memorise.

Quick Reply

Latest