The Student Room Group

what should i pick ?

What other a-levels could i choose with psychology.. Im thinking of doing a science for example biology but I'm not sure on what else to pick.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flower.
What other a-levels could i choose with psychology.. Im thinking of doing a science for example biology but I'm not sure on what else to pick.

What are you thinking of doing/studying after A Levels? Which subjects do you enjoy and/or do well in? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
What are you thinking of doing/studying after A Levels? Which subjects do you enjoy and/or do well in? :smile:

Im not sure. Im interested in psychology but what if its not what i thought it was when doing my a-levels. I enjoy business but i don't think i want to continue that.
Lots of good TSR advice about this here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_guide_to_choosing_your_sixth-form_subjects

Most important thing is to pick subjects you enjoy studying - because that is more likely to result in good grades.
Original post by flower.

What would you like to study in university?
Reply 5
Original post by Illimitable
What would you like to study in university?

I would like to study psychology
Original post by flower.

Ok, choose subjects which you generally enjoy at GCSE.
Reply 7
Original post by flower.

Definitely do biology. I know someone who studies psychology at uni and they are expected to know A-level maths as well.
Original post by flower.
Im not sure. Im interested in psychology but what if its not what i thought it was when doing my a-levels. I enjoy business but i don't think i want to continue that.

I'd suggest finding out which exam board your college uses for Psychology A Level, then having a look through the syllabus to see whether you think it would be interesting. If you want to do Psychology as a degree, it would be useful to choose at least one science A Level, such as Biology or Chemistry or Maths, and other relevant subjects such as Psychology, Sociology, English Literature or History.

If Psychology doesn't appeal to you, then I'd recommend choosing at least two 'facilitating' subjects, i.e. Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English Literature, History, Geography or a language, because these keep more degrees open to you. However, try to make sure to pick subjects you will enjoy, because you're more likely to do better in them if you like them :smile:
Original post by flower.

Then look at a variety of Uni websites to see what subjects they insist on or are 'preferred'.

Most will want at least one traditional science subject (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) and preferably some evidence of Social Science/Psychology ability. Don't forget to check the GCSE requirements as well.

If the science aspect puts you off, look at other allied subjects that don't need this. Examples are :
Childhood Studies (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2017/childhood-studies/bsc-childhood/)
Child and Family Welfare Studies (http://www.leedstrinity.ac.uk/courses/ug/16/L540)
Counselling (http://www.worcester.ac.uk/courses/counselling-psychology-bsc-hons.html)
Mental Health Nursing (http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate-course/mental-health-nursing/)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Choose something you have a genuine interest in. Otherwise it will drag.
Choose something that you like if you don't then it will be boring and a waste of your time.
Reply 12
Original post by Dhara102
Definitely do biology. I know someone who studies psychology at uni and they are expected to know A-level maths as well.

Thanks for the help. Im doing good in maths right now but i don't think i want to carry it on to a-levels as it may get too hard.
Reply 13
Original post by Leviathan1741
I'd suggest finding out which exam board your college uses for Psychology A Level, then having a look through the syllabus to see whether you think it would be interesting. If you want to do Psychology as a degree, it would be useful to choose at least one science A Level, such as Biology or Chemistry or Maths, and other relevant subjects such as Psychology, Sociology, English Literature or History.

If Psychology doesn't appeal to you, then I'd recommend choosing at least two 'facilitating' subjects, i.e. Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English Literature, History, Geography or a language, because these keep more degrees open to you. However, try to make sure to pick subjects you will enjoy, because you're more likely to do better in them if you like them :smile:

Thanks for the help. My mind is on psychology and biology and now im considering sociology.
Reply 14
Original post by Jooley
Choose something you have a genuine interest in. Otherwise it will drag.

Will do, thanks for the help :]
Original post by flower.
Thanks for the help. Im doing good in maths right now but i don't think i want to carry it on to a-levels as it may get too hard.

I know everyone will say that you should do the subjects you love but sometimes to get further and do something you love in the future you may have to study what you don't like first. Every subject is going to be difficult but to make things easier for you in university, I suggest you do maths.
I personally did not want to study biology at a levels but I am thankful someone forced me to because it will help me a lot in university.
Reply 16
Original post by Dhara102
I know everyone will say that you should do the subjects you love but sometimes to get further and do something you love in the future you may have to study what you don't like first. Every subject is going to be difficult but to make things easier for you in university, I suggest you do maths.
I personally did not want to study biology at a levels but I am thankful someone forced me to because it will help me a lot in university.

I like maths but im not amazing at it and im afraid it will be too hard and i won't be able to focus on my other subjects whilst worrying about maths. I don't think i want to do maths and i don't see why i need it..
Original post by flower.
Thanks for the help. My mind is on psychology and biology and now im considering sociology.

Hey :smile: I am applying for psychology at uni this year and I am currently doing A2 psychology sociology and English literature (I dropped Spanish). If you like maths or at least one of the sciences then it would be be useful to do that- but if you don't then it's okay for most universities because all the ones I've looked at count psychology. Personally, studying sociology has gone really well with studying psychology. It could also be a good idea to look at university preferred subjects and see which ones you like and think you can do at an A level level :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by Shaaayxp
Hey :smile: I am applying for psychology at uni this year and I am currently doing A2 psychology sociology and English literature (I dropped Spanish). If you like maths or at least one of the sciences then it would be be useful to do that- but if you don't then it's okay for most universities because all the ones I've looked at count psychology. Personally, studying sociology has gone really well with studying psychology. It could also be a good idea to look at university preferred subjects and see which ones you like and think you can do at an A level level :biggrin:

Thanks for the useful information. Did you take spanish for gcse? If you did please may you look at my other thread called spanish help. thanks :smile:
Original post by flower.
Thanks for the useful information. Did you take spanish for gcse? If you did please may you look at my other thread called spanish help. thanks :smile:

I did do Spanish GCSE but I think the specification has changed now? :s-smilie: So I'm not sure how much is be able to help you with that :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest