The Student Room Group

King's journey to AAA (I hope) at A-Level

Introduction
Hi everyone! I wanted to start this blog post because I know that I need even more motivation to do well this year (you will find out why soon enough) and I am wanting to gain AAA at A-Level. However, this year I am completing my AS's and so wish to achieve A*AB (an odd mix I know).

Background
I feel like I should start at the beginning instead of just listing my grades, because contrary to ordinary belief you are NOT just a grade. So, that being said, I went to an amazing Primary School, in my area, with fantastic teachers who were always pushing us so that we would achieve the best we could, no matter our ability and thanks to this approach I ended up gaining a 5 in each of my SATs (which had never happened before). I had, by then, taken the 11+ to get into the school of my choice - an all girls grammar school. Needless to say through shear hard-work and dedication, as I did not have tutoring like many others did.

Lower school is kind of a blur to me now, but I know that like most year 7's I worked as hard as I could, but I think I ended up 'burning myself out' by year 8. Throughout year 8 and 9 I just cruised along without putting loads of effort in but doing the required amount - nothing more and nothing less. I would, by this point, like to mention I was tested and found positive for Dyslexia at the end of year 7. Year 10, however, came as a shock! 2 years left until I take my GCSE's! The whole of year 10 I worked extremely hard but never really seemed to do any better for it, really disheartening me for year 11. Year 11 comes and I just breeze my way through it until the mocks after Christmas. That was my wake up call. I got 2 A's in my mocks and the rest B's, C's and a D. I would also like to mention, I wanted to stay at the grammar school for Sixth Form and needed A's in the subjects I wanted to take and 7 B's to be accepted. At this point I decided I would put all my focus on the subjects I needed to do well in and damned my other subjects to be forgotten, as by this point I had two short-course GCSE's in Citizenship (A*) and ICT (A) which equated to one of the 7B's i needed. I then came out with the following GCSE's:
Maths - A*
English Literature - A
Business Studies - A (a subject I had damned to be forgotten)
Biology - A
Further Maths - B (a subject I had damned to be forgotten)
English Language - B
Physics - B
Chemistry - B
History - B
Food Technology - B (a subject I had damned to be forgotten)
French - D (a subject I had damned to be forgotten)
(As a side note: This was between average and below average for my school, however I was EXTREMELY HAPPY with my results, I was ecstatic!)

I then started my AS-Levels: Psychology, Biology, History, Maths and Further Maths. I can't really tell you what I was thinking on results day to choose those options because to be honest with you, I have NO idea! :s-smilie: However, I ended up dropping History by Christmas because I hated the modules my school had chosen. Further Maths was dropped by March (but I continued with S2) and I ended up taking the following AS exams (including mock exam results, predicted grades and results):
Psychology
Mock - A, Predicted - Unknown, Achieved - D
Biology
Mock - D, Predicted - D/C, Achieved - D
Maths
C1
Mock - D, Predicted - B (overall), Achieved - C
C2
Mock - U, Predicted - B (overall), Achieved - U
S1
Mock - D, Predicted - B (overall), Achieved - D
S2
Mock - Unknown (Practice papers suggested A/B), Predicted - B (overall), Achieved - U
Overall - E (2 UMS of D)

In the Sixth Form I attend you must gain at a minimum 3 D's at AS to continue to study them to A2 and clearly I had not, meaning I had to either leave or repeat. I decided to repeat as I had wanted to change my subjects throughout the year in favour of different University courses. I am now taking: Psychology, English Literature and Media Studies. As you can see these are quite different to what I took last year, but suit the type of courses I'm looking at - English Lit, English, Creative Writing, Screenwriting and Film studies/and Television Production. I am loving my current subjects and I feel like repeating is a blessing in disguise and I currently feel was the right choice for me.

This Years Aims
Psychology - A*
Although it is not possible,I would like the equivalent to it (90%). I took the same course last year and came out with an A in the mock, but messed up the real exam so I want to do exceedingly well.
Media Studies - A
I haven't taken this subject at GCSE, but currently think I could do well in it.
English Literature - B
I haven't done English for a year so it is difficult to get into the swing of it, but hopefully will be able to pull through!

Next Year (provisional) Aims
Psychology - A
Media Studies - A
English Literature - A
I am aiming high currently, but these will change depending on how the rest of the year goes, which I will be keeping you updated with, but I feel like these are good aspirational grades for me right now.

This Blog
So, where do I want this blog to go? Well, for starters I hope it makes some people realise that not everyone on The Student Room get 15 A*'s at GCSE and 7 A*'s at A -Level (yes, that was a major exaggeration, but still) and that they then realise that some people are better at exams than others, but its how you tackle that problem that really counts. I am hoping to update you on how I'm revising throughout the year, what type of work I am being set and also what types of grades and marks I am currently receiving and how, throughout the year, they will (hopefully) get better. :smile:

If you made it this far, I would like to say well done! :biggrin: But also thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that it has either helped you or enlightened you in some way and will continue to do so! :smile:
Original post by 10cking

Introduction
Hi everyone! I wanted to start this blog post because I know that I need even more motivation to do well this year (you will find out why soon enough) and I am wanting to gain AAA at A-Level. However, this year I am completing my AS's and so wish to achieve A*AB (an odd mix I know).

Background
I feel like I should start at the beginning instead of just listing my grades, because contrary to ordinary belief you are NOT just a grade. So, that being said, I went to an amazing Primary School, in my area, with fantastic teachers who were always pushing us so that we would achieve the best we could, no matter our ability and thanks to this approach I ended up gaining a 5 in each of my SATs (which had never happened before). I had, by then, taken the 11+ to get into the school of my choice - an all girls grammar school. Needless to say through shear hard-work and dedication, as I did not have tutoring like many others did.

Lower school is kind of a blur to me now, but I know that like most year 7's I worked as hard as I could, but I think I ended up 'burning myself out' by year 8. Throughout year 8 and 9 I just cruised along without putting loads of effort in but doing the required amount - nothing more and nothing less. I would, by this point, like to mention I was tested and found positive for Dyslexia at the end of year 7. Year 10, however, came as a shock! 2 years left until I take my GCSE's! The whole of year 10 I worked extremely hard but never really seemed to do any better for it, really disheartening me for year 11. Year 11 comes and I just breeze my way through it until the mocks after Christmas. That was my wake up call. I got 2 A's in my mocks and the rest B's, C's and a D. I would also like to mention, I wanted to stay at the grammar school for Sixth Form and needed A's in the subjects I wanted to take and 7 B's to be accepted. At this point I decided I would put all my focus on the subjects I needed to do well in and damned my other subjects to be forgotten, as by this point I had two short-course GCSE's in Citizenship (A*) and ICT (A) which equated to one of the 7B's i needed. I then came out with the following GCSE's:
Maths - A*
English Literature - A
Business Studies - A (a subject I had damned to be forgotten)
Biology - A
Further Maths - B (a subject I had damned to be forgotten)
English Language - B
Physics - B
Chemistry - B
History - B
Food Technology - B (a subject I had damned to be forgotten)
French - D (a subject I had damned to be forgotten)
(As a side note: This was between average and below average for my school, however I was EXTREMELY HAPPY with my results, I was ecstatic!)

I then started my AS-Levels: Psychology, Biology, History, Maths and Further Maths. I can't really tell you what I was thinking on results day to choose those options because to be honest with you, I have NO idea! :s-smilie: However, I ended up dropping History by Christmas because I hated the modules my school had chosen. Further Maths was dropped by March (but I continued with S2) and I ended up taking the following AS exams (including mock exam results, predicted grades and results):
Psychology
Mock - A, Predicted - Unknown, Achieved - D
Biology
Mock - D, Predicted - D/C, Achieved - D
Maths
C1
Mock - D, Predicted - B (overall), Achieved - C
C2
Mock - U, Predicted - B (overall), Achieved - U
S1
Mock - D, Predicted - B (overall), Achieved - D
S2
Mock - Unknown (Practice papers suggested A/B), Predicted - B (overall), Achieved - U
Overall - E (2 UMS of D)

In the Sixth Form I attend you must gain at a minimum 3 D's at AS to continue to study them to A2 and clearly I had not, meaning I had to either leave or repeat. I decided to repeat as I had wanted to change my subjects throughout the year in favour of different University courses. I am now taking: Psychology, English Literature and Media Studies. As you can see these are quite different to what I took last year, but suit the type of courses I'm looking at - English Lit, English, Creative Writing, Screenwriting and Film studies/and Television Production. I am loving my current subjects and I feel like repeating is a blessing in disguise and I currently feel was the right choice for me.

This Years Aims
Psychology - A*
Although it is not possible,I would like the equivalent to it (90%). I took the same course last year and came out with an A in the mock, but messed up the real exam so I want to do exceedingly well.
Media Studies - A
I haven't taken this subject at GCSE, but currently think I could do well in it.
English Literature - B
I haven't done English for a year so it is difficult to get into the swing of it, but hopefully will be able to pull through!

Next Year (provisional) Aims
Psychology - A
Media Studies - A
English Literature - A
I am aiming high currently, but these will change depending on how the rest of the year goes, which I will be keeping you updated with, but I feel like these are good aspirational grades for me right now.

This Blog
So, where do I want this blog to go? Well, for starters I hope it makes some people realise that not everyone on The Student Room get 15 A*'s at GCSE and 7 A*'s at A -Level (yes, that was a major exaggeration, but still) and that they then realise that some people are better at exams than others, but its how you tackle that problem that really counts. I am hoping to update you on how I'm revising throughout the year, what type of work I am being set and also what types of grades and marks I am currently receiving and how, throughout the year, they will (hopefully) get better. :smile:

If you made it this far, I would like to say well done! :biggrin: But also thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that it has either helped you or enlightened you in some way and will continue to do so! :smile:

Hey there, well done on your grades so far, even if they are not what your school perhaps are used to, I can tell you tried your hardest and that's all that counts, though I am particularly impressed with your dedication with this blog to improve even further, so a huge well done!!

I'll definitely be following your blog to see how you get on and even though I'm not at the same level as you in terms of A-level, if you ever want to talk or need any help let me know and I'll see what I can do :smile:

Best of luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by brainzistheword
Hey there, well done on your grades so far, even if they are not what your school perhaps are used to, I can tell you tried your hardest and that's all that counts, though I am particularly impressed with your dedication with this blog to improve even further, so a huge well done!!

I'll definitely be following your blog to see how you get on and even though I'm not at the same level as you in terms of A-level, if you ever want to talk or need any help let me know and I'll see what I can do :smile:

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 3
Update 5/11/16
Today has been very productive! I went into town and brought a whole load of A3 card, some thick felt tip pens, organisation boxes and some plastic wallets. I have started a few 'mind maps' (I hate the term however) on 'A Streetcar Named Desire" for my English Literature class and I am so far going strong with one complete (but will be added to throughout the course) and the other I am halfway through!
I hope you are all having a great day,
King :biggrin:
Reply 4
Update 12/11/10
This week has been a very chilled week for me as I have had the flu. Monday I ended up going home during school and so had some English work to catch up on and the rest of the week my Media Teacher has also been off ill. I have, however, been completing my Media presentation about the three films I have chosen for section B of the exam, so hopefully it all goes well :smile:
Reply 5
UPDATE 07/10/17
Well it has been almost whole year since I posted on this, but for any of you who want to know how I actually did it is below :smile:

I took internal and external exams and received my predictions and before I get into them, I am actually so proud of how far I have come since back when I wrote this.

Internal Mocks:
Media - A - 89%
Psychology - A - 87% (I asked for it to be remarked, it never was, but a question hadn't been marked on my paper so I hope it would be over 90%)
English - B (A few marks off an A, I asked to retake it and was told not to bother and focus on my NEA)

External AS Level:
Media - A - 93% (185/200 UMS, MEST1= 97 and MEST2= 88)

I will be applying to university this year with the predictions of A*A*A!!

Thank you all for following what turned out to be short journey for you, but a very long one for me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending