The Student Room Group

How to (Painlessly) Apply to US Universities

Scroll to see replies

The content of the first post in this thread has been added to TSR Wiki in the forum to wiki transference project.

The content is now editable by all users, so please feel free to add to an update the content on the wiki page at 'United States Study:FAQs'.

If you need help with editing the wiki, please use the editing help page or ask for assistance in the Wiki forum.
Reply 21
awsm info.. BUT you say that its a 'short essay' for the Common Application! does it have a word limit? no right..?
Reply 22
hey you guys the common app.. how do u fill in the teacher recomends...? i mean do u jus print copies from the net and tell the teacher to fill it twice/thrice/four or more times over again and again?
Reply 23
Is this thread only useful for undergraduate courses?
And is there a similar thread for Graduate courses?
The Graduate programmes are so very confusing in the US! I want to study MSc in Economics/Finance but they are offering separate courses and in economics they are offering PhD and not a MSc
Please clarify my doubts
Reply 24
question here:
will they take in to account, the fact that im studying for ASs as well as SATs if i do them?
Reply 25
harryj0
question here:
will they take in to account, the fact that im studying for ASs as well as SATs if i do them?

Personally doubt it, as the SAT is not a taught subject in US schools either; we prepare for it in our own time as well. Also lots of us take AP exams or IB SL exams during 11th grade/Year 12, so it's pretty much accepted that "something else" (be it AS, AP or IB) will be going on during SAT time.
Reply 26
u need to do well in ure SAT1s as theyre a requirement oin most colleges now, but they only test ure aptitude..kinda like NFER tests, for the 2nd wave its SAT2s which for them detgermine ure potential as in how well ud do if u were accapted into their collge..u dont want to get mediocre score on the SAT1 as theyre commonplace exams in the states, it seems simple but theres a way to study smart for it and u dont want to be one of those ppl who take these things like 3 times coz its a waste of time..yes As and A levels are impt in some unis if u get A-Bs on a levels u automatically recieve credit and ure allowed to skip the introductory lectures and go straight into whicever module is next. Anywaysolid SAT scores, a well rounded profile and a well planned essay can make a difference in getting in.
Reply 27
Agneisse
Personally doubt it, as the SAT is not a taught subject in US schools either; we prepare for it in our own time as well. Also lots of us take AP exams or IB SL exams during 11th grade/Year 12, so it's pretty much accepted that "something else" (be it AS, AP or IB) will be going on during SAT time.

Fair enough the SAT isn't a taught subject in US schools but don't the AP classes prepare american students for the SAT subject tests. I've just been looking at the biology subject test on collegeboard and it mentions thinks that i've not covered in A-level biology.
I'm currently doing my A2s and my uncle has just sent over two SAT prep books called Grubers and Princeton Review. Are they any good or would you reccomend I get a different one. Also was just wondering if anyone knew whether A-level students did better on the SAT or ACT?
Thank you
Reply 28
mindy123
Fair enough the SAT isn't a taught subject in US schools but don't the AP classes prepare american students for the SAT subject tests. I've just been looking at the biology subject test on collegeboard and it mentions thinks that i've not covered in A-level biology.
I'm currently doing my A2s and my uncle has just sent over two SAT prep books called Grubers and Princeton Review. Are they any good or would you reccomend I get a different one. Also was just wondering if anyone knew whether A-level students did better on the SAT or ACT?
Thank you

And there are those of us in government-funded IB schools :rolleyes:

I think Princeton Review is good for the introduction esp. for SAT Reasoning (it's what I used, and I didn't exactly fail). Never tried Grubers. For SAT subject tests I have heard very good things about Barrons but again I used PR and didn't come off too badly.

SAT tries to trick you. ACT tends to be more straightforward but time is more precious. Depends on one's test-taking skills one or the other may be better, but there's always the option of taking both (officially, unis don't have a preference).
Reply 29
Thanks for replying. Which Uni are you at? I was only persuaded to take the SAT by my uncle very recently and I don't think I have time now to take the SAT and the subject tests before the international applicant deadlines. Would american unis mind me applying in a gap year? I have noticed Yale accept completed A-levels instead of the subject tests so surely they don't mind people applying in a gap year...
Reply 30
Agneisse
And there are those of us in government-funded IB schools :rolleyes:

I think Princeton Review is good for the introduction esp. for SAT Reasoning (it's what I used, and I didn't exactly fail). Never tried Grubers. For SAT subject tests I have heard very good things about Barrons but again I used PR and didn't come off too badly.

SAT tries to trick you. ACT tends to be more straightforward but time is more precious. Depends on one's test-taking skills one or the other may be better, but there's always the option of taking both (officially, unis don't have a preference).

Thanks for replying. Which Uni are you at? I was only persuaded to take the SAT by my uncle very recently and I don't think I have time now to take the SAT and the subject tests before the international applicant deadlines. Would american unis mind me applying in a gap year? I have noticed Yale accept completed A-levels instead of the subject tests so surely they don't mind people applying in a gap year...
Reply 31
mindy123

I'm in the equivalent of Year 13, trying to get across the pond for Uni.

Gap years are much rarer over here (or perhaps I just get a skewed perspective), but as long as you put the year to good use (i.e. not lazing around at home) it should be good.

There's a test date in November and one in December, and quite a few schools accept results from the January SAT test date. If you don't want to take a gap year, then you might want to try a sample paper or two and perhaps go for the SAT in Nov/Dec/Jan?
Talking about the SAT I... let me warn you, it is IN MY OPINION, one of the worst administered and worst exams I have ever seen in my life. And there are many reasons for it...

Firstly 25 minute essays... yeah right.. they expect us to be 25 minute essay writing machines or something...

Secondly, their bloody vocabulary questions... I mean really, I am an engineer, what do I need that grandiloquent vocabulary for?

Thirdly, that practice section. Oh right, you may not have heard about it yet... one of the sections in the SAT doesn't count for anything... in fact you're doing them a favour by helping them decide what future questions will be best to ask, but you don't get anything in return for the help. So they are using us like guinea-pigs... The best part is you don't know what part this is in the exam so you can't just leave it blank and **** them. Moreover if you had a section where you know you did pretty good in and came out of the exam pretty confident you may get a good mark in that section, well then surprises may come when the results show that, that particular section was the "test section"

Fourthly units. Mathematical answers require units, how long is...? and the answer has no units, that mathematically incorrect. Plus they just can't keep it to the SI system can they... I mean really SI stands for International... and I am pretty much certain International concerns USA as well...

And I would go on like this forever if I had to... but unfortunately I got tired of writing... I mean really, I did the bloody exam because they asked for it... otherwise I'd looked for any excuse whatsoever not to do this... I mean really, the Collegeboard really expects people to believe the crap they sell about "College success" they must be really dumb.
Agneisse
I'm in the equivalent of Year 13, trying to get across the pond for Uni.

How's your Cambridge application going?
Are you doing A level or APs?
Reply 34
xinolisss
How's your Cambridge application going?
Are you doing A level or APs?

I'm still waiting for my highly efficient referee to upload my reference (I gave him a sheet of detailed instructions last week) and to get my transcript from the school, and since I refuse to start the COAF until I get all the docs...Not very good :p: But I'm sure it'll all turn out fine.

And I'm doing the IB.

Also about the SAT - think about it as a means to an end. Parts are quite nonsensical (I agree about the essay section), but it's a hurdle. Much like how parts of A Levels/IB/AP/whatever curriculum can be quite ridiculous but is a necessary evil. (:
Reply 35
Anyone here filled the OUAC?
Reply 36
xinolisss
Talking about the SAT I... let me warn you, it is IN MY OPINION, one of the worst administered and worst exams I have ever seen in my life. And there are many reasons for it...

Firstly 25 minute essays... yeah right.. they expect us to be 25 minute essay writing machines or something...

Secondly, their bloody vocabulary questions... I mean really, I am an engineer, what do I need that grandiloquent vocabulary for?

Thirdly, that practice section. Oh right, you may not have heard about it yet... one of the sections in the SAT doesn't count for anything... in fact you're doing them a favour by helping them decide what future questions will be best to ask, but you don't get anything in return for the help. So they are using us like guinea-pigs... The best part is you don't know what part this is in the exam so you can't just leave it blank and **** them. Moreover if you had a section where you know you did pretty good in and came out of the exam pretty confident you may get a good mark in that section, well then surprises may come when the results show that, that particular section was the "test section"

Fourthly units. Mathematical answers require units, how long is...? and the answer has no units, that mathematically incorrect. Plus they just can't keep it to the SI system can they... I mean really SI stands for International... and I am pretty much certain International concerns USA as well...

And I would go on like this forever if I had to... but unfortunately I got tired of writing... I mean really, I did the bloody exam because they asked for it... otherwise I'd looked for any excuse whatsoever not to do this... I mean really, the Collegeboard really expects people to believe the crap they sell about "College success" they must be really dumb.

LOL I feel your pain but the tests are just so standard here that nobody really gripes about it. As for the essays, there is a specific formula for writing them that your english class generally helps you out with. Normally I read the prompt, come up with a thesis, then write my intro. My essay is always 4 paragraphs 1 intro, 2 bodies, and a conclusion. My body paragraphs always have an example from history and one from literature to back my point up. That always seems to work well.

And for the person who said that AP classes prepare you for subject tests, just know that AP Tests > SAT Subjects . The Subject Tests are painfully easy if you're in an AP class though. Easy to get over 700, but you're gonna have to work for it if you want an 800. I didn't study at all for my subject tests, I just walked in, sat down, and got a 720, 740, and 760. They're not that difficult, and your A levels should prepare you for them anyway. Just know that US universities don't care which ones you take, as long as they're different. Like you can't take US history and World History.

And for those of you taking the SAT a bit late and won't get results until after you've applied: you must indicate on the test which universities you want your scores to be sent to so they can be considered in your application. For example, I'm taking the SAT's again in November and the UC apps are due November 30th, so I'm going to mark on the test which UC's I'm applying to so my scores can be sent there.
mleoni1

And for the person who said that AP classes prepare you for subject tests, just know that AP Tests > SAT Subjects . The Subject Tests are painfully easy if you're in an AP class though. Easy to get over 700, but you're gonna have to work for it if you want an 800. I didn't study at all for my subject tests, I just walked in, sat down, and got a 720, 740, and 760. They're not that difficult, and your A levels should prepare you for them anyway. Just know that US universities don't care which ones you take, as long as they're different. Like you can't take US history and World History.

So then A levels > AP because I did A levels whilst doing the Subject tests and had seen absolutely 0 subject test papers before and got 800 800 790 in Maths II, Physics and Maths I :biggrin:

But yeah, subject tests are a walk in the park if you did AP or A levels...
mleoni1
LOL I feel your pain but the tests are just so standard here that nobody really gripes about it. As for the essays, there is a specific formula for writing them that your english class generally helps you out with. Normally I read the prompt, come up with a thesis, then write my intro. My essay is always 4 paragraphs 1 intro, 2 bodies, and a conclusion. My body paragraphs always have an example from history and one from literature to back my point up. That always seems to work well.

See problem with that is that English, the subject itself is not compulsory in British based schools in year 13, and hence most of us don't do the English or English Lit A level and hence it makes it slightly more difficult to prepare for this exam in year 13... well "prepare"
Reply 39
mindy123
Would american unis mind me applying in a gap year? I have noticed Yale accept completed A-levels instead of the subject tests so surely they don't mind people applying in a gap year...

Gap years, if anything, are encouraged by the top US universities. Harvard has a section on its website about the option, and Princeton has introduced the Bridge Year programme to encourage accepted students to defer.

And for the sake of full disclosure, I was admitted to Yale during my gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest