The Student Room Group

How to (Painlessly) Apply to US Universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Thanks, this thread answered a good number of my questions.

However, I am curious about the Early Decision program. Does applying earlier put across the message that I'm more serious about the university? Is it more competitive? Is there less of a chance of me getting in? (:woo:)

If anyone can answer these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :o:
Reply 41
HarryUS
Gap years, if anything, are encouraged by the top US universities. Harvard has a section on its website about the option, and Princeton has introduced the Bridge Year programme to encourage accepted students to defer.

And for the sake of full disclosure, I was admitted to Yale during my gap year.

Hi, I just noticed that US applicants thing in your sig...is that what you used to get into yale?
Reply 42
LadyTiamat
Thanks, this thread answered a good number of my questions.

However, I am curious about the Early Decision program. Does applying earlier put across the message that I'm more serious about the university? Is it more competitive? Is there less of a chance of me getting in? (:woo:)

If anyone can answer these questions, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :o:

Sorry to open up an old thread, but 'Early Decision' sends the message that you ARE more serious, but you cannot back out of the university (meaning if you're accepted, you have to attend otherwise you rik other unis droppin you). It is less competitive and you have a greater chance of admission and first shot at the financial aid pie.
This is probably going to sound whiny and maybe a bit stupid, so apologies in advance.

I really want to study in the US. Preferably New York so NYU or Columbia would be best for me(NYU Preferably), but I'm just a bit confused on where to start, and I don't understand what some stuff means.

At the moment I'm year 11 going on year 12, which I guess is the right time to start looking into this, but when should I actually apply and take the SATs, surely doing anything this year would be too early.

And also, just looking at NYU, I get so confused. Firstly I'm not entirely sure what I want to study, maybe psychology or maths, but looking at NYU there are so many different schools all with different courses that it's quite overwhelming and I really don't know where to start, and as I'll only be an undergraduate I can only chose between a small selection of these? Oh and that, what's the main difference between an undergraduate and a graduate, you have to pick another course after your undergraduate education?

again, sorry for being so...unknowing, This is just really something I want to do but am at a blank about.

(Is there some sort of guide detailing at what points in the year 12/13 education you should do things? I saw someone at school with one, but he isn't someone I talk to and I couldn't find anything similar online.)

Thanks in advance..
Reply 44
It may be worth your while to take the SAT and/or ACT during the spring of your 12th year. You could continue or retake certain tests during the fall of your 13th year. You will apply during the fall of your 13th year.

For NYU, assuming your academic interests stay the same, you would apply to the College of Arts and Sciences. You're not required to indicate a major on your application for that undergraduate school.

You would be entering as an undergraduate. Graduate and professional education happens after undergraduate education, for those who want to continue.
Aah just that has been a great help, really thanks a bunch. So with Undergaduate studies you don't take a specific course?
Reply 46
You do declare a major (and a minor or an additional major for some students), but you don't have to declare it on your application, and you can switch later. Along with the classes you'll take for your major, you will also fulfill general education requirements outside of your major.
ah great, thanks alot. (:
GurrenLagann, I'm in the same boat, but I'm looking at the Ivies. If someone could provide a sort of timeline as to when I'd need to start applying and studying for SATs, as well as the actual college applications, that would be much appreciated.
Oh one more thing, assuming reccomendations are needed, who would I get to write them?
I am really thinking about studying in the US.

I'm in year 13 and just going to get my results this month, expecting it to be a ABB or AAB.

Is it still possible for me to apply by taking a GAP Year? Would I be looked down upon for taking a GAP year?

Are my grades "bad" for the Ivy League?

In terms of "recommendations", would I have to get new ones from my teachers? or use the one that they gave me last year for my UCAS form?
such_a_lady
GurrenLagann, I'm in the same boat, but I'm looking at the Ivies. If someone could provide a sort of timeline as to when I'd need to start applying and studying for SATs, as well as the actual college applications, that would be much appreciated.

I usually say you should start your US application at least a year before the deadline. It can certainly be done in less time, but I've been that person, cramming SAT word lists while trying to write application essays, keep up with A-levels, dance practices and sleep and it wasn't pretty. Give yourself 3 months to study for the SAT reasoning. For subject tests it depends on how much of the subject you already know. Also, give yourself time to resit if something doesn't work out for the first time.

GurrenLagann
Oh one more thing, assuming reccomendations are needed, who would I get to write them?

Usually schools require two recommendations from teachers (some specify one science and one humanities teacher) who taught you within the last two years. You can send extra recommendations from a coach/boss/supervisor/whatever if you think it will add something extra to your application.

Darthdevidem
I am really thinking about studying in the US.

I'm in year 13 and just going to get my results this month, expecting it to be a ABB or AAB.

Is it still possible for me to apply by taking a GAP Year? Would I be looked down upon for taking a GAP year?

Are my grades "bad" for the Ivy League?

In terms of "recommendations", would I have to get new ones from my teachers? or use the one that they gave me last year for my UCAS form?

It's perfectly possible for you to apply but you need to start it NOW. There are more things to take care of than you think.

As long as you do something constructive in your gap year I don't *think* it would be a problem but I don't know too much about gap years and US unis. From what I have seen, most US students apply and then defer their place once they are admitted if they want to take a year off. I think it would be a reasonable assumption that admissions officers at top US unis would understand that gap years are perfectly acceptable in the UK and look at them accordingly.

As for your grades, they could be better. Ivy League applications are a crapshoot for anyone and even having all A*s at A-level wouldn't guarantee you admission. I think it's still worth a shot if you really want it as other aspects of your application are more important than you A-level grades, but don't get your hopes up (this is true for anyone applying to top US schools, btw)
Reply 52
Hi
I just finished my first year of alevels
and get my results next week, hopefully I move on to A2.

I had some sort of ephinany during this summer and I really really really want to go uni in america, specifically ucla as I feel a change is needed and I've got my heart set on going to university in LA.

I don't even know where to start to be honest but I want to try my best to get in a uni in LA

The only problem is financial I'm not sure as to how much it costs to study in the usa so if anyone can tell me this or if theres financial help for international students it would be deeply appreciated.

Plus the steps one would take in the venture of gettin in a uni in the usa
Reply 53
Here's an idea of costs:
UCLA: http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/budget.htm
University of Southern California: http://fbs.usc.edu/depts/sfs/page/4591/est-costs-2010-2011/
Occidental College: http://www.oxy.edu/x5046.xml

You can see it's not cheap (use XE.com if you want to convert to pounds). Don't expect financial aid from UCLA. I don't know the policies for the latter two. As a general rule, don't assume finances will work out if you decide to apply.

Before you do anything, you really need to decide if you want to go through the process of applying. You should also know that an undergraduate education in the US will be pretty different than that of the UK.

You would apply to many/most schools using the common application (UCLA isn't on it). There are a lot of steps and requirements needed for applications. Many schools will also require supplements to the common app that may include extra essays (in addition to your common app essay).

You'll need to take either the SAT or ACT by the December test date (if you want to apply during the 2010-2011 academic year). Some schools may require SAT subject tests in addition to the SAT or ACT.
Reply 54
Where can I take the SAT?
Reply 55
Anyone taking any post grad courses in the US? I was thinking of perhaps applying for law school but the finances are a bit of a stretch, especially vis-a-vis the GDL route in the UK.
Reply 56
dear but those students who are outsiders ,i mean they dont lived in USA ,but they want to apply ,how can they apply and what criteria should be adopt?
Where is the cheapest Uni to apply in, in America and in Canada?
Original post by empress1993
Where is the cheapest Uni to apply in, in America and in Canada?

Dunno about Canada.

In the US:
Top (ive league) ones give you guaranteed financial aid if you demonstrate that you need it.
Bottom ones are naturally cheaper just because they have a lower expenditure.
Middle-upper ones are the most expensive, and most don't give international financial aid.
Hi there,

I'm currently a year 13 student hoping to study medicine in a few years time, but I feel like I've had some kind of revelation due to some things that have (and haven't) happened. I'm willing to let medicine wait, because I know I want to do both the practical and academic side of it. So my favourite subjects are Biology and Chemistry, and I was wondering if it were possible to get a scholarship and do Biochemistry at Harvard. I know its an incredibly long shot, but I've already done some biochemical/biomedical research work which has been recognised and accreditted. I don't want to leave it all behind when I do medicine. Is there anyway that I can apply for a scholarship and enter by 2011? What sorts of things do I need to do?

Thanks guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending