The Student Room Group

How to (Painlessly) Apply to US Universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tkoki1993
What test should I do SAT or ACT?
Thanks

The SAT without a doubt - a high score on the SAT is definitely seen as more praise-worthy than that of a high score on the ACT (largely b/c though both tests have their faults, the ACT has been particularly attacked and thus perceived as being weak).
Reply 81
Original post by manchild007
The SAT without a doubt - a high score on the SAT is definitely seen as more praise-worthy than that of a high score on the ACT (largely b/c though both tests have their faults, the ACT has been particularly attacked and thus perceived as being weak).

Hey Manchild, do you know what the level of compeitition for somewhere like Berkeley is for a British applicant?
Anyone trying for Columbia? Love the look of the place but costing looks SCARY.
Reply 83
Great Thread

Just wondering about the "Activities" Section on the common app, from what i've gathered US universities place more emphasis on EC's thanks UK uni's just wondering from people who've apllied how much time/effort they put into this section.

The whole thing seems kind of vague in description so it doesn't strike me as overly important, or am I missing a trick here?
Reply 84
Original post by Hamwag
Just wondering about the "Activities" Section on the common app, from what i've gathered US universities place more emphasis on EC's thanks UK uni's just wondering from people who've apllied how much time/effort they put into this section.

The whole thing seems kind of vague in description so it doesn't strike me as overly important, or am I missing a trick here?

It's not important; the Common App is designed specifically for domestic US students in mind (for obvious reasons) and so the activities section is really meant for them. I applied as an international student last year and didn't write very much at all in this section and was perfectly fine with getting offers; universities take into consideration your an international applicant, and so don't judge you against domestic students who have different schooling to us etc.

Best of luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 85
Thanks alot, what I was kind of expecting but just wanted to clarify.
Okay so here's what I don't understand..

I'm supposed to start my applications now, right?
These applicant get sent before our A-level results come out so do the unis take us on just predicted grades or what? Someone please clarify that because I'm really worried about that specially because I want to get into MIT.. and they ask for midyear grades and secondary year grades. Lost?

Help me please and thank you =]
How do you sort out student loans? ...do you need a U.S citizen to take on out for you?
Also how much on average will accommodation + tuition fees cost and all the rest of it/
Reply 88
Original post by cashmoneyorg
How do you sort out student loans? ...do you need a U.S citizen to take on out for you?
Also how much on average will accommodation + tuition fees cost and all the rest of it/

Average fees are about $50k a year, meaning a total undergraduate degree shall cost over $200k (as undergraduate degrees are 4 years in America).

Moreover, there are NO student loans available for individuals who are not US citizens. Even if you know a US citizen as a relative, they cannot takeout federal loans on your behalf (for obvious reasons as it is the US government which provide them and so are only for its citizens to study with); however they can however take private commercial bank loans, but these are horrendously expensive (i.e. your looking at over 15-20% interest per year and predatory tactics in repayment) and should you miss any payments, they can take the collateral (usually the home) that the relative has put up for the loan.

Finally you'll need to have the money up-front (i.e. in your bank account) to study in the US anyways/before you can even enroll, as your visa shall not be granted until you can prove you have the money to pay for your education to the US embassy. If you don't have the funds before you enroll, you won't be given a visa.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MapleBacon
Average fees are about $50k a year, meaning a total undergraduate degree shall cost over $200k (as undergraduate degrees are 4 years in America).

Moreover, there are NO student loans available for individuals who are not US citizens. Even if you know a US citizen as a relative, they cannot takeout federal loans on your behalf (for obvious reasons as it is the US government which provide them and so are only for its citizens to study with); however they can however take private commercial bank loans, but these are horrendously expensive (i.e. your looking at over 15-20% interest per year and predatory tactics in repayment) and should you miss any payments, they can take the collateral (usually the home) that the relative has put up for the loan.

Finally you'll need to have the money up-front (i.e. in your bank account) to study in the US anyways/before you can even enroll, as your visa shall not be granted until you can prove you have the money to pay for your education to the US embassy. If you don't have the funds before you enroll, you won't be given a visa.

LLOOL guess i'm not going then

If I had my heart set on studying in America you would've shattered my dreams with 2 paragraphs lol
Original post by cashmoneyorg
LLOOL guess i'm not going then

If I had my heart set on studying in America you would've shattered my dreams with 2 paragraphs lol

Most of the best universities provide financial aid for those who need, some are need blind, i.e they don't take into account your need for financial aid into account when considering you, others, like Stanford and U of Chicago do, some don't give it at all.

However i am curious to anyone who reads this if they could please answer if when i apply for the SAT/ACT do i have to get a high school code, and could a local school/college become a test center as i don't much fancy going to surrey for the test as that's the closest from where i live( Black country, West midlands) Also what would i write on the essays, or do the questions change every year? I've read earlier on that preparing a year early helps, and because i've just started year 12, that mean now preferably, i've been preparing for the SAT reasoning for 3-4 months now but i may take the ACT aswell as it suits me better.
Reply 91
Original post by Rainingshame
Most of the best universities provide financial aid for those who need, some are need blind, i.e they don't take into account your need for financial aid into account when considering you, others, like Stanford and U of Chicago do, some don't give it at all.

This is false, as even with financial aid, you'll likely be paying more for university than you would even with the new fees in the UK; particularly with the recession in the US shrinking university budgets further still.

Things such as owning a house, your family income, owning any cars, bank savings and any other assets like investments, all are used to calculate what you shall be expected to pay. So, if you own nothing (i.e. no house, cars, savings, investments etc) and are from a low-income family and also a genius student (i.e. something truly special for the universities you are talking about), FA may help. For example, my parents (or rather parent) makes £9.5k a year and we own no home, no car, have little savings and no other assets such as investments. Even with this, my EFC (cost) shall be about $14k for 4 years (so about $60k for the entire degree), plus I'll be expected to work alongside studying during those 4 years, and produce another $3k in fees every summer through working back home in England.

However i am curious to anyone who reads this if they could please answer if when i apply for the SAT/ACT do i have to get a high school code, and could a local school/college become a test center as i don't much fancy going to surrey for the test as that's the closest from where i live( Black country, West midlands)

You'll get given a high-school code for whatever centre you are registered at; there are substantially more SAT centres than there are ACT centres (the latter I believe only has a handful). Its an incredibly long process to become a testing centre (which includes an inspection of the school etc) but if your local college/school is willing to go through it all, ask them to; its generally easier to be certified as a SAT test centre (as the test itself is more widely taken and used) than a ACT centre and costs less than the latter too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by PiDay
You'll get given a high-school code for whatever centre you are registered at; there are substantially more SAT centres than there are ACT centres (the latter I believe only has a handful). Its an incredibly long process to become a testing centre (which includes an inspection of the school etc) but if your local college/school is willing to go through it all, ask them to; its generally easier to be certified as a SAT test centre (as the test itself is more widely taken and used) than a ACT centre and costs less than the latter too.

Thanks, i might just drop the idea though, it seems alot of work for someone who only wants to do maths, or economics and wouldn't mind doing it here, i feel time spent helping getting into a uni here would be more useful :P
Reply 93
Original post by PiDay

I am a US student who, while being homeschooled and looking after my grandpa, took A-level tests and got AAAAA, and hopefully this year A*A*A*A*. I have 2100 on the SAT and 2 AP classes (both 5's), as well as about a 4.7 GPA from up to 10th grade (after that I was homeschooled).

I'm applying for a few such as Stanford (my favourite), Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Duke, and Penn, but I do not have SAT II subject tests. How likely is this to hold me back, and can A-levels or AP's supplement those requirements (read that somewhere) ?
Reply 94
Original post by FBailey23
I am a US student who, while being homeschooled and looking after my grandpa, took A-level tests and got AAAAA, and hopefully this year A*A*A*A*. I have 2100 on the SAT and 2 AP classes (both 5's), as well as about a 4.7 GPA from up to 10th grade (after that I was homeschooled).

I'm applying for a few such as Stanford (my favourite), Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Duke, and Penn, but I do not have SAT II subject tests. How likely is this to hold me back, and can A-levels or AP's supplement those requirements (read that somewhere) ?

You're probably better posting this question on college confidential. They post their acceptance/rejections on the site and it gives you a better idea of what it takes (practically everything) to get in.
Reply 95
I have a few questions, and any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Whens the very last date I can send my A Level Grades to North American Universities? I want to wait until I get my A2 grades (Ive just started year 13, a couple of exams went badly in year 12 so Ive got AABC in AS, predicted AABB, but I can get A*A*AA atleast with 2 retakes), so would it be possible to wait until my final grades before I send off any sort of application?

Should I be using CommonApp or Collegeboard for my application? Im so confused about this lol

From what I gather, I need to do SATs and SAT Subject Tests, but lookingg at the subject tests, the only ones I can see myself getting around 700 in are the 2 maths exams, the rest are past my knowledge (I do Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics).

Should I do the SAT AND the ACT? Will that make my application stronger?

A link to deadlines would be appreciated

thanks
heyy... what is considered good for a first try on the SAT?
and... is it worth it from people who've been there? I know i'd only be able to go if I could receive financial aid, hence would be applying to Harvard, Yale, Amherst, Princeton etcetc who offer it. :smile: (if i'm good enough to get in that is, and my parents go with the idea properly)
Original post by H94
I have a few questions, and any answers would be greatly appreciated!

Whens the very last date I can send my A Level Grades to North American Universities? I want to wait until I get my A2 grades (Ive just started year 13, a couple of exams went badly in year 12 so Ive got AABC in AS, predicted AABB, but I can get A*A*AA atleast with 2 retakes), so would it be possible to wait until my final grades before I send off any sort of application?

Should I be using CommonApp or Collegeboard for my application? Im so confused about this lol

From what I gather, I need to do SATs and SAT Subject Tests, but lookingg at the subject tests, the only ones I can see myself getting around 700 in are the 2 maths exams, the rest are past my knowledge (I do Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics).

Should I do the SAT AND the ACT? Will that make my application stronger?

A link to deadlines would be appreciated

thanks

I have a similar situation! Someone please reply-

I have great IGCSE results.. AS results-AABCC ... so I'm retaking the BCC with my A levels and I plan on scoring straight A*s .. and hopefully do well on my sats too, is there any way I can get accepted to MIT?
Reply 98
Has anyone ever applied to law school in the US?
Reply 99
Original post by Steffzz
Has anyone ever applied to law school in the US?

I think it's quite rare given that law is a graduate program.

Quick Reply

Latest