The Student Room Group

Application of knowledge vs Natural ability : Medicine MBBS

I'm a 23year old female currently studying an Acess to HE nursing course to allow me to become a midwife, something Ive always had a great deal of interest in. Since beginning the course I've realised that the hard work I'm putting in is really paying off and I'm finding the course a lot less of a struggle than first thought.

My dream job has always been to become a doctor, but I've never pursued it due to my thinking that I'm just not clever enough for it so I settled with the idea of midwifery, something I feel I would be happy in also. I'm now wondering if I applied the same learning that I'm currently doing to study medicine would I be successful?

For those of you who currently study medicine, how much natural ability is involvd and how much is the application of knowledge you're taught?
How good a memory do you have because I think a good memory is a great help. My friend did midwifery and found the course a lot harder than the access course.
Reply 2
Original post by redhelen
How good a memory do you have because I think a good memory is a great help. My friend did midwifery and found the course a lot harder than the access course.

Thanks for your reply, I'd say I've got a very good memory and take in knowledge quite well. I'm definitely set on midwifery but wondering whether to go the whole way and change to medicine.
Did you get good gcse grades as that is usually necessary to get on a medicine course, minimum of a B in English language for example.Also you would need to check which medical schools accept the access course in their entrance requirements.
Reply 4
I completed an access to HE course and am currently studying medicine. I don't think it takes any natural ability. It requires a natural interest. This will fuel the dedication needed to study and learn the material. I certainly don't consider myself a naturally talented learner. I just put to hours into learning the material and practise applying it on placement. Go for medicine if you have the drive!

Original post by Screech93
I'm a 23year old female currently studying an Acess to HE nursing course to allow me to become a midwife, something Ive always had a great deal of interest in. Since beginning the course I've realised that the hard work I'm putting in is really paying off and I'm finding the course a lot less of a struggle than first thought.

My dream job has always been to become a doctor, but I've never pursued it due to my thinking that I'm just not clever enough for it so I settled with the idea of midwifery, something I feel I would be happy in also. I'm now wondering if I applied the same learning that I'm currently doing to study medicine would I be successful?

For those of you who currently study medicine, how much natural ability is involvd and how much is the application of knowledge you're taught?
Most people that get into medical school qualify as doctors. It's very likely that you are "clever enough" if you can satisfy the admission requirements and are offered a place. I think you probably need a certain amount of ability to succeed at medical school but the bar is not as high as some people (including many medics!!) might think. You have to be (a) interested in learning (b) self motivated and (c) hard working. Once you are through the pre-clinical exams then most courses become a lot more like apprenticeships than a traditional academic course. Give it a shot if it's what you want to do.
Reply 6
Thank you to everyone for your replies, it's put my mind at rest and am now looking at what I need to do to make this happen! I certainly have a huge passion for this and am willing to work as hard as I need to, to succeed. Many thanks!!
You do see a fair bit of variation in natural ability at med school. Some people barely work the minimum but always do very well.. Some work extremely hard but can't hack it and drop out. But then the very intelligent aren't immune from failing if they're under-motivated either.

There's definitely a need to be able to absorb information quickly. Difficult to be more precise than that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending