The Student Room Group

A Streetcar Named Desire (Higher English)

I have been assigned an english homework task for a creative writing story on the story of Stella leaving Belle Reve and eloping with stanley to New Orleans but I am struggling to find any ideas.
Does anybody have any?
what is the actual question?
Original post by goldenusername
what is the actual question?

this was all i was given:

"Choose one of the following taks and write an 800 word (min) story in the first person:
Stella's Story of Leaving Belle Reve and Eloping with Stanley to New Orleans"
Hi, I'm currently studying the play for english lit A-Level :smile:
I would say start off with trying to imagine why Stella would want to leave Belle Reve, what circumstances would force her out - and maybe combine this with how Stanley may have convinced her to go with him. You could use the theme of patriarchy that is prevalent in the play, specifically its presence in the relationship between Stanley and Stella. I personally think that it would have been likely that Stella would have had many admirers back when she lived at Belle Reve so maybe consider why she would have chosen Stanley over them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by andrewsturgeon
this was all i was given:

"Choose one of the following taks and write an 800 word (min) story in the first person:
Stella's Story of Leaving Belle Reve and Eloping with Stanley to New Orleans"

If its creative writing then you make up anything right? Maybe say how she runs away with him because he wants to marry her, and then later on in the story Blanche finds them and tries to warn her about Stanley but Stella refuses all kinds help or advice from her sister because she thinks shes still mentally ill. Then Stanley's aggressive nature comes about again later in the story and its too late for Stella.

That's how i'd do it if i was you, just start writing and it'll come to you. Is this GCSE or a level? I studied this book last half term so if you need any help don't hesitate to ask :smile:
Original post by goldenusername
If its creative writing then you make up anything right? Maybe say how she runs away with him because he wants to marry her, and then later on in the story Blanche finds them and tries to warn her about Stanley but Stella refuses all kinds help or advice from her sister because she thinks shes still mentally ill. Then Stanley's aggressive nature comes about again later in the story and its too late for Stella.

That's how i'd do it if i was you, just start writing and it'll come to you. Is this GCSE or a level? I studied this book last half term so if you need any help don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Thanks, this is helpful.
I'm studying it at the moment at Higher, which is a scottish qualification which is the equivalent to a level. Yeah, I can make anything up an be as creative as I want to be but I'm just struggling to think of a creative idea as to how Stella and Stanley met.

Thanks for all the help!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending