The Student Room Group

Do we really need an 11/11 silence?

I'm not saying that we should disrespect the dead or anything but what is a moment of a silence really going to do for the world? Is it going to make a difference?
Lol why do a specific set of people need respect?
We don't have a moment of silence for people who've died of cancer
Original post by NotGodofWorld

because they voluntarily put themselves in a position which they were aware was highly dangerous yet still did it.
show some respect srsly.

What are you trying to say here? That the men and women who risk their lives for our country and those who've lost their lives doing so, not to mention all the innocent civilians who have been killed, injured or displaced as a result of conflict, don't deserve any respect because it's 'unfair' to people who died in a different way? The whole point of the minute silence is so we can remember and think about the devastating consequences of war and take time to feel grateful to our soildiers that we don't have to go through that. They don't NEED respect, we GIVE them respect because they EARNED it. That's not to say others who suffer don't get respect, for example we have things like Macmillan cancer support that raise money to help those who suffer from cancer and also to those who are going to die from cancer or lost a loved one to it. It's not as if giving one group of people respect means taking it away from others, and it doesn't even cost anything to you so I don't understand why anyone would be against it. Sure, you might not agree with why those wars are being fought, but you can at least understand the bravery of those who go to fight in them. To complain about it being a waste of time is ignorant, selfish, and REALLY disrespectful.
Original post by Salamandastron
because they voluntarily put themselves in a position which they were aware was highly dangerous yet still did it.
show some respect srsly.

Fair enough, I see what youre saying
Original post by Mnahel Saleem
What are you trying to say here? That the men and women who risk their lives for our country and those who've lost their lives doing so, not to mention all the innocent civilians who have been killed, injured or displaced as a result of conflict, don't deserve any respect because it's 'unfair' to people who died in a different way? The whole point of the minute silence is so we can remember and think about the devastating consequences of war and take time to feel grateful to our soildiers that we don't have to go through that. They don't NEED respect, we GIVE them respect because they EARNED it. That's not to say others who suffer don't get respect, for example we have things like Macmillan cancer support that raise money to help those who suffer from cancer and also to those who are going to die from cancer or lost a loved one to it. It's not as if giving one group of people respect means taking it away from others, and it doesn't even cost anything to you so I don't understand why anyone would be against it. Sure, you might not agree with why those wars are being fought, but you can at least understand the bravery of those who go to fight in them. To complain about it being a waste of time is ignorant, selfish, and REALLY disrespectful.

All I said was a moment in silence is not making a difference, you clearly went off a tangent thinking im saying its a waste of time.
All I said was a moment in silence is not making a difference, you clearly went off a tangent thinking im saying its a waste of time.

thats not it, you're saying it won't make a difference which isn't true because having this silence in schools and expaining why it happens means young people learn and realise the consequences of war plus for families and friends of soilders or really anyone affected by war it can really mean a lot. and the comment on how 'we dont have a silence on people who died from cancer' was thoughtless, we do show respect to other people who suffer just in a different way. i dont think you said it was a waste of time, i just dont think you understand why its important to so many people.
I didn't put the paris flag as my dp on fb last year so no I won't keep quiet for a minute on 11/11 :smile:
Reply 8
this is a way to pay our respects to the dead and to thier family or friends
Why notoput some effort into preventing wars rather than hail the uncessary deaths as heroism?
I'm not saying that we should disrespect the dead or anything but what is a moment of a silence really going to do for the world? Is it going to make a difference?

Think of it as a way to not forget the horrors of war and vow to avoid it at almost all cost. Any life cut-short is a waste.

Quick Reply

Latest