The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Midwifery - Course Ambassador Q&A

For last years Q&A please go to Midwifery 2015

New year, new thread!

Hiya,

I'm Tahi and I'm the Course Ambassador for Midwifery at Middlesex and the Team Leader for the school of Health and Education. I'm currently in my last year (gulp!) of BSc Midwifery.

If you have any questions at all about the course, life at uni, or just want to chat, feel free to scribble up a comment on here or ping me a private message.

I don't know all the answers, but I know quite a lot!

Tahi
Middlesex Course Ambassador
Midwifery
Reply 1
F.A.Q

1. What is the timetable like?
The course is 45 weeks of the year, with alternating 6 week (approximately) blocks of study at the uni and placement at the hospital. There's are fortnight breaks at Christmas and Easter and a 3 week break in the summer.
With both study and placement you will be expected to work a full work week (about 37.5 hours).

2. Can I choose which hospital I have placement in?
MDX has links with 5 placement hospitals for midwifery - Chase farm and Barnet, The Royal Free, The Whittington, Noth Middlesex, and Whipps cross. You will not be able to choose your hospital, however your term time address will be taken into account when you are being allocated.

3. What wilI need to get in?
The MDX page explains the entry requirements with a lot more detail than I ever could: Midwifery page.
Beyond the grades, MDX also requires you to have some work experience within the field, evidence that you have studied within the past 5 years, and be able to pass a DBS check and occupational health check.

4. What is a DBS and Occupational health check?
A DBS is a criminal record check. The university will pay for the check, and you will need to provide 2 pieces of valid ID for them to perform it.
An Occupational Health check is a blood test that checks you for immunity to common illnesses, after which you may need to be vaccinated. You will also need to provide a form, supplied by the University, that has been filled in by your GP.

5. Can I have a job whilst on the course?
MDX advises that you work no more than 4 hours during study time and not at all during placement, however it all depends on what you think you can handle. The course is full time, and the learning tends to be intense, meaning that it is possible to burn out if you’re over loaded.
I’ve found that working as a course ambassador works very well for me because the work is very flexible, and beyond the basic work that I have to complete every week, the amount of work I do is never more than I can manage. Also, my bosses understand that I am a student first and a course ambassador second and will never ask me to prioritize my work over my studies, which can be hard to find from an employer.

6. Will I be expected to work nights / weekends/ holidays?
With the exception of you pre-set annual leave (Christmas, Easter, summer), if you placement falls on a school or bank holiday you will be expected to work the shift you have been assigned.
In the case of weekends and nights, it depends on the timetable of your mentor as you will be expected to follow the shifts she does, so if she works nights or weekends you will be expected to too.

7. How soon do you start delivering babies?
You will need to have witnessed between 5 and 10 births, and at first you will mainly be supporting your mentor with births. You will never be left alone with a woman who is giving birth, and you will be supported by your mentor. Generally, most students will start to help with deliveries within thesecond half of their first year.

8. What do you wear?
MDX will supply you with 3 uniforms consisting of a tunic and trousers, these will generally be worn in antenatal clinic, and on the antenatal / postnatal wards.
When on Labour Ward, the hospital will supply you with scrubs, and whilst working in Community or on the Birth center you wear smart casual clothing, preferably something easy to clean.

9. Do I need to buy all the books on the reading list?
Not all, a lot of the reading materials for the course are on a digital format and you will have access to them as soon as you start the course. Also, almost all of the books required for the course can be found inthe University library.
That said, some books, such as a Midwifery pocket dictionary and nursing / midwifery drug calculation books, are invaluable and it is well worth having a copy of your own. Your tutors will suggest the best ones to get.

10. How does housing work?
MDX priorities housing based on distance from the university, but there is tonnes of student accommodation all within easy travel distance to the university. The best place to look for details of accommodation is the accommodation page on the MDX website. You will need to pick somewhere with at least a 45 week contact, though a 52 week one in better. Lots of student midwives will choose to move in with other StMs (Student Midwives) in their 2nd and 3rd year.

Again, this is a very general list, with very general answers,so if you have an specific questions don’t be afraid to ask.

Tahi
Midwifery
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Reply 2
Weekly diary 07.11.16 - 13.11.16

Continuing on from last year, every week I will be writing a diary to describe what I've been getting up to that week.

I must admit, last week was jam packed! It was my last week of block timetable (time in the university) before my next set of placement, and boy did they pack in the lessons! Apart from the MPAD (Midwifery Placement Assessment Document) there are 3 big assessments in the third year:

- A Care Plan: a reflective piece of work based on a scenario we've seen in practice

- A VIVA: an oral exam where we explain the standard practice for an emergency situation, with a drug calculations

- A Dissertation: an essay where we discuss a concept in midwifery that we feel needs more research, and a review of the current research that we are basing our concept on.

On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I was in lectures where we prepared for these assessments, learning the theory behind what will eventually become standard practice for us. Whilst there was a lot of discussion and writing notes, there was also practical sessions which really helped to ground the practical aspects of what we were learning.

Friday was a bit of a change of pace as I had a lesson with the Emergency Life Support team. Every year we have lessons with the ELS team so that we can practice skills such as CPR, moving and handling, and what to do in an emergency that isn't specifically obstetric.

These sessions are great because we get to learn skills in hospital like set up but we are still able to fail. This may seem counter productive, but it means that we get a chance to see our mistakes and make sure not to make them in a real life situation.

I'd love to say I spent my whole weekend studiously learning, but I didn't. I did do some bits and pieces of revision, but this weekend was mostly about self care: I had a lie in Saturday morning and took care of some long neglected stuff around the house, and Sunday was spent with my family, visiting our cousins and eating far too much Thai food.

It may seem a little lazy but every now and then it's a good idea just to take the time to recharge your batteries.

Tune in next week for placement fun.
Tahi
Middlesex Course ambassador
Midwifery
Reply 3
Diary 14.11.16 - 20.11.16

Back in placement, yay!

This year has been a little strange because unlike the last two years where my placement / study blocks were all about 6 weeks, this year the blocks have been about 3 to 4 weeks.

It feels good to be back though, and continue to put my theory to practice. I don't know about anyone else, but I think I learn better when I have a chance to discuss and physically run through what I've been learning, and what better place to do that than Labour Ward?

On my first day of placement I was working on maternity triage with my mentor. Maternity triage is basically A&E for pregnant and postnatal women. There are two exam rooms where women can be assessed and a 24 hour phone line where women can call in for information and advice. As a student, my role was to support the midwife during her assessments of women, and answering the phone if she was caught up in something.

Though, until I am qualified all I'm allowed to do is ask the women for their details so that the midwife can call them back. My other two working days were spent on labour ward, though I'll tell you more about that next week as I'm still on labour ward.

Tune in next week for more details

Tahi
Midwifery
Reply 4
Diary 22.11.16 to 27.11.16

Another busy week on Labour ward! It's been an interesting week this week, with lots of running around and looking after women.

I've been gaining more and more independence though, and my mentors have been trusting me to do more on my own with them supervising my practice. I've been needing less and less prompting too, and things are beginning to feel like second nature.

It sort of been exciting and scary. The new group of midwives has started coming in and working, and it's been strange to see people who until September were simply students from the year above, knowing by this time next year I will be in their shoes.

Still, enough navel gazing, there are babies to bring into the world and women to care for!

Last week on Labour ward next week, so tune in for a finally summary of what I've been up to!

Tahi
Midwifery
Reply 5
Diary 28.11.16 - 4.12.16

Last week on labour ward, and I'm sad to be going! It's amazing how much 3 longs days can wear you out though!

I've been working with two different midwives due to the fact that my main sign off mentor is a band 7 coordinator midwife and so whilst working with her does give me some great insite into the role of the coordinator, it has meant that my experience would have been limited as coordinators are rarely allocated labouring women.

I've had a broad mix of experiences between them, supporting antenatal, labouring, and postnatal women, which has really tested my adaptability.

I must admit, I'm ready for a break now and I'm really ready for my reading week!

Tune in next week for dissertation escapades.

Tahi
Middlesex course ambassador
Midwifery
Reply 6
Diary 03.12.16 - 11.12.16

I wish I could tell you I've spent this week working hard on my dissertation research but I really haven't. Turns out I've been a wee bit more tired than I thought so I've mostly been spending this week recharging my batteries.

I've been spending time with my family and friends doing a lot of talking and trying to get my head straight. This course can really take its toll if you let it get on top of you.

I can't say what I'll be updating next week, but keep tuned

Tahi
Middlesex course ambassador
Midwifery
Reply 7
Hi Tahi,
I have a test for the course coming up next week for Middlesex for midwifery and just wanted to know what the maths and english test was like? In terms of difficulty or just any general tips. Also should I dress smart?

Thank you.
Reply 8
Hi,

I had my maths and english test last week at mdx. Has anyone got any info back yet?
Original post by India77
Hi,

I had my maths and english test last week at mdx. Has anyone got any info back yet?

How was the maths test? Was is hard? x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending