The Student Room Group

I don't know where to start!

We have to be "so far along" in writing our personal statements by the time we get back to college, and i don't have the slightest idea what to write! I only decided for definite that i wanted to do a history degree about 2 weeks ago, and every time i sit down to try and draft some of my thoughts everything just comes out in cliches or sounds ridiculous. I know I want to study history, so why is it so damn hard for me to say what i like about it? Sorry if this is i nthe wrong forum btw
Reply 1
Date for UCAS is 15th October for Oxbridge. Official date 15th January for UK applications.Statements at my college for people applying to Oxbridge have to be in on the second week of September.
I would go into college tomorrow and check your own deadline, along with your draft of the personal statement so the teacher of the subject can look over it.

As for the actual statement, number one question: Why do actually want study history? Consider this seriously. Then, write a list of your attributes. Then construct simple sentences combining these two points. Back this up with any useful experiences you have had. Don't try to sound too sophisticated at first. Then when you edit it, you can "flesh it out". Go into college asap so a teacher can look over your draft. Don't worry, all colleges say you have to have "so far along" to make sure people actually remember to write them! You still have a couple of weeks left of holidays- plenty of time.
It's your personal statement, not your school's. You write it when and how you want to; they only put deadlines there for the people who wouldn't otherwise be bothered. If you've not done it, by the time you get back, don't worry about it- this is perhaps one of the first processes you'll go through on your own merits where you're treated as an adult.

That said, when you do write it, post it in the PS Helper forum. :smile:
Reply 3
I also found my personal statement really difficult to write, didn't really know where to start. In the end my structure was:

Why history is important to me, e.g. the past affecting the future etc.

The things I'd found interesting in my GCSE and A-level course and the skills that studying History had given me

Other subjects and how they had been useful, I related them back to History by saying stuff like Critical Thinking had made me more analytical etc.

Extra curriculars (v.short)

Concluding paragraph saying something along the lines of 'history is the most important thing in the world to me, please let me into your uni to study it'

I look over it now and there are parts which I think are hideously cliched but sometimes this can't be helped lol. If you're really stuck then a quote is a good starting point sometimes because you can discuss the quote and how it relates to you. Try this site: http://www.wisdomquotes.com/cat_history.html or just google 'history quotes' and there's loads of sites.
Reply 4
It's very good until the last point- 'history is the most important thing in the world to me, please let me into your uni to study it' which seems a bit too corny/desperate! Maybe phrase that in a more sophisticated way...
Reply 5
TheHistoryGirl
It's very good until the last point- 'history is the most important thing in the world to me, please let me into your uni to study it' which seems a bit too corny/desperate! Maybe phrase that in a more sophisticated way...

Just to be clear that wasn't my exact phrasing, just the gist of the last paragraph, that's why I said 'something along the lines of'. Obviously yes, that would make it sound desperate and corny. Do not write those exact words unless you secretly want to be rejected!
Reply 6
Don't try and start with the opening line (if that makes sense), and be prepared to scrunch the thing up 2 days before the deadline and write a brand new one on a complete whim, despite the many pain-staking drafts that you may have made of your original version!
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll start drafting it this week and see what i come up with. I need it to be really really good though and not just a run-of-the-mill one. This is going to be fun.
Reply 8
Sometimes in a personal statement I think you just have to lie, or at least sound intelligent and original even if you don't mean it. I found it difficult to explain why I liked History for the simple reason that I didn't really have a passion for it or anything, it just happened to be what I was best at lol. I don't think I was ever vehemently passionate about anything apart from religious philosophy, but I was crap at that so that was a no-go!

Try and think why History is important and why we need it in todays society, and why you find it interesting. Maybe there's a few books you've read that interested you. Maybe find an original quote from a historian about the nature or purpose of History and slip it into the opening paragraph. Good luck :smile:
tony_ron
Sometimes in a personal statement I think you just have to lie, or at least sound intelligent and original even if you don't mean it. I found it difficult to explain why I liked History for the simple reason that I didn't really have a passion for it or anything, it just happened to be what I was best at lol. I don't think I was ever vehemently passionate about anything apart from religious philosophy, but I was crap at that so that was a no-go!

Try and think why History is important and why we need it in todays society, and why you find it interesting. Maybe there's a few books you've read that interested you. Maybe find an original quote from a historian about the nature or purpose of History and slip it into the opening paragraph. Good luck :smile:

No! DON'T lie. That is the worst thing you can do. HOWEVER, you CAN doctor, emphasise, stress, cover up, gloss over, highlight, and just generally alter your statement so it says what you want it to say. A history degree is, basically, training you to assert your opinion more convincingly than other people. Start now! :wink:

I would also post the PS in the PS Helper forum where one of the attentive little elves whisk it off to PS land and analyse it using palmistry, astronomy, astrology, and a compass made from the hair of a yak to make sure it's the best it can be and give experienced opinions. :p:
FadeToBlackout
No! DON'T lie. That is the worst thing you can do. HOWEVER, you CAN doctor, emphasise, stress, cover up, gloss over, highlight, and just generally alter your statement so it says what you want it to say. A history degree is, basically, training you to assert your opinion more convincingly than other people. Start now! :wink:

I would also post the PS in the PS Helper forum where one of the attentive little elves whisk it off to PS land and analyse it using palmistry, astronomy, astrology, and a compass made from the hair of a yak to make sure it's the best it can be and give experienced opinions. :p:

lol, i'll do that. I've got some rough paragraphs at the minute, i'll need to read over them again though to make sure they don't sound all pretentious.

Latest

Trending

Trending