The Student Room Group

Computer science at UCL, Imperial or KCL?

Assuming one were to get offers from and make the grade for all three of these unis, which would be the best and worst to study computer science?

I would love to hear from people at these unis too about what the course is like etc :smile:
Original post by TheStudent19
Assuming one were to get offers from and make the grade for all three of these unis, which would be the best and worst to study computer science?

I would love to hear from people at these unis too about what the course is like etc :smile:

Going by popular opinion and reputation I'd say Imperial is definitely the choice out of the 3 for anything science/tech related.

But you may have other criteria that are more important.
Original post by goatygoat
Going by popular opinion and reputation I'd say Imperial is definitely the choice out of the 3 for anything science/tech related.

But you may have other criteria that are more important.

I've heard the Imperial Comp Sci course is super maths intensive. Do you know how it measures up to UCL in this sense? Where would you put King's in the list?
I've heard the Imperial Comp Sci course is super maths intensive. Do you know how it measures up to UCL in this sense? Where would you put King's in the list?

Comp Sci at any decent university will be maths intensive unfortunately. There isn't any way of getting around that. Of course there are trade offs to every decision and this could be a factor that you should take into consideration. UCL and King's are both great universities and I can't fault either of them. It's up to you to research exactly the details of each course- afterall, you will have some decision over what modules you do and these will be listed on their websites.

Depends which uni you like the most.
Original post by goatygoat
Comp Sci at any decent university will be maths intensive unfortunately. There isn't any way of getting around that. Of course there are trade offs to every decision and this could be a factor that you should take into consideration. UCL and King's are both great universities and I can't fault either of them. It's up to you to research exactly the details of each course- afterall, you will have some decision over what modules you do and these will be listed on their websites.

I like the look of both Imperial and King's in terms of course structure and modules etc. I'm not too fussed about the maths aspect either I was just wondering if it was massively more maths-focused than other courses but I take it from your answer that all Comp Sci courses will be kind of around the same maths-ness :tongue:

My Comp Sci teacher keeps telling me to avoid King's. Is this grounded in anything other than his own bad experience in the 90s? Does King's have a bad Comp Sci reputation that I haven't noticed?

hey, I study compsci at Imperial and it's definitely not super maths intensive. The only maths modules you have to take is a maths methods (mainly linear algebra) at the beginning of 1st year and then a stats modules in 2nd year. Just keep in mind that compsci in general is largely based on maths though, it's just that we don't have pure maths modules.

Also, if you get the choice between those 3 I'd say choose Imperial (although slightly biased). It is a bit more work than the others I think but so far I've found it enjoyable and there's a lot of support academically, especially during the first year (plus higher starting salary)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thecsstudent
hey, I study compsci at Imperial and it's definitely not super maths intensive. The only maths modules you have to take is a maths methods (mainly linear algebra) at the beginning of 1st year and then a stats modules in 2nd year. Just keep in mind that compsci in general is largely based on maths though, it's just that we don't have pure maths modules.

Also, if you get the choice between those 3 I'd say choose Imperial (although slightly biased). It is a bit more work than the others I think but so far I've found it enjoyable and there's a lot of support academically, especially during the first year (plus higher starting salary)

Thank you :biggrin: I think I want to go to Imperial, UCl or King's in that order. I just hope I get offers from all three :smile:
Thank you :biggrin: I think I want to go to Imperial, UCl or King's in that order. I just hope I get offers from all three :smile:

Imperial computing has the highest average graduate salary out of any course in the UK. It is also more prestigious than UCL and KCL. I don't think there's much debate over what's the perfect choice. The only downside is that you'll be surrounded by loads of geeky, cliquey international students, but that's probably gonna happen at any London university that's esteemed.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Imperial computing has the highest average graduate salary out of any course in the UK. It is also more prestigious than UCL and KCL. I don't think there's much debate over what's the perfect choice. The only downside is that you'll be surrounded by loads of geeky, cliquey international students, but that's probably gonna happen at any London university that's esteemed.

I really liked Imperial when I went to the open day but I'm worried that I won't get an offer because I don't do further maths (my school doesn't offer it). Also I got BBC at As with an A in epq so I'm not sure if they'll even give me an offer. I hope they do though (y)
Original post by thecsstudent

The higher starting salary is not a unique Imperial thing, BTW.

It's more implied that Imperial CS grads end up in places that historically pay well because of their innate abilities - nothing stopping anyone with the same abilities from a different uni from getting a high starting comp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending