The Student Room Group

Can I just do A Levels again...

I got A2s I'm not happy with at alllllll.

Now I'm thinking about doing a levels again, AS this year A2 next.

I'll do different subjects to what I a,ready have...

The thing is I want to apply for a History degree at Cambridge ( which I had an offer for) but I missed it and got an A instead of A* ( my grade in the exam was the lowest grade I'd got all year, and quite honestly was a smack in the face). (A Sociology A History A Psychology B Latin A2s). This makes doing a History degree at a top 5 university for the subject near impossible. To be competitive I'd need an A* in History. I am 100% certain I am of A* quality in History based on my general performance throughout the year. How can I get out of this guys ? If I did another history A Level but a different board would that help? Do the SATs and a History AP? Do the Cambridge Pre-U and aim for a D2 ( above A*) So instead of doing 4 entirely new subjects I do 3 new and one old? No idea what to do..

I'm really nervous about this L.ol but it's also saddd that the damage of my one bad History exam can basically not be reversed/ rectified!

My mum says I should do a Sociology degree first then aim for another Undergrad at one of my dream Unis after. I don't mind this, but is there a shorter way. I'm in no rush to go to university!! I'm homeschooling now out of choice. Lots of freedom Just want this so badly and it's so hard to geT now :frown:(

One exam can change your life, pretty upset haha..

Thanks for reading xx let me know ur thoughts
How about don't do four A2s? That's why you missed your offer, because you thought you'd look good by doing four subjects, and now you still want to do four...

No you can't do A-levels 'again' for the purposes you want. All certified exam results must be declared, so even if you did everything again, your original grades would still be shown. Cambridge doesn't accept resit candidates to that magnitude, which you would be. Yes one exam result can change your life; that's the whole point of exams. Go to another university; you're not going to get Cambridge with the grades you have, no matter what scheme you try to devise at this point.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Toxicblade
How about don't do four A2s? That's why you missed your offer, because you thought you'd look good by doing 4 subjects, and now you still want to do four...

No you can't do A-levels 'again' for the purposes you want. All certified exam results must be declared, so even if you did everything again, your original grades would still be shown. Cambridge doesn't accept resit candidates to that magnitude, which you would be. Yes one exam result can change your life; that's the whole point of exams. Go to another university; you're not going to get Cambridge with the grades you have, no matter what scheme you try to devise at this point.

I think that's a really unfair opinion. Firstly, I didn't miss my offer because of 4 A2s, my poor history exam was rogue and as I said all the other essays I did before that point would have allowed me to comfortably meet the grade. My offer was A*AA, the 4th wasn't relevant. A lot of people miss their grades for taking extra subjects, but not everyone. I'm doing 4 again to satisfy the requirement of three A Levels over 2 years ( being my new ones) as well as fixing my history. Secondly, it's very possible that if I got a first degree from a different institution I could apply to the university/ LSE/ Oxford again for either undergraduate or masters. Thirdly, I'm not sure if you fully understood my point. I'm not saying I'll resit the same A Levels, I mean I'll do different a levels ( English Literature, Geography, Religious Studies, Psychology, Maths etc.) As it's the first time I'd be sitting those they would not be classified as resits. I'm aware they ask you to declare all results, I did apply to them last year you know.

Also don't use the word 'scheme' please... it's not an evil plan...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Leontine
I think that's a really unfair opinion. Firstly, I didn't miss my offer because of 4 A2s, my poor history exam was rogue and as I said all the other essays I did before that point would have allowed me to comfortably meet the grade. My offer was A*AA, the 4th wasn't relevant. A lot of people miss their grades for taking extra subjects, but not everyone. I'm doing 4 again to satisfy the requirement of three A Levels over 2 years ( being my new ones) as well as fixing my history. Secondly, it's very possible that if I got a first degree from a different institution I could apply to the university/ LSE/ Oxford again for either undergraduate or masters. Thirdly, I'm not sure if you fully understood my point. I'm not saying I'll resit the same A Levels, I mean I'll do different a levels ( English Literature, Geography, Religious Studies, Psychology, Maths etc.) As it's the first time I'd be sitting those they would not be classified as resits. I'm aware they ask you to declare all results, I did apply to them last year you know.

Also don't use the word 'scheme' please... it's not an evil plan...

You need an A* in History, you don't have that. You'll be classed as a resit candidate because you will have repeated/resat a period of education, regardless of the subjects.

It seems like an evil plan, because you didn't get in and are trying to crowbar your way onto a course you cannot get on.
(edited 7 years ago)
They would still class that as second sittings realistically. Also do you have the 40k to fund a second degree? I think you should re-evaluate and consider other universities rather than using 2 years of your life on a plan which won't realistically get you a place.
Find another college and do it again. You can still get into a top university if you do it again. It doesn't have to be the end of everything. Check out other colleges and start again. That's what I did and I'm in My third year applying for university and I still got offers

Posted from TSR Mobile
The top universities won't accept resit students... Just look at universities which ask for 3As. You missed your offer- applying for 5 universities at AAA is all you can do now.

Quick Reply

Latest