The Student Room Group

Reputation of University of Leicester or Bradford, for MBA?

Hi everyone, this is my FIRST post. Anyways, I have a bachelor degree from university of Waterloo in Canada and I am currently working in HK. Both University of Leicester and Bradford offer distant learning MBA programme with tutoring classes in HK. Based on my research on ranking, Leicester has a better overal university reputation but Bradford has a better ranking on MBA. However, I read some posting here and people generally have not much good thing to say about Bradford and are even surprised that Bradford has such high ranking. So my question is, what do the local UK people think? Would you pick Leicester or Bradford and why? Thanks UK:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would pick neither if i had other options.
Reply 2
Thanks Kirsty, and your reasonings are?
Reply 3
I wouldn't say they are the most well known universities in the country.

They are definately not known very well in my sector of work - Healthcare - even though Bradford thinks it is.

Do other unis do the same course?
Reply 4
Kirsty,
There are only a few UK schools offer distant learning in HK. Other than these two, there are Hull, Cardiff and Warwick. It's obvious that Warwick is more well known but their program is 80% more costly but there are no tutorials and lecture so you are pretty much on your own. Also it's 3 years rather 2 years so I am not sure it's a good program. Any other comments? Thanks
Reply 5
Out of all 5 my list would be Warwick, Hull, Bradford, Cardiff, Leicester. Just on personal perception of the reputation of the universities generally. Don't dismiss warwick find out whats covered in the course. Maybe its more indepth or something. Obviously cost is important. But the best courses will cost more.
Hi, I am from Leicester and from what I have heard it is a very good Uni. I dont think it is fair to follow Kirstys flippant advice of the two Uni's. If you have to choose a Uni, I suppose I would choose Leicester over Bradford. It is more worthwhile, has good research and I think it is more well known worldwide.
Reply 7
Kirsty. For Warwick, they have 8 days mandatory on campus lecture per year of the of the 3 years and they make you write all exams in at once in Dec. I agree that they have a better reputation but the way how they structure the program isn't the best.
I have one quick question about Cardiff, is it still party or University of Wales or is it completed on it's own.
Becky, do you go to University of Leicester or you live in Leicester? Because I never lived in the UK, so a lot of my research is on the web and those ranking. I am a bit concerned that Leicester MBA program isn't really on the list. But I did hear a few people say overall it is better than Bradford. I have an impression that UK people don't like Bradford is because of the city itself or the racist issue over there, true?
Reply 8
In terms of the racist issue, that has died down now in Bradford, but it is still seen as a racist city. I don't like Bradford city- the architecture is foul! And i didn't like the look of it when i went to see a friend who studied there.

I didn't actually know Leicester did the MBA - i had heard of it from Warwick. I also heard Nottingham do a good one - but perhaps not the one your after.

I think cardiff is its own university now. Theres at least 2 institutions in cardiff - cardiff university and University Wales Institute Cardiff. From what i've heard both institutions are very good. In fact i have visited both when i was applying for courses and was very impressed.

Which list are you looking at for MBA's? It would be of great concern if leicester isn't on it.
Reply 9
oh, I forgot to mention that Imperial College also offer distance learning. Out of curiosity, is Warwick better than Imperial in terms of overall reputation?
~Kirsty~
I wouldn't say they are the most well known universities in the country.

They are definitely not known very well in my sector of work - Healthcare - even though Bradford thinks it is.

Do other unis do the same course?

Leicester has a good medical school and Bradford offers a course which allows you to progress to Leeds medical school. Have you never heard of these?

Regarding the OP's question: do you plan on working in HongKong? If so, do you think it matters where you get you MBA from? If not, then choose the course which teaches you what you want to know, rather than relying on what non-business people tell about about their views of b-school reputations.
Reply 11
I've never actually heard of leicester's medical school - i have heard of bradfords foundation course, but was a bit put off since someone in my year got onto it with 2 E's and a U.
Reply 12
I don't mind paying more for an MBA as long as it's worth it. If Warwick has some classes or lectures in HK like the other universities, then I would go for it. However, I am just not convinced how well one can learn MBA by self studying, especially you are paying a lot for it. Warwick is £13,350 where Leicester and Bradford is only £7500. Imperial Colleage is £20,000.
Reply 13
International fees vary so much - what a surprise!
Reply 14
The Boosh: I have been working for the same US firm in Canada and now in HK. I am getting a bit bored so I want a change but it's true that I plan to work in HK for a bit more. There is a good portion of employers, especially the big firms, recognise good UK schools. Any comments?
Reply 15
anyone...? comments?
Reply 16
Anyone will recognise any degree it wouldn't matter. A MBA with a good grade is better than a rubbish grade from a better university. But i also believe a good institution will charge more because it can, and because of its reputation no doubt, and that institution is more liekly to offer you more support - especially if distance learning.

You might be best looking for the business section of this site, in university courses to get discussion from business minded people - as mentioned above i have no clue when it comes to specifically business and MBA's i can only give you a perception of the general student at university.
Reply 17
good point...about business section
Reply 18
I'm from bradford and although it has a bad reputation I love it here. I will be sad to leave yorkshire when I go to university. Bradford itself is not a bad city and theres tonnes of new developments going on at the moment to make it better. To the person who said they hated the architecture in bradford, i personally love it! The city has a lot of nice buildings and i think its soo much nicer than other bigger cities such as leeds etc. There have been a few racial problems in the past but it's getting a lot better and I love the diversity of bradford. The university itself isn't bad and for some things it is excellent and quite highly ranked. Definitely bradford over hull.
i was suprised to read that bradford uni was a similar age to hull uni. i always thought bradford was a new uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending